Two Week Wait

Fourth you ask? Your body is still full of pregnancy hormones as you adjust to life sleep-deprived with your new baby outside your womb.
Post a reply

do you let baby snooze on your chest (while on stomach?)

Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:25 pm

Do any of you let your baby take a little nap on your chest while you watch TV or something? Meaning, the baby is sleeping on it's tummy while on your chest but he/she is dozing while you are awake to monitor? My pediatrician advised against it when I said that my husband lets our son take little naps this way. Are we totally risking SIDS or is it okay if one of us is awake with the baby?

Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:36 pm

my pedi says its fine if youre awake to watch her breathing. My DD was a super colicky baby and she spent many nights sleeping like this too. I know belly sleeping is a no-no, but if you do some research on co-sleeping you'll find that your breathing regulates the baby's breathing, and that SIDS is actually lowest in babies that sleep with their mommies. I never feel closer to her as when she is sleeping on my chest, especially if you do skin to skin with her. happy snoozin

Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:02 pm

We did it with our first son and do it now with the twins.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:46 pm

I did it with DD. Most of the time skin to skin. Even slept that way together. It's actually better for baby.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:53 pm

thank you ladies. The DR sort of freaked me out and made me feel like I was putting my baby in harms way. jeez. We did it with our DD and she loved it. I guess I am starting to let stuff get to me. He is colicky and the stress is factoring in. I am exhausted =(

Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:11 pm

yeah i have to lie to my pedi every time and say she sleeps in her bassinet. She sleeps with me every night but he is sooooo anti-cosleeping, I guess they kind of have to be to go along with the AAP. I do what works best for us and what I feel is safest for her

Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:40 pm

Yes, we both take naps together this way.

Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:34 am

Dh does this while he is watching football... just lays her on his chest and she loves it I think its important for babies to have that time with their parents!!

Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:50 am

absolutely we let Audrey sleep like that! I also often will nap with her that way as will her daddy and our family members (like her grandparents). She spent her entire first month at night sleeping on my chest. I think it's good for her and helps we sleep better and stay calm.

Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:53 am

Liliana is sound asleep on my chest right now :D

Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:55 am

lol my husband freaked because I let Aryn sleep with me and she ends up on her side snuggled into me. I had to explain to him its perfectly ok for her to be like that.

She sleeps so well like that also I sit reclined and let her sleep on me as well. when they have colic you gotta do what works for them. Skin to skin seems to be one of the few ways they calm down.

Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:34 am

Yep, I do that with DD. Most often after I feed her that's where I lay her & at night I do the same. On my chest I'll switch her from her belly to her side & when she falls asleep good and I'm still awake I lay her down next to me on her side. Sometimes though I sleep with her like that on me, at least for one stretch during the night. :wink:

Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:46 pm

I have with all of my babies to some extent. DS1 (almost 8 now) didn't want to co-sleep but the girls (2 of them) and ds2 (born in Dec) sleeps on my chest. IN fact, he sleeps that way all night every night. :) the one night I put him in his cradle I felt so panicked...I barely slept at all!!!!

Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:19 am

i say as long as you're awake it's fine cuz you can keep an eye on your LO. i would be hesitant to lay like that if you're sleepy or sleeping though - but that's just me.

mariebmk - that's talent!! LOL - great multi-tasking!

Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:24 pm

I wish my LO would do that. I would love that feeling of closeness but he is soooo not interested. :(
Post a reply
IsoFresh
PregEase
Milkies Milksaver
PeaPodPrenatal
Milkies Milk Trays
DreamBelly Butter
Nursing Blend