mixing cereal with formula

Fourth you ask? Your body is still full of pregnancy hormones as you adjust to life sleep-deprived with your new baby outside your womb.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

mixing cereal with formula

Postby kuetoo73 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:06 pm

Everyone keeps telling me to mix cereal with my son's formula at night to help him sleep longer. Does anyone know at what age this tactic is ok to use? Our son is only 10 weeks old. Thanks!
kuetoo73
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby meg1492 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:16 pm

Nah...don't mix cereal with his formula. It's too soon for his little belly to handle the cereal at the very least.

He's only ten weeks old..he's not SUPPOSED to be STTN yet.
Last edited by meg1492 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dear Son born at 41w, delivered vaginally and med free after labor for a day and a half.

Image Image
meg1492
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jule92 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:40 pm

Please, please do not do this. You son is way to young to have anything other then breastmilk or formula..his digestive track is too sensitive and by doing this you could possibly expose him to allergies because his gut is not prepared to digest it.

As for the sleep thing, babies, especially ones as young as yours, are not supposed to sleep long stretches (I know there are a few that naturally do, that's not what I am referring to) their are numerous reasons for their waking and yes one is to eat. Do you know that when people put cereal in with the bottle the reason babies sleep longer is because their bellies are not yet able to process the cereal properly so it sits heavy in their stomach as they try to digest it? :( that makes me so sad

my suggestion for getting more sleep is to co sleep or if you are bottle feeding have your husband help you with the night time feeds

I know the first few months are hard but it does get easier and trust me when I say you will miss him being so tiny.

best of luck :)
ImageImage
jule92
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby bellesmomma » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:43 pm

It's way too early for cereal. Talk to your pedi. Ours says to never give cereal from a bottle. I know some will have you thicken bottles for digestive issues, but many don't even approve of that. Giving cereal now will more than likely cause constipation and tummy pain. It could also lead to allergies or infection fro the baby inhaling the cereal.
Here's some good info
http://www.drgreene.com/21_861.html
Take care momma, 10 weeks is too young to expect much sleep, but it gets better soon.
Annalee Belle and Irelyn Grace
bellesmomma
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jadie_f » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:53 pm

My mother fed my twin sister and I cereal at 8 weeks old to help us STTN, did it work? she says it did, did it hurt us? no, but I still wont do it. Every thing I read now tells you to hold off on anything but formula or BM until at least 4 months, probably six even. Did it hurt us? no, but if it was ok to do I dont see why most doctors and sources would say not to do it, im sure its not to torture us mommas :wink: Stick with the formula for now, anyway some mommas have tried this and it backfired by causing more gas and digestive issues making sleep more elusive. I feel your pain though, my daughter rarely sleeps more than 3 hours at a time, and never takes naps, so I have been quite deprived of sleep for 9 weeks. Us new moms get a ton of "advice" from everyone else, believe me i get it everyday. But when babies cry to eat, its because they need calories, nutiriton, and cereal doesnt provide much of either. Good luck, and I hope your LO starts sleeping a bit more for you
Di Di Ci Ci
:hb: 10/19/09 :hb:
Jay Jay Nay Nay is here! Born au naturel in my CAR!!!
:hb: 4/26/11 :hb:

And for my next trick....surrogacy! BFP 5dp5dt! EDD 2/22!

http://mylifeisblindhope.blogspot.com/
jadie_f
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:10 am

jule92 wrote:Please, please do not do this. You son is way to young to have anything other then breastmilk or formula..his digestive track is too sensitive and by doing this you could possibly expose him to allergies because his gut is not prepared to digest it.

As for the sleep thing, babies, especially ones as young as yours, are not supposed to sleep long stretches (I know there are a few that naturally do, that's not what I am referring to) their are numerous reasons for their waking and yes one is to eat. Do you know that when people put cereal in with the bottle the reason babies sleep longer is because their bellies are not yet able to process the cereal properly so it sits heavy in their stomach as they try to digest it? :( that makes me so sad

my suggestion for getting more sleep is to co sleep or if you are bottle feeding have your husband help you with the night time feeds

I know the first few months are hard but it does get easier and trust me when I say you will miss him being so tiny.

best of luck :)

Everything she said.

You don't want your baby to sleep long stretches at only 10 days old. You'll mess with the baby's digestive tract, ability to metabolize food, ability to regulate everything from temperature to appetite, and by not feeding every few hours (for a newborn at least every 2-3 hours) you'll risk him being labelled failure to thrive if he doesn't eat to gain weight.
Plus, they poop so much at this age, it wakes them up. If you leave him and don't change him, you'll risk diaper rashes and infections.

Feed him, hold him, cuddle him. You'll miss it.
Certified Lactation Educator and Breastfeeding Counselor
Mum to M, nursling 3-7-07 - 11-7-08 :hb: and Leo 4-13-09
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Reliance » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:02 am

FYI, another poster mentioned some babies naturally sleep through. Well I have had two of those babies and it is actually a problem. I have to wake my babies in the night to feed them because they don't gain weight well enough. Unfortunately babies are just not designed to sleep through. If they are doing it it is not "normal".
Baby Silas Malachi Robert born November 18, 2009 at 6:15pm. 7lbs 6.5oz.

Reliance
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kuetoo73 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:13 am

Wow, I'm glad I asked! Thank you so much for the responses - for now I'll just rely on caffiene! :)
kuetoo73
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby jadie_f » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:31 am

caffeine works for me, :lol: :lol: :lol:
Di Di Ci Ci
:hb: 10/19/09 :hb:
Jay Jay Nay Nay is here! Born au naturel in my CAR!!!
:hb: 4/26/11 :hb:

And for my next trick....surrogacy! BFP 5dp5dt! EDD 2/22!

http://mylifeisblindhope.blogspot.com/
jadie_f
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Bee-Jeweled » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:39 am

i would have to advise not to ever put cereal in bottles ... i know it used to be the thing to do to get babies to STTN years ago but now it is known that it can be very dangerous to do this. our pedi actually told us we should put rice cereal in our DD's bottle around 3 months to help her not spit up (even though it wasn't really a problem) so we did, naturally trusting our pedi, and had all kinds of issues with our DD. she started spitting up more and it was VERY chunky, not just formula. she slept worse at night. and she was very fussy with her eating habits. come to find out after i did my own research it is highly recommended to NOT add cereal to bottles because it can throw off your LO's "tank full" signal causing them to not eat enough. and even worse if they choke on their bottle (which my LO does all the time) and it has cereal in it they can aspirate the rice into their lungs and it can be deadly. it seems our pedi is not as current on nutrition as we had hoped ... always be sure to do your own research too.

Reliance wrote:FYI, another poster mentioned some babies naturally sleep through. Well I have had two of those babies and it is actually a problem. I have to wake my babies in the night to feed them because they don't gain weight well enough. Unfortunately babies are just not designed to sleep through. If they are doing it it is not "normal".

i really don't agree with this statement ... this may be the case with some babies but definitely not all babies. our DD was sleeping a 5-hour stretch at night from the first week she was born and she was back to her birth weight by her first weight check. she's now sleeping 10-hour stretches at 4 months and is in the 95th percentile for weight in her age group. as long as your LO is getting enough to eat during the day i think it's OK if they STTN. we never forced our DD to sleep when she didn't want to - we let her set her own schedule and fed her on demand and she's growing beautifully. every baby is different ...
Bee-Jeweled
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:10 am

Bee-Jeweled wrote:
Reliance wrote:FYI, another poster mentioned some babies naturally sleep through. Well I have had two of those babies and it is actually a problem. I have to wake my babies in the night to feed them because they don't gain weight well enough. Unfortunately babies are just not designed to sleep through. If they are doing it it is not "normal".

i really don't agree with this statement ... this may be the case with some babies but definitely not all babies. our DD was sleeping a 5-hour stretch at night from the first week she was born and she was back to her birth weight by her first weight check. she's now sleeping 10-hour stretches at 4 months and is in the 95th percentile for weight in her age group. as long as your LO is getting enough to eat during the day i think it's OK if they STTN. we never forced our DD to sleep when she didn't want to - we let her set her own schedule and fed her on demand and she's growing beautifully. every baby is different ...

I think that is what she's saying, about all babies being different. That some babies can STTN early on, and others do but it becomes a problem. She's been having a problem, and I've been following her story on the BF forum, about her LO not gaining enough weight. All stories need to be shared, and I don't think she's saying that *all* babies who STTN will have a weight gain issue or that it's the norm for babies to STTN at that early of an age. It isn't the "norm". It might be "normal" for that baby, but it's definitely not the norm.
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Bee-Jeweled » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:20 am

i completely understand that and totally agree ... i know the average baby doesn't STTN that early. just wanted to make sure the pp knows it's OK if they do, too, if they are healthy. saying "Unfortunately babies are just not designed to sleep through. If they are doing it it is not "normal"." is a little misleading. it can be normal for some babies and nothing to worry about.
Bee-Jeweled
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:31 am

I see what you mean and I agree. Maybe we're just using the word "normal" in different ways. When I mean it's not "normal" for babies to STTN, I mean its not standard or common behaviour. Not that it's problematic. :)
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Reliance » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:08 pm

Yeah I just meant it is not normal (?the norm, isn't that what normal means?) for babies to be able to do that. Not that the odd baby can't (And I don't mean there is anything wrong with babies who do). lol. We agree. Also I totally understand wanting then to STTN. Gotta say I look forward to the day when I can let DS sleep without waking him.
Baby Silas Malachi Robert born November 18, 2009 at 6:15pm. 7lbs 6.5oz.

Reliance
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Fourth Trimester