Colic

Fourth you ask? Your body is still full of pregnancy hormones as you adjust to life sleep-deprived with your new baby outside your womb.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Colic

Postby mom2nicholaspatrick » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:46 pm

Any tips for colic? Ever since my LO hit the 6 week mark, he cries for almost 3 hours every night. This has been going on for 2 weeks straight and it seems to be getting worse. I have tried swaddling, white noise, stroller, car rides, read the Happiest Baby on the Block, and nothing seems to "do the trick" once he is already in the "colic" state. Any suggestions out there?
ImageImage
ImageImage
mom2nicholaspatrick
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby Tracylee » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:24 pm

Not really- My daughter had colic from the first night in the hospital. Around week 4 it started getting worse and lasted from about 5:30pm to 11 pm each night. Our solution,,, we started scheduling shifts with family members, good friends and neighbors. I'm serious, 30 minute shifts. A neighbor would come over and take her outside for their 30 mins and go for walks or just walk up and down the driveway. And then 30 mins later someone else would take over. I figured if their was nothing I could do I could at least try to save my sanity. It worked, cause I actually decided to have another one:)
ImageImageImage
Tracylee
Angel
Angel

Postby jadie_f » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:37 am

great advice, my DD is just getting over her colicky phase. If someone else can hold her for a bit to give you a break. With my baby few things worked, the bathroom fan was one, so i slept with her in the bathtub some nights. We tried the car too. didnt always work. I ended up just holding her all night (she screamed all the time, night and day, if she was awake, she was crying). Once I knew she was full clean and dry, I knew there was nothing else I cold do but hold her. So I did, all the time. The moby wrap helped a ton, we even slept like that. If you havent tried baby wearing its great for a colicky baby. There is also gripe water and catnip tea, but to be honest it most likely is something she has to outgrow. Im sorry mama, i know how tough it is believe me, it does get so much better :hugs:
Di Di Ci Ci
:hb: 10/19/09 :hb:
Jay Jay Nay Nay is here! Born au naturel in my CAR!!!
:hb: 4/26/11 :hb:

And for my next trick....surrogacy! BFP 5dp5dt! EDD 2/22!

http://mylifeisblindhope.blogspot.com/
jadie_f
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby J_blackrose » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:19 am

both great Ideas. Aryn is still not happy with the carrier. she wants to be on my shoulder. which is just about impossible with any carrier. Some times there is just about nothing you can do other then make sure they are clean dry and fed.

good news is it will get better. just try not to loose your mind in the mean time.
Beta 1664 at 4w2d
Beta 3683 at 4w4d
heard the :hb: at 8w0d

december 15, 2009
7lbs 11oz 19 inchs long
J_blackrose
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Bee-Jeweled » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:14 am

taking shifts is DEFINITELY a great idea. i wish me and my DH had more support during our DD's colicky phase - we almost tore eachother's heads off! we look back on it now though and laugh so take heart in the fact that it definitely does get better. i couldn't even imagine it getting better when i was in the midst of it - but know it holds true!

our DD was basically the same way - she would scream bloody murder every night from about 5pm-10pm no matter what we did. fed her, changed her, swaddled her, shushed her, lights on, lights off, pacifier, whatever! the two best remedies we found were the vacuum cleaner and swinging her back and forth in her car seat (which can pop a shoulder out so be careful! LOL) - other than that just hang in there and know it is not hurting him and he will live through it! our DD turned a corner around 3 months and now is the smiliest, happiest baby i've ever seen - the screaming purple-faced monster rarely shows her scary face anymore!
Bee-Jeweled
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mom2nicholaspatrick » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:24 am

Yes, the screaming purple face. Exactly what he does too. I think I developed a twitch.
ImageImage
ImageImage
mom2nicholaspatrick
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby mom2nicholaspatrick » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:11 pm

Ok, tonight I walked my house in circles for an hour. LO loved it and fell asleep in the bjorn. Then we moved to a nice warm bath. LO loved it. Then we went to put on jammies....LO SCREAMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and here i thought I figured it out. Maybe tomorrow night will be better.
ImageImage
ImageImage
mom2nicholaspatrick
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby J_blackrose » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:46 pm

don't worry you'll get it figured out. Mine was screaming her head off till I got her to sleep.

My oldest had colic too. but not nearly as bad as Aryn. Part of Aryn's issue is she is bored in the house. But with her nursing every hour and a half it makes it kind of hard to get out. I've notice there isn't a lot of BF momma friendly places around where I live.
Beta 1664 at 4w2d
Beta 3683 at 4w4d
heard the :hb: at 8w0d

december 15, 2009
7lbs 11oz 19 inchs long
J_blackrose
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jadie_f » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:20 pm

awww, im happy you got some peace. our dd still puts up a bit of a fight when shes sleepy, but its tolerable now because she is happy othr wise
Di Di Ci Ci
:hb: 10/19/09 :hb:
Jay Jay Nay Nay is here! Born au naturel in my CAR!!!
:hb: 4/26/11 :hb:

And for my next trick....surrogacy! BFP 5dp5dt! EDD 2/22!

http://mylifeisblindhope.blogspot.com/
jadie_f
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mom2nicholaspatrick » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:07 pm

jadie - when did you notice your LO starting to grow out of it?
ImageImage
ImageImage
mom2nicholaspatrick
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Return to Fourth Trimester