Going back to work

Fourth you ask? Your body is still full of pregnancy hormones as you adjust to life sleep-deprived with your new baby outside your womb.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Going back to work

Postby agk11808 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:29 pm

Okay ladies, i know many of you are just having your babies, and a couple of us came in early, but i am on my last week of maternity leave and having a hard time already thinking about leaving my baby girl. my husband will bring up next week, and i look away starting to tear up and tell him to stop talking. i am going back m-w-f for 2 weeks then full time after that. a friend of mine is watching aryssa in her home 3 blocks away from my work, and i know i can stop in during the day to visit, but it is really hard thinking about it.......
so any 2nd time working mommies, or anyone-- how did you do it, any tips on getting through the first couple of days???
Last edited by agk11808 on Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Me- Amy 27
DH- Grant 28
DD- Aryssa 10-30-09
DS- Carson 11-19-11
DD- Maycee 8-12-13
My Blog http://www.mamakandherkrew.blogspot.com
Aryssa and Carson's announcement
Baby Maycee Image
agk11808
Angel
Angel

Postby jadie_f » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:45 pm

im going thru the exact same thing. Im in my last week of leave and I am fortunate enough to only have to go back part time but I am devastated. I really wish I could be a SAHM bt we just cant afford it, we can barely afford me going back part time. My mother is watching her one day a week so she'll only be in day care 2 days and its right down the street but I am still so so so sick to my stomach when I think about it. Its horrible and I just cant wait to get the first few weeks over with, everyone tells me it gets better. We can be miserable back to work buddies :?
Di Di Ci Ci
:hb: 10/19/09 :hb:
Jay Jay Nay Nay is here! Born au naturel in my CAR!!!
:hb: 4/26/11 :hb:

And for my next trick....surrogacy! BFP 5dp5dt! EDD 2/22!

http://mylifeisblindhope.blogspot.com/
jadie_f
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby agk11808 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:53 pm

i would love to be miserable going back to work buddies :hi:
Me- Amy 27
DH- Grant 28
DD- Aryssa 10-30-09
DS- Carson 11-19-11
DD- Maycee 8-12-13
My Blog http://www.mamakandherkrew.blogspot.com
Aryssa and Carson's announcement
Baby Maycee Image
agk11808
Angel
Angel

Today is my first day back to work...

Postby kuetoo73 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:12 pm

... and I can't wait to get home! We're fortunate to have a nanny in our home (not live-in) with him during the day, and I'm grateful that he's in his own environment, but its still so hard. We all know that no one will take care of them like mom does! I hope it gets better soon... this ache is unbearable. :(
kuetoo73
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby nessifly » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:15 pm

*lurking*

It is hard going back no matter how big or little your l/o is. :hugs: to you, I remember that feeling when I went back in August and I still feel that way some days now!

Best I can tell you is let yourself feel sad and it does get better, but it takes a couple weeks - it's kinda like Baby Blues Part 2.

That's great your friend is watching her. Maybe she can email or text you pictures of your baby girl throughout the day :)
Me:31 DH:32
nessifly
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jadie_f » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:36 pm

I'm going back tomorrow, uhhhhhh, its awful, im sick to my stomach
Di Di Ci Ci

jadie_f
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby space07 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:40 pm

We have a working mom buddy group that everyone is welcome in! It is hard to go back, believe me I know! I went back full time at 8 weeks pp and had to pump 2 times a day and see my baby at lunch just to get through the day. It was really hard to leave her, but and I eventually cut back to part time, but I really like me job and I feel like it is important for me to continue to develop my career as well as being a wife and mama. It is all a balancing act, but it will be ok!!
Me- (29 ) DH- (31 )12/1/2008 DD
Gently self weaned at almost 21 months
space07
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby amandapanda » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:01 pm

Oh girls I am right there with you, went back to work last month!

It was SO HARD at first, but I'm actually really enjoying it now, let me throw out some postive things for you to keep in mind. :)

- You can pee and eat whenever you want to! What a luxury, haha!
- Even if you're not pumping, say that you are - they have to give you a private room. Sneaking away to a private room 3 times a day is a DELIGHT I use the time for cat naps, phone calls, and yoga/stretching, and nobody knows!
- You can get some exercize in during your lunch break, bring tennis shoes & take a brisk walk.
- Know that your baby is having a wonderful time socializing with other adults, and maybe other babies too. The social skills they pick up at this age from interacting with people other than you & your spouse is extremely important.
- My office has a grocery store, a bank, etc next door, so I run errands on my lunch break or before I go home, and I can get a LOT done without having a baby in tow, so I have more time with baby when I get home. :)
amandapanda

Postby jadie_f » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:41 am

- You can pee and eat whenever you want to! What a luxury, haha!

:lol: so true
Di Di Ci Ci

jadie_f
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mom2nicholaspatrick » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:50 am

I am going back to work this Tuesday. I am a teacher so I still can't eat and pee when I want to!
ImageImage
ImageImage
mom2nicholaspatrick
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby PixieB » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:18 pm

Allow yourself to cry, call whenever you feel worried, write down what you're really worried about and what matters to you most about your baby's care during the day.
The first day is the hardest. She's too young to really get anxious when you leave so at least you're saved those tears (starting care at 12 months is the hardest because separation anxiety peaks then).

Leave a digital camera with her and ask for random photos of her during the day. Ask for more information than just the eat-sleep-nappy stats, the special stories will help you through your day. Give yourself a good long amount of time to settle her in at the new environment before you head off to work, just so you feel safe (she'll be reading how to respond to any new situation from your stress levels). If you're rushing you're more likely to miss details you feel are important and you won't be able to settle yourselves in as gently. Give yourself at least a half hour just settling in at your friend's place so you know she's safe and you've remembered everything.

It's hard because it's a big unknown and your baby is the biggest emotional investment you will ever make. It could make a real difference if you sit down and really think about what's troubling you. If you can identify what exactly you're scared of/worried about then you can address that in what you ask of her carers. If you're worried about her crying whilst you're not there, ask her carer to call you if she's been crying more than half an hour solid, and reassure yourself that she will get cuddles when she's upset. If you're worried about her settling to sleep without your usual routine, write down your usual routine so her carers can emulate it as closely as possible, and include a muslin wrap that you've slept on for a night or three in her bag of stuff so there's something that smells like you for her to snuggle in and feel safer.

There's a lot of constructive things you can do to allay and dispel your fears. Once you make yourself aware of them, and face them using your frontal lobe rather than letting the anxiety reign supreme it will get easier to deal with and you can catch yourself when you're just reinforcing the panic. And let yourself cry, let yourself grieve. It's perfectly normal to feel this way, and there's no sense in bottling it up. And let DH help you, he needs to feel like he can support you, like he can protect you. Your relationship will be better for it.
Talia Grace: born Friday 13th of July, 2007, at 27w4d gestation, 700g/1.5lbs. Nursed for 4 years
and Violet Joy: born Thursday 19th, VBAC waterbirth, 39w2d, 3.35kg/7lbs 6oz, still a booby monster, just shared it with her big sister for 18 months.
http://pics.livejournal.com/littlebutto ... y/0000scpq
PixieB
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Fourth Trimester