Increased Fussiness

Fourth you ask? Your body is still full of pregnancy hormones as you adjust to life sleep-deprived with your new baby outside your womb.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Increased Fussiness

Postby Syrahfina » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:55 am

DS is almost 3 1/2 weeks old and over the last couple of days I am noticing that he is increasingly fussy....it's not colic, because it's not incosolable crying that lasts for more than three hours....

But he is waking up from naps screaming and sometimes just cries for no apparent reason after he's been fed and changed, etc....

If I pick him up he seems to stop---and the pacifier helps too----

Is it normal for fussiness to increase around this time? Is there anything I can do?
Me (Sarah)-30 DH (Peter)-37
DS1--Born November 7, 2009 after 2.5 years TTC
Baby #2 conceived first cycle! Amazing! Due August 13, 2011
Syrahfina
Addicted
Addicted

Postby mrsc84 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:20 am

I know around that age Joel suddenly lost his new born sleepiness and seemed more fussy/alert , Joel had a strong urge to suck and i had to introduce a paci at around 2-3 weeks cos he was getting annoyed with using me as a paci cos milk was coming out when he didnt want it to :lol:
if a paci seems to help so be it, perhaps he just needs soothing and by u picking him up he knows it his mama and all is well with the world. if its not hunger,in need of a bum change ,gas/wind or tiredness then it is prob just wanting a cuddle!
saying that there is still times when im just not sure what Joel wants after i have been through and done/checked everything and sometimes he just purely wants to be held! HTH
ally 25
darren 33
dsd 9
Joel-Jaydon born 17/aug/09 = 6lb 15oz

ImageImage

mrsc84
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Bee-Jeweled » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:50 pm

i agree - he may becoming more aware of the world around him and could be getting overwhelmed too. if he wants to be held or suck his paci i say do it! you can't spoil a baby that small - he's just barely out of the womb. hang in there momma!
Bee-Jeweled
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Bubble1 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:23 am

Hi Sarah,

I haven't been able to get on here for ages, new babies are very time consuming! Congratulations on the birth of your little boy. I had a boy too, Jacob who is 2 1/2 weeks old now. He too is a bit of a fussyone. I've found that in the day he only wants to sleep on me so I've been putting him in the sling lot's. If I put him down he wakes quickly and then fusses for food even though he doesn't really want it. I've read that it often takes newborns a while to get used to being alone and that often they get more independant at 3 months.....I'm hoping so, for now I'm just not getting very much done!

Think it's normal that your l/o is a bit fussy though!

Nat x
ImageImage

Bubble1
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby brenjay » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:37 pm

A lot of babies go through a fussy time, usually at the same time every day, from about 3-13 weeks. Ours used to be so SO fussy from about 7-9 every evening. He grew out of it at about 3 months.

Get yourself a sling, put him in there, go about your business. Slings can be magic at helping that fussiness, and also leaving your hands free.

You cannot hold him too often, rock him too much, comfort him too long. He is still so tiny, and the world is still so big and bright and scary. You're the only familiar thing to him right now, and an immense source of comfort and security. Just hold him close and love on him whenever he asks. You're doing great!
brenjay
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Prinycesa07 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:54 pm

IM noticing the same thing the past couple of days at 2 weeks old. She is not content to just sit there anymore and i have to hold her a lot more. Im glad to know that there is no such thing as spoiling this young.
Audrey Renee- 12/09/09
Owen Frederick- 4/8/11
Olivia Mae Noelle 12/25/14

Prinycesa07
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby KatieJo3 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:50 pm

I remember reading somewhere (for the life of me can't remember where) that there are times that babies will cry just to let off steam, not that anything in particular is wrong, but they just need to cry. Kind of makes sense if you think that there are times for us as adults that nothing is particularly wrong, but we still have emotions we need to get out, KWIM?
KatieJo3
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby illbeyourpride » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:50 pm

DS is only a week and a half old and he's definitely a fussbucket. If he's awake, which is more and more everyday, he needs to be held, usually with a paci.

I too had to stop letting him use me as a paci, because I was nursing AROUND THE CLOCK, and he would suck a bit and then spit the milk out. Lovely.
Heather, 25

DS1-Archer 12/17/09 Full term, 7lbs 2oz & 19"
DS2-Cohen 1/7/12 @ 34 weeks due to PPROM. 5lbs 7oz & 18". 11 day NICU stay.

Cloth diapering, bf'ing, SAHM.
illbeyourpride
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MotoX Mom » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:21 am

Oh my gosh, this has been my DD exactly. Starting at about 3w! She has been nursing around the clock to be soothed and does NOT sleep during the day but for an hour or two all broken up. I will nurse her to sleep and as soon as her head hits the bassinet, she wakes and then cries.

My pedi said there are all forms of colic and has called her colicky :? I WAS taking fenugreek for my milk and now I have read that can def make them fussy. I weaned off it, and she seemingly is better, but it's two steps forward, one back. Days are not consistent, but I guess at this age, they just arent?

I feel like I am constantly walking on egg shells, hoping and praying for her to sleep. She also started being VERY fussy during sleep at night. Constantly grunting and "pushing" squirming and sounding uncomfortable in her basinet. So she ends up sleeping on me!

Me 42, DH 34, Happily Married 7 years
Proud and grateful to be a SAHM to our precious girl!

2009 IVF#1
MotoX Mom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Fourth Trimester