glycerine suppositories

Fourth you ask? Your body is still full of pregnancy hormones as you adjust to life sleep-deprived with your new baby outside your womb.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

glycerine suppositories

Postby MotoX Mom » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:54 am

DD has not been able to poop on her own since Dec 30th. Per pedi instructions i have had to use a qtip in her bottom to help her go. i will do this after about 2.5-3 days...she cries in pain if i dont.

the front desk lady at the pedi said to try apple juice 1-2oz a day :shock: isnt she a little young? she already has been colicky and i dont want to do anything to complicate her digestion. i made her ask the dr how many days i should wait before helping her go, and when she called back, she said 2-4 or when nothing else will stop the crying and its been a while.

after she asked the dr, she said dont give juice til shes older and i can try the glycerine suppositories. What exactly do these help? her poop is still soft (maybe like sour cream texture). i am not sure why this has changed in 1.5 weeks? she was going everyday before. i dont want to give these to her unless they are necessary.

i have read that some babies it takes a while to put the 'push' together with the "letting go"...when they try to push it out, they tighten theie tummy and bottom, so it does not work :(

Me 42, DH 34, Happily Married 7 years
Proud and grateful to be a SAHM to our precious girl!

2009 IVF#1
MotoX Mom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jadie_f » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:28 am

i really wouldnt do the apple juice, it has a ton of sugar and i know i cant even drink it without stomach upset, i doubt it would be good for a 2 month old. I got great advice from amanda about catnip tea. If Di has poop problems I give her an ounce or so of mild catnip tea in her bottle. Its supposed to help relax the digestive system so she can poop more easily. It really worked for us. Also i do bicycles with her legs, hold her in a standing position and help her do like little squats, gravity and motions help, warm baths or a warm compress on her belly, lay her on her back and help her do little sit ups, all this helped so much with Di's issues, but she mostly had trouble getting out her gas. If her poo isnt hard, it doesnt sound like she is actually constipated, just having trouble learning how to coordinate her ab muscles and rectal muscles. Its just my opinion, and I am no doctor, but I would be worried about her getting too used to the q-tip help and further inhibiting her ability to learn how to do it...but I understand not being ble to just let her go that long especially if she is in pain. Your in a tough situation momma :hugs:
Di Di Ci Ci
:hb: 10/19/09 :hb:
Jay Jay Nay Nay is here! Born au naturel in my CAR!!!
:hb: 4/26/11 :hb:

And for my next trick....surrogacy! BFP 5dp5dt! EDD 2/22!

http://mylifeisblindhope.blogspot.com/
jadie_f
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby operamommie » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:45 pm

We're having this same problem - both the m/wand the pedi recommended using glycerin suppositories, but I'm getting apprehensive about the fact that he's only pooped once in the last two weeks without the suppository. I don't want him to be dependent on it, but it's the same thing - he's absolutely miserable after 2 1/2 days, but his poop isn't hard either.

With the suppository - I never have to use a whole one; not even close. I just stick the end of a little one in his bum until he poops and them throw the rest away. Even so - I don't like him being dependent on that to poop. I'm hoping someone else has some insight because this has been weighing heavily on me lately. He's also EBF, so I don't understand why the issues... :?
Me:26 DH:27

operamommie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Cinder4320 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:02 pm

I'm in the exact same position. Nolan has been like this from birth. I've only used a suppository once but we do the thermometer in the rectum sometimes too. I only stimulate him when it gets 4-5 days and he is fussy. If its not bothering him then we don't do it and he'll usually go on his own. I wish he would hurry up and learn to poo!

Miranda
affordable, trendy cloth diapers http://www.firstcoastfluff.com
Like us on FB http://www.facebook.com/FirstCoastFluff for specials and deals!

Due Nov. 4th 2009...Arrived Oct. 25 2009
Due Aug 31 2012...Arrived August 16 2012

m/c January 2011 @~6wks
m/c July 2011 @~8wks

ImageImage
Cinder4320
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MotoX Mom » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:22 pm

opera, sounds like the supp is doing the same thing a qtip does? this is weighing on me too :( my dr recommended pretty much what cinder said. if it doesnt bother her, dont do it. so i go thru all the checks first and if she is stll upset, then i do it.

i am at a loss, but i cant keep it inside her and have her in pain! :dunno:

Me 42, DH 34, Happily Married 7 years
Proud and grateful to be a SAHM to our precious girl!

2009 IVF#1
MotoX Mom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Fourth Trimester