Going to first shot appt, any advice for mom?

Fourth you ask? Your body is still full of pregnancy hormones as you adjust to life sleep-deprived with your new baby outside your womb.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Going to first shot appt, any advice for mom?

Postby MotoX Mom » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:17 am

DD is getting her first shots in about 1/2 hour...I cant bear to see her in pain! I am going to ask pedi if I can BF her while they give shots...any other advice for mom?

Me 42, DH 34, Happily Married 7 years
Proud and grateful to be a SAHM to our precious girl!

2009 IVF#1
MotoX Mom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby KatieJo3 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:56 am

If you can't BF while the shot is being administered, BF right afterward.....it'll calm her down and I remember that there are some benefits to nursing after a vax, but can't think of them now. You might cry when they give her the shot, just be prepared for that. I made my DH go with me to the first shot visit.....and I was right, I was a weepy mess when she got her shot.

Ask if you need to give her Tylenol for the first 24 hours after the shot (some pedi's advise this). Also ask for any adverse reactions to keep an eye out for. Ask if a fever is common with the vaxes being administered and how long it might last.

Your LO will probably sleep a bunch after the shot too.
KatieJo3
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Cinder4320 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:08 pm

Nolan wouldn't nurse during and once he started screaming it took about 10 minutes to get him calm. I started nursing soon afterwards and got him to sleep. We were given the tylenol dosage for him in case he got a fever in between regular appts. but the Dr. said the vaccine he got should not cause a fever and it didn't.

My Dr. recommended a dose of Ledum (homeopathic) to help with the soreness from the shot. She also stated that in the future there is a supplement called prevax that can help ready a babies immune system for the vaccine.

Miranda
affordable, trendy cloth diapers http://www.firstcoastfluff.com
Like us on FB http://www.facebook.com/FirstCoastFluff for specials and deals!

Due Nov. 4th 2009...Arrived Oct. 25 2009
Due Aug 31 2012...Arrived August 16 2012

m/c January 2011 @~6wks
m/c July 2011 @~8wks

ImageImage
Cinder4320
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby gardangels » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:15 pm

I spread the shots out and started later with them. When my DD was only 2 months, I felt she was just too small for a polio vaccine, KWIM? As she got older, I felt she was stronger.

There is no way to make it easier for the momma. It's awful. I hold her in my arms and say soothing things and get her into her carseat or a familar situation asap. I don't think they will let you BF, but I wouldn't do that. Just let the child experience it as a single experience, not part of a feeding. Or consider waiting for her 4 month to start the shots.

I don't give the tylenol unless I see a fever. I only let her get one shot at a time, per visit. She was done with her shots before she was 2 and she ended up not needing some as they change the schedule.

Getting blood drawn is even worse, avoid it if at all possible.
Nicole Me:40, DH: 48
DD Brianna born August 2007
DS/DD2 twins Parker and Lana Born May 25, 2010
gardangels
Addicted
Addicted

Postby operamommie » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:05 pm

I agree with the PP - don't bf while the shot is being administered. You don't want your baby to form a negative association with feeding - pain should not ever be part of feeding. Definitely bf right after though - then she gets the comfort. Good luck!
Me:26 DH:27

operamommie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MotoX Mom » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:54 pm

really like our pedi! he decided to wait 2 more months since DH has a cold, and i am right behind him with it! he also has a scaled down schedule that makes me more comfortable :)

opera - i was wondering that too...i think after is better too

2009 IVF#1
MotoX Mom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Cinder4320 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:26 pm

That's great news!

Nolan is on an alternative shot schedule. We never do more than one shot per visit and are delaying some shots until he is older and not giving others. It's good your pedi. let you be flexible too.

Miranda
affordable, trendy cloth diapers http://www.firstcoastfluff.com
Like us on FB http://www.facebook.com/FirstCoastFluff for specials and deals!

Due Nov. 4th 2009...Arrived Oct. 25 2009
Due Aug 31 2012...Arrived August 16 2012

m/c January 2011 @~6wks
m/c July 2011 @~8wks

ImageImage
Cinder4320
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MotoX Mom » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:54 pm

gardangels - i actually teared up in the waiting room just thinking about it!

2009 IVF#1
MotoX Mom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby space07 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:47 am

Motoxchic wrote:really like our pedi! he decided to wait 2 more months since DH has a cold, and i am right behind him with it! he also has a scaled down schedule that makes me more comfortable :)

I was all prepared to tell him which shots we were OK with and which ones we werent and he basically already follows our schedule! And he was totally fine with waiting until 4 months and he doesnt mind her getting just one shot per visit! I am really glad you like him and you were comfortable with the outcome!
Me- (29 ) DH- (31 )12/1/2008 DD
Gently self weaned at almost 21 months
space07
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Fourth Trimester