how much frozen milk should I have when going back to work?

Fourth you ask? Your body is still full of pregnancy hormones as you adjust to life sleep-deprived with your new baby outside your womb.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

how much frozen milk should I have when going back to work?

Postby dawn13 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:23 pm

I am going back to work in a few weeks. How much milk would be sufficient? I know I should have as much as possible, but pumping has been difficult for me, I do it when I can, but DS is up a lot eating and I am having a hard time keeping up with just gettign a shower in, plus is is colicky. Can anyone tell me how many ounces they had stored when going back? He will be 12 weeks when I go back. He is 11lb 11oz right now, avg sized baby =) thank you
After trying for one year and a varicocelectomy for DH in 12/08, I am finally pregnant with #2!

dawn13
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Leighsah » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:33 pm

If he is going to daycare or a babysitter, they typically like to have a 24 hour supply on hand....so for a little guy.....if you could have 24 oz frozen, I think that would be good (assuming he eats like 2-3 oz).....this would just be the "emergency" supply in case he ran out. You're still going to want to pump multiple times a day to build up his stash for the following day.....I would also try to have more than that 24 oz frozen to fall back on if needed.

Leighsah
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby amandapanda » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:47 pm

Hi Dawn!

I recently went back to work, and am a pumping mommy too. I applaud you for giving it your best shot if that's what you want to do! :)

Just store as much as you can, you may find, like me, that you pump a little less during the day as each week goes on. So the more you can freeze, the more time you have before you have to add a little formula supplement. The important thing is to keep pumping 2-4 times at work during the day, that keeps your milk supply up so that at night/weekends you can keep breastfeeding and stimulating your supply.

You might try an herb called "fenugreek" I've been taking it and it helps me pump maybe another ounce a day out. Drink LOTS of water too, takes liquid to make liquid. :) GOOD LUCK!!!
amandapanda

Return to Fourth Trimester