Help! Advice, Suggestions, and Ideas Requested Please!

Fourth you ask? Your body is still full of pregnancy hormones as you adjust to life sleep-deprived with your new baby outside your womb.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Help! Advice, Suggestions, and Ideas Requested Please!

Postby Syrahfina » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:05 am

Ok---I think some of you know my sleeping dilemma.

Zack has been a champ the past 4 out of 5 nights---he gets fed at 7 or 7:30 and is in bed by 8 or 8:30---he then sleeps until between 1am and 2:30am until he wakes for his next feeding---so he's going 6 and 7 hours between feeds (yippee!)

Here's the problem---he eats. Both sides. He has a full belly. He gets changed between sides. This takes 45 minutes to an hour. Then he grizzles for a while and wakes up SCREAMING an hour after he finishes feeding. So he's going two hours max between feedings.

I've spent a week trying different things. I started out immediately feeding him again---he only nibbles: conclusion is he's not waking because he's hungry. Especially since this morning I fed him at 5 and he still didn't suck it down like he was starving---so again, not waking due to hunger.

We've tried changing him. Nope--still screams. Gripe water----nada---still screams. Pick him up and rock him back to sleep---BINGO!!! Oh wait, put him down in his crib, wakes up and screams! Pacifier----as soon as it falls out of his mouth he screams---

What's left to try?!

Last night we let him cry, patting him every few minutes or so but honestly I think he cried harder when we went in to comfort him---

Seriously---this pattern is wearing me down. Does anyone have any idea what it could possibly be because I'm out of ideas on how to break this "habit".....
Me (Sarah)-30 DH (Peter)-37
DS1--Born November 7, 2009 after 2.5 years TTC
Baby #2 conceived first cycle! Amazing! Due August 13, 2011
Syrahfina
Addicted
Addicted

Postby haleyf » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:39 am

same exact thing is going on with sophie and I would say it started at around Zacks age, she went like a week prior sleeping pretty much through the night...then once it started she was only sleeping like maybe 4 hours a day.. and at nights she only wanted to be held and if we put her in her bassinet after she was asleep she would wake up right away and start screaming. She wouldn't even bother to cry just go straight to screaming, so we would pick her up rock her while patting her back and she would go right back to sleep until we put her down again...it got so bad that I went 3 days straight with only 2 hrs of sleeping by catching naps here and there (like when i fed her) and at the worst of it she wanted nothing to do with dh so he couldn't even help me get through it. so we even decided to co-sleep with her thinking that would help... and so far it actually I think has shes at least sleeping more than she was like last night she slept from 8pm-10pm woke up until 12 then slept until 4am and woke up and then went back to sleep at 5am-7am so it's getting better.. my husband thought maybe she wanted to be close to me so like she would comfort nurse and stuff like that.. but I think it may be a phase that some babies go through.. either way I have a drs appt today with her and I will be bringing it up.. so hopefully I can bring back a professionals answer after her appt. for us though the only thing that worked was her co-sleeping situation, or holding her constantly..
DD1: 11/4/09
DD2: 7/19/11
Expecting Baby #3 July 2014!

haleyf
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby J_blackrose » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:47 am

we co sleep the second part of the night. its about the only way me and Aryn get any real sleep.

Is he having tummy issues at all. thats mainly Aryns. her Pack and play has a vibrator and that helps tons during the day time naps.
Beta 1664 at 4w2d
Beta 3683 at 4w4d
heard the :hb: at 8w0d

december 15, 2009
7lbs 11oz 19 inchs long
J_blackrose
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MotoX Mom » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:40 am

we co sleep the second part of the night. its about the only way me and Aryn get any real sleep.

smae here, but she sleeps on top of me :( getting more used to it, but its the omly real sleep we get at night.

curious to hear more experiences...DD is having similar issues.

syrafina - is he swaddled?

Me 42, DH 34, Happily Married 7 years
Proud and grateful to be a SAHM to our precious girl!

2009 IVF#1
MotoX Mom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby brenjay » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:54 am

It doesn't sound like a habit, it sounds like he's uncomfortable.

Perhaps he has reflux?

The reason I say that is that he's screaming *after* his big feed in the middle of the night

AND

picking him up (as in, holding him relatively upright) seems to help

AND

then you lay him down again (and the acid can presumably rise and burn), and he screams. The sucking he does on the paci helps keep the acid down, too, so when it falls out, the acid can rise, and burn, and make him scream again.

At 2 months old, there are no habits! Babies are just reacting to what they feel. And it sounds like yours might be in discomfort after that feeding, which is why you're having so much trouble in the second half of the night.

Try raising the head of his bed, so gravity can help keep that milk in his tummy, instead of refluxing (and burning!) in his esophagus. Also, you can ask your doctor about some acid reducers that might help. Or maybe you can let him sleep in the swing for the second half of the night, to keep him more upright.

Good luck! You can figure this out!
brenjay
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Luv2Skydive » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:17 pm

brenjay wrote:It doesn't sound like a habit, it sounds like he's uncomfortable.

Perhaps he has reflux?

The reason I say that is that he's screaming *after* his big feed in the middle of the night

AND

picking him up (as in, holding him relatively upright) seems to help

AND

then you lay him down again (and the acid can presumably rise and burn), and he screams. The sucking he does on the paci helps keep the acid down, too, so when it falls out, the acid can rise, and burn, and make him scream again.

At 2 months old, there are no habits! Babies are just reacting to what they feel. And it sounds like yours might be in discomfort after that feeding, which is why you're having so much trouble in the second half of the night.

Try raising the head of his bed, so gravity can help keep that milk in his tummy, instead of refluxing (and burning!) in his esophagus. Also, you can ask your doctor about some acid reducers that might help. Or maybe you can let him sleep in the swing for the second half of the night, to keep him more upright.

Good luck! You can figure this out!

ITA. There seem to be several things pointing at pain due to reflux.
Luv2Skydive
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jaysmom » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:23 pm

Sounds exactly like reflux to me! My ds has reflux and it's a nightmare, he would be fine until we laid him down. Once he laid flat all that acid would rise again and cause pain. Even if he's not spitting up alot it could be silent reflux.

DD ~ 10
DS ~ 9-3-08
jaysmom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby space07 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:10 pm

I agree with pp that you could have the dr look into reflux, poor little guy!
Another thought.... when you change his diaper in the middle of the night is it poopy? We found that Violet fully woke up if we changed her diaper in the middle of the night. If it was poo I would definitely change it, but if it was pee maybe it isnt worth the disturbance?
Me- (29 ) DH- (31 )12/1/2008 DD
Gently self weaned at almost 21 months
space07
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Fourth Trimester