Going back to work

Fourth you ask? Your body is still full of pregnancy hormones as you adjust to life sleep-deprived with your new baby outside your womb.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Going back to work

Postby jadie_f » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:34 am

I am fortunate enough to be able to go back only part time, and my mother will be babysitting one day a week,so I only need to put her in daycare 2 days a week. The daycare we picked is great, close by and has excellent references/reviews. I still am so terrified of leaving her there. I keep thinking what of they dont feed her enough, burp her enough, let her cry too long or get frustrated with her because she may cry alot? Leaving her with perfect strangers, no matter how nice and qualified they are, scares the hell out of me. They tell me to call and visit anytime I want, which I will do, but still, I worry so much about it, I'll hardly be able to do my job. I carry the insurance and DHs job alone cant support us, I am taking a bit financial hit as it is by cutting back my hours as it is. I go back in about 3 weeks and I am happy because I like my job but I just cant get over leaving her. Anybody else?
Di Di Ci Ci
:hb: 10/19/09 :hb:
Jay Jay Nay Nay is here! Born au naturel in my CAR!!!
:hb: 4/26/11 :hb:

And for my next trick....surrogacy! BFP 5dp5dt! EDD 2/22!

http://mylifeisblindhope.blogspot.com/
jadie_f
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby junior07 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:35 am

I go back on Friday. My mom will keep her the month of December but she starts daycare in January. I dread it so much! I have all the same worries as you. My DH works right across the street from the daycare so he can pop in anytime which I will encourage him to do.
My son went to daycare also and he survived and is a great kid now. I'm sure we will get through this too but it will be hard in the beginning.
GL to you.
Me - 35 DH - 36 DS - 5
It's a GIRL!

Lexie born October 6, 2009!
junior07
Star Member
Star Member

Postby brenjay » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:58 pm

Yeah, I dreaded it here, too. I've been back at work (full-time) for 3 months, now.

There is not much you can do beforehand to prepare, honestly. The only thing that helps is getting through those first two or three days, and coming to get your baby each day, and seeing that they are happy, healthy and clearly well-cared-for in your absence.

That is the only thing that gets you comfortable with the situation. Or as comfortable as you can be, anyway.

The first day is the hardest. You will get through it, though. Each day gets easier.
brenjay
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby PixieB » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:58 am

Have lots of little orientation visits before you go back to work. Use them as an opportunity for her carers to give her a bottle, so you can show them how she likes to be burped, how she likes to be held, how to soothe her when she's upset. The more contact time they get with the both of you before they're responsible for her care during the day the smoother the transition for everyone. Also use orientation visits as an opportunity to leave her in their care whilst you go and have a cup of tea (stay on the premises for licensing/ insurance reasons as until she's formally got her place and signed in you're still responsible for her). Gradually extend out how long you're out of the room for to acclimatise you and her to the separation.

Really important things to make the separations easier:
Keep the first few days short if you can.
Call whenever you feel anxious about her, and ask the staff to call you if she cries for more than 30-40 minutes solid.
Always say goodbye, never sneak away, and keep separations clean, after you say goodbye it's time to go, the more you drag it out the more stressed she'll get.
Always smile as you wave goodbye, even if you feel like your heart is being ripped out. Smiling tells her that being in care is a good thing, so she's less likely to be anxious about it. She picks up her cues from you for how to respond to new situations.
Give the staff a familiar toy, cuddly cloth or something that smells of you (like a t-shirt you've slept in or similar) to help them soothe her during the day.
Be as detailed as possible when it comes to writing down her daily routines, this is more than just writing how long she sleeps for, it's how you get her to sleep, songs that soothe her, where she likes to be patted/rubbed. The more detail, the more like your home routine her care when away from you can be.

Ok, I've got a screamy toddler, better go.
Talia Grace: born Friday 13th of July, 2007, at 27w4d gestation, 700g/1.5lbs. Nursed for 4 years
and Violet Joy: born Thursday 19th, VBAC waterbirth, 39w2d, 3.35kg/7lbs 6oz, still a booby monster, just shared it with her big sister for 18 months.
http://pics.livejournal.com/littlebutto ... y/0000scpq
PixieB
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jadie_f » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:21 am

thank you for the responses, we went to the daycare again last night and I feel better,we are going to do some little visits as well and maybe a half day or two before I leave her for the full 8 hours
Di Di Ci Ci
:hb: 10/19/09 :hb:
Jay Jay Nay Nay is here! Born au naturel in my CAR!!!
:hb: 4/26/11 :hb:

And for my next trick....surrogacy! BFP 5dp5dt! EDD 2/22!

http://mylifeisblindhope.blogspot.com/
jadie_f
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Fourth Trimester