introducing crib - help!

Fourth you ask? Your body is still full of pregnancy hormones as you adjust to life sleep-deprived with your new baby outside your womb.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

introducing crib - help!

Postby kuetoo73 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:37 pm

Our little one is almost 6 weeks old and is getting into the habit of sleeping either in his swing or on our chests. At this point, he's not a fan of his crib, but we feel he'll get a better sleep in his own space, rather than in the living room! Any advice for achieving this goal? At this point, he cries as soon as we put him in there. Thanks for any words of wisdom!
kuetoo73
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby 27jillfinallypreggo » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:14 pm

no words of wisdom but this happens to us and dd is 8 weeks--I am working on it by putting her in the crib when we can and if it doesn't work go from their. Eventually it will work, right???
me-31, DH-31, 18 months TTC #1
Chemcial Pregnancy April 2008
IVF #1--bfp, 6dp5dt.
Jada Lauren 9/25/09
Breastfeed for 16 1/2 months.
1/18/2011--SUPRISE Bfp! (on my second PP cycle)
William Michael 9/22/11
27jillfinallypreggo
Angel
Angel

Postby Tracylee » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:54 pm

We went through the same thing around 5/6 week mark with our first. We just started making sure she was swaddled really good and were consistant. All naps and bedtime were done in the crib until she got use to it and then we went back to naps in the bassinett and bed time in the crib. It's dificult but you just have to do it and cry with her the first few times,,,, I did.
ImageImageImage
Tracylee
Angel
Angel

Postby Stucky » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:16 pm

My favorite book is "sleeping through the night" by Jodi Mindell, its not really like the title suggests, its more just about baby sleep in general. She doesn't advocate anything like CIO or other crazy sleep tactics. Anyway, she is the head professor of sleep research at Philadelphia Children's Hospital, just saying you can trust her opinion which is that you cannot create any bad habits in the first 3-4 months so I say do whatever works!
I understand your fear, I co-slept with Phoebe and knew I didn't want to do it forever, I was so freaked out she'd never sleep on her own. I had her begin napping in a moses basket in her crib around week 6 tightly swaddled with white noise. At 8 weeksish I started putting her down for naps drowsy but awake (but I never let her cry if she did wake up) And at 10 weeks I transitioned her to sleeping at night in her crib. With my boys I moved them around 7 weeks to sleeping in their crib at night.
Me (Rebecca)-35
Dh 38
Ds Miles 7
Ds Reed 5
Dd Phoebe 11/19/08
Stucky
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Bubble1 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:27 am

I read something the other day that has helped with my l/o who won't be put down to sleep anywhere at the moment. It said that newborns take about 20 mins to get into deep sleep at which point you can move them and they are less likely to wake or startle. Might be worth a try, if he'll go to sleep on your chest but wakes up safe in his cot then he might gradually become more secure being put to sleep there.

Glad I'm not the only one having trouble putting my little one down!
ImageImage

Bubble1
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby simkoreb » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:13 am

I just went through this with my little guy (he's now 10 weeks). I never thought he would sleep in the crib. What we did was went from swing to his boppy bouncer chair. We put him in that inside the crib for a few days, so he was still sleeping upright, but not swinging. He had no problem making that adjustment. Then we went from that to laying on his back in the crib, and it worked! We keep him swaddled up tight, and I can't believe it, but it worked!!! I now have a baby sleeping in his crib! Good luck!
simkoreb
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Wishingandwaitingnomore! » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:56 pm

I'm having this problem as well. Gabe is used to sleeping in his newborn sleeper in the pack n' play, along with his little lamb swing.

Yesterday I tried letting him fall into a good deep sleep then picking him up and moving to his crib. He was still and quiet for a total of 5 minutes, then screaming. Then he wouldn't go back to sleep and missed his whole afternoon nap, lol.

Don't know what else to do other than try to move him in his sleep and let him wake up in the crib. Laying him there to fall asleep will not work. I swear he hates his room, only wants to be in the living room.
Sarah-30 :hb: DH-32
ImageImage
Wishingandwaitingnomore!
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

10 weeks old

Postby LiamsMama » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:05 am

We are having the same problem with our little one sleeping...He's extremley fussy at night and we end up sleeping with his or putting him in his swing. I reallly want him in his crib. I just don't know how to transition him. Any ideas?
LiamsMama

Postby MotoX Mom » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:52 am

I have been a little worried about this too, and wanting to use the crib soon. DD barely sleeps during the day, and if she does, its in the truck, or swing or bouncy.

Wishingandwaitingnomore - we have the same swing and bouncy. This sounds like my DD. She will lie flat during the day for about 5-10 minutes, then cries. If I nurse her to sleep, I can sometimes put her in the bouncy and she will sleep for an hour or so. I just nursed her and put her in the swing (cant turn it on yet, it swings WAY to hard, so I tied a string and will keep it going that way! LOL) and she has been down for an hour :) I was thinking about putting her in the bouncy in the crib? (like simkoreb did).

Me 42, DH 34, Happily Married 7 years
Proud and grateful to be a SAHM to our precious girl!

2009 IVF#1
MotoX Mom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby biokatie » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:38 am

We were lucky in this is my lo's preferred place to sleep. I hated to take him out of the bassinet in our room so soon but he just didn't sleep well in it. I also recommend swaddling (gives my lo something to do to try to get out of it) and also some lullaby music. Of course I have to run now because my lo is screaming in his crib. Good luck!
biokatie
Angel
Angel

Return to Fourth Trimester