Issues with Gall Bladder Anyone?

Fourth you ask? Your body is still full of pregnancy hormones as you adjust to life sleep-deprived with your new baby outside your womb.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Issues with Gall Bladder Anyone?

Postby jodilynn » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:33 am

When I was about 27 weeks pregnant I started having issues with my gall bladder. My doctor told me they might consider surgery after the baby was born. Welp the baby is born--and they are talking surgery. Part of me is relieved because the pain gets unreal but the other part of me is worried about recovery. I just had a C-section so Im not sure how soon they will do it (I go to the doctors tommorow to talk details) but I was wondering if any of you ladies have had this done shortly after giving birth? I hear its common. And if you have what was recovery like? Im hoping I can take care of my newborn without any problems and that DH doesnt have to take more time off work. So if youve had it done, how was it? Any info would be fantastic :D
DS1: 01.15.10
jodilynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mom2nicholaspatrick » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:17 am

I have had terrible pain since my first son 4 years ago. It acts up now and then. I went for every test in the book and they keep telling me it is not my gall bladder. However, I do believe it is and I wish they would just take it out already. From what I have been told, the only issue you will have after surgery is that you can't lift your LO for 6 weeks. Also, I have heard that you still can't eat certain things. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon. I totally get your pain, it's horrible.
ImageImage
ImageImage
mom2nicholaspatrick
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby Robynsegg2 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:06 am

I have had 2 friends who just recently had the surgery as well and they are both doing perfectly well. Good luck!
Me - Robyn 31, DW - Melissa 32

Robynsegg2
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kristen » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:17 am

I had mine taken out about 5 years ago when my DD was 6 weeks old. It really wasn't fun since she was so young but it wasn't to bad either. Mine was orthoscopic (sp) so I have three tiny scars. I am not sure how it works if you just had a cs. I didn't do great in recovery I think the anestesia (sp) and I didn't get along so I stayed overnight. I BF, so I pumped and dumped. Good luck. I did hear it's very common especially after birth.
Mama to 5 girls.
kristen
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Wendella » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:23 am

I had mine removed when DD #1 was about 5 months old. It was done laproscopically and recovery was a breeze. I have 3 or 4 little scars and didn't need any stitches. If you have it done laproscopically you shouldn't have issues with being able to hold your LO. I went home the same day and was walking around the mall by the next day. The worst part is the pain you get in your chest and shoulders from the air they pump into you during the procedure. That lasted through the first day and was gone by the next day. I didn't need pain meds for more than a day or two. The pain of a gallbladder attack is far worse than the pain of having the darn thing removed. Good luck. I would say go for the surgery.
DD #1 Anna Leigh 9/4/07
DD #2 Natalie Kathleen 1/2/10

ImageImage
ImageImage
Wendella
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby intime » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:00 pm

I dont want to be the negative nancy here...LURKING BY THE WAY...I had mine out about 1 and a half months after my son was born. He was born by C Section also, my recovery from the gall bladder was worse to me...I am not sure if it was just me or what, but I had five little incisions, but the one in my belly button hurt really bad and it was hard to move my core. I pray this does not happen to you...it sounds like I might be in the minority here! GL!!!

I agree the attacks were AWFUL and I cant believe something so small could affect you the way it does!!!!
5/31/11: 13weeks 2 days :hb: 153
6/28/11: 17 weeks :hb: 152...It's a BOY!!
intime
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Chiteacher » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:47 pm

Lurking...

I also had mine removed laproscopically about 2 1/2 year ago. It was very unexpected, as I had only had one attack before which I didn't even know was an attack. One night I simply got very, very sick ended up in the ER and had it removed the next day - I had gallstones and an infection.

The recovery was not too bad at all, easier than having my tonsils out a few years earlier! I think the hardest part was taking it easy - on the outside you look fine but the insides need to recover.

Good luck! (and your son is adorable! :) )
Me (Jane) & DH married 5/29/05 DS 5/6/10 (6lbs 7oz) DS#2 10/7/11 (10lbs 7oz)
Chiteacher
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jodilynn » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:53 pm

Thanks everybody! I had the surgery a few days ago and so far so good. A little itchy but Im healing well Praise God. Thanks for all the responces!
DS1: 01.15.10
jodilynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Wendella » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:37 pm

I'm glad you are doing well!
DD #1 Anna Leigh 9/4/07
DD #2 Natalie Kathleen 1/2/10

ImageImage
ImageImage
Wendella
Girlfriend