Postpartum HypER thyroid - Desperate for answers.. Updated

Fourth you ask? Your body is still full of pregnancy hormones as you adjust to life sleep-deprived with your new baby outside your womb.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Postpartum HypER thyroid - Desperate for answers.. Updated

Postby meantangent » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:23 pm

Wanted to update and say that in the last few weeks I have now entered the hypO thyroid phase of this ordeal. Much better then the hyper. I will take the 7 pounds I gained over the tremors and anxiety I was having.. I feel tired and run down but way more tolerable..
ANyway I see my endo tomorrow. Should be interesting to see what he says. I am thankful though as this proes I do not have Graves disease or a toxic nodule..

I had Kolbie Aug 24. About 6 weeks after she was born I began having dizzy spells. I chalked it up to being overtired. I have four kids 4 and under after all. Anyway at the beginning of Dec I felt really ill one day. Shaky , weak, dizzy, sweating. I went to a clinic and they ran a full CBC and checked my kidneys and thyroid too. My thyroid results were TSH 0. T4 35. I have hyperthyroid. I have been told there is a good chance this is postpartum. Anyone know anything about how long it may last. It was kind of gradual at first then all of a sudden it hit. It is now about three months. I have read it can be 2 weeks to 6 months. There is so many varying incidents. My GP went and personally spoke with the endo to get me in due to my anxiety. I actually see him tomorrow morning. Apparently another wonderful side affect to being hyper. It is so bad I think often I am dieing. I am nursing and hope to continue. This is my fifth baby. Never had any issues before. If any one can shed light please do so. I have never felt so rotten and scared at the same time

Danah
Last edited by meantangent on Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mommy to 3 beautiful girls and one rambunctious boy!

Tanner kenneth ^i^ Born into Gods arms
04/25/2004 I miss my son so much..
meantangent
Addicted
Addicted

Postby operamommie » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:39 pm

Yup - I had this problem after my DD was born. It didn't kick in until she was probably around 6 months old, and I started having panic attacks for no reason. It was scary and insane. I constantly felt like I was running a marathon - exhausted, hot, starving but losing tons of weight, etc. The heart palpitations and dizziness are scary too.

They put me on Propranolol - it helped tremendously until my thyroid sorted itself out. Is there any way that your endo can prescribe this for you? There really is no sense in making you suffer through all the insane symptoms of hyperthyroidism when they can be treated until your thyroid regulates.

(BTW, it took about 4 months before they diagnosed me, and my thyroid took another few months to sort itself out. It can take a while, so toughing it out is not necessarily the kindest option, especially if you're also having the anxiety issues. It made parenting very difficult for me.)

Good luck! I hope you find a solution that helps you feel better! :hugs:
Me:26 DH:27

operamommie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby meantangent » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:54 am

Thankyou

I cant believe I found someone who is going through the same or has gone through the same thing. IT is terrible!!

I saw the endo he thinks four possible causes, the first being postpartum and or because I had a virus shortly after DD was born that could have attacked my thyroid also. Both are temporary.. The other two he said are less likely and that is Graves disease and or a toxic nodule. But they are down on his list. He is giving me a few months to see if it clears up on its own. I am nursing so I cannot take the beta blocker unless I wean. Seeing that most of the time I cope fairly well, he has allowed me t continue and be followed every few weeks.

Also if it does not clear I need to do an uptake scan with radio active iodine.. I hope it doesnt come to that! Did you have to do the scan??

Thanks again. I felt so alone in this..

Danah

meantangent
Addicted
Addicted

Postby kalebsmom » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:16 pm

I was found to have Graves disease at my 6 week post partum check up with DS. I had no symptoms at all though, they felt a goiter so sent me for lab work. I had the nuclear scan where you have to take the radio active iodine pill 24 hours before hand and it was not bad at all. The worst part was not being able to hold my baby for the 24 hours after taking the pill. I hope you get to feeling better!
kalebsmom

Postby operamommie » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:28 pm

meantangent wrote:Thankyou

I cant believe I found someone who is going through the same or has gone through the same thing. IT is terrible!!

I saw the endo he thinks four possible causes, the first being postpartum and or because I had a virus shortly after DD was born that could have attacked my thyroid also. Both are temporary.. The other two he said are less likely and that is Graves disease and or a toxic nodule. But they are down on his list. He is giving me a few months to see if it clears up on its own. I am nursing so I cannot take the beta blocker unless I wean. Seeing that most of the time I cope fairly well, he has allowed me t continue and be followed every few weeks.

Also if it does not clear I need to do an uptake scan with radio active iodine.. I hope it doesnt come to that! Did you have to do the scan??

Thanks again. I felt so alone in this..

Danah

No, I was nursing, so I chose not to do the scan. I didn't want to wean for the required period. That's why I don't have a definitely diagnosis at this point, we're just watching and waiting for my thyroid to swing out of whack again.

I'm confused as to why you can't take propranolol - I took it without a problem while nursing - it's rated as an L2 drug by Dr. Hale. That's about as safe as a drug gets for bfing, although he does say in there that if your baby is asthmatic, not to take it. Other than that though, there is no reason to suffer through that hell without the beta-blocker. And it is hell. I totally know. Doctors will usually err on the side of caution with bfing and any drugs, since most don't actually have a clue about bfing and drug interactions and the complexity of that relationship. I would go back to your endo and ask for a script for propranolol, and explain to them that it's an L2. Unless your baby has asthma, the benefits almost definitely out-weight the risks. I hope you can get this all figured out - it's not an easy thing to cope with. :hugs:
Me:26 DH:27

operamommie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blessed03 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:37 pm

whoah whoah whoah.. having a hyper thyroid can cause you to have panic attacks???? ive been borderline for 3 years.. just recently at about 5-6 months pp ive been having anxiety issues.. hmm,, maybe i will have the doc look into my thyriod more.. thanks for posting!
Me: 26
DH:28
DD:8
DS: 3
blessed03
Angel
Angel

Postby meantangent » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:33 am

Anxiety is a horrible symptom of hyper. It would definately warrant a check!

I saw an endo and he thinks it may resolve but it can take 7 months. So he agreed to just watch me for now because I want to keep nursing. Lately I started to have pains in my neck. Not sure if they are phycological or not due to the anxiety from being hyper. I actually was feeling pretty good for over a week then all of a sudden bang back to crap again. I wonder if it can fluctuate where you feel ok and then bad for a bit then ok again. This is a terrible thing to have. I pray everyday I wake. Up to normalcy again. Just walking up my stairs makes me huff and puff. I am always hot , brain fog, dizzy, vertigo type stuff. The worst is the anxiety. Will keep you posted. Can any one share more how they felt. Can the levels fluctuate a lot?? My endo is away and I don't see him for another four weeks.

Danah

meantangent
Addicted
Addicted

Postby meantangent » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:08 am

Wanted to update in case any one else goes through this they know they are not alone. Update in OP. Thanks

meantangent
Addicted
Addicted

Return to Fourth Trimester