Passed a chunk

Fourth you ask? Your body is still full of pregnancy hormones as you adjust to life sleep-deprived with your new baby outside your womb.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Passed a chunk

Postby NotBarbaraBush » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:45 am

After delivery, I apparently had a bleed out but it wasn't to the point of needing a transfusion. They kept me on the IV and iron pills.
This morning I felt like I was passing something and sure enough it looked like a hunk of placenta.
I remember my m/w told me that if I passed something the size of a golf ball to call her. Her practice is closed on Fridays so I had DH call the hospital while I was freaking out.

They told him that I'm fine as long as I don't develop a fever, bleed heavier than a period, or starting cramping.
It really had me worried but I feel fine. Has anyone BTDT?
NotBarbaraBush
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby NicoleK03 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:09 pm

I did not have any problems withing bleeding following delivery, but during my pp bleeding i passed quite a few clots off and on. Some were pretty good sized and some were little. The biggest one was maybe the half the size of a golf ball or so I couldn't really see because it went down the toilet before i got a good look at it. I could feel it coming out though. For me it was normal. As long as you are not having a really heavy constant flow. HTH
Me:24 DH:25 DS:Born 10/01/09 DS2: Born 5/11/11
Married:06/03/06
Image<br />Image
NicoleK03
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jadie_f » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:53 pm

I bled for 8 weeks pp. I was passing HUGE clots, one as long as a dollar bill and 1/3 as wide a month after delivery. i was told the same thing as you. i finally stopped bleeding a few weeks ago
Di Di Ci Ci
:hb: 10/19/09 :hb:
Jay Jay Nay Nay is here! Born au naturel in my CAR!!!
:hb: 4/26/11 :hb:

And for my next trick....surrogacy! BFP 5dp5dt! EDD 2/22!

http://mylifeisblindhope.blogspot.com/
jadie_f
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby NotBarbaraBush » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:03 pm

Thank you girls, that makes me feel better.
I keep getting paranoid every time i use the bathroom b/c i'm afraid of passing another one.
NotBarbaraBush
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blessed03 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:15 pm

I passed a HUGE clot after having my first (i mean, think golfball size 8O ).. it scared me so bad that i called a nurse in .. she even got gloves on and fished it outa the toilet (yuck!) to have the ob look at it! she said it was from not moving around enough after having dd .. so she had me up and walking so that i wouldnt clot up. But i would call your midwife anyways just to let her know. But passing clots is totaly normal.
Me: 26
DH:28
DD:8
DS: 3
blessed03
Angel
Angel

Postby furball » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:09 pm

IF you are feeling generally okay, no fever or sharp pains, you probably are okay. AFter delivery they had trouble getting my bleeding under control also and was on pitocin for almost 8 hours afterwards to manage it. I had blood clots that the nurse would push out that could fill a couple of pails. Even afterwards I hung on to some for weeks and when I would strain out would pop one... it is so gross. Some were so big that they would have trouble coming out.

Possibly you should call the oncall doctor if you are concerned just to be sure.

Hunter 10 Brody 2 & Griffin 12/11/2009
Image 's My Dream Family!!!
furball
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby NotBarbaraBush » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:19 pm

it would make sense that it would be from not moving around much.
m/w sort of put me on bedrest and iron supplements but of my hemoglobin levels. i'm supposed to stand and walk as little as possible until we make sure my levels are back to normal.
NotBarbaraBush
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby meantangent » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:41 am

Depends on the " chunk" I had retained placenta i passed big piece the size of my hand. Up untill then I had heavy bleeding and a lot of bad cramps. I kept telling them and everyone kept saying oh it is after pains. Yeah right it was just like my contractions. Anyway I was told anything bigger then a golf ball should be reported and investigated. But often with anythin retained it will be painful like in my case.

I also had hemorage after my first dd snd the clots were the size of melons. I would think if you feel fine and your bleeding is minmal most of the time then it should be ok. If you continue to pass large clots I think a check up would be warranted. After I passed the retained placent my bleeding almost stopped completely.
Mommy to 3 beautiful girls and one rambunctious boy!

Tanner kenneth ^i^ Born into Gods arms
04/25/2004 I miss my son so much..
meantangent
Addicted
Addicted

Postby peaches118 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:46 pm

At 4 days pp I passed a clot the size of my hand as well. I was soo scared. It was about 4 in the morning and I'm breast feeding. All I could think was that I can't go to the hospital because nobody will be able to feed the baby. Anyways, I put it off and ended up telling the doc at my DS's first check-up. The doc said it should be fine as long as I'm not having a lot of pain, fever, weird/smelly discharge. I think you should be okay. I hope I am! lol

Congrats on your baby. Very adorable:)
dh (Juan) 29 Me (Ashley) 31
DD (Jaiden)-9
Baby Ashton born December 18, 2009. 38w6d
TTC #2 since Feb 08'
BFP on April 13th 09' on third cycle of SOY!!:)
EDD December 26, 2009
27dpo 5w6d :hb: 95
34dpo 6w6d :hb: 131
40dpo 7w5d :hb: 158
13w :hb: 160
U/S 07/15, IT'S A BOY!!!:) Ashton is now 5!! Born December 18, 2009

BFP September 11, 2014! Another BOY!! EDD May 16, 2015

peaches118
Angel
Angel

Return to Fourth Trimester