Going out with baby

Fourth you ask? Your body is still full of pregnancy hormones as you adjust to life sleep-deprived with your new baby outside your womb.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Going out with baby

Postby snchart » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:15 am

How long did you ladies wait before going out in public (i.e. restaurants, shopping, etc.) with your newborn? Our kiddo is a little over two weeks now and I'm BFing but he hasn't had any shots yet. I'm going to ask the pedi at our 2-wk appt. tomorrow, but I've heard reports anywhere from waiting a couple of weeks to six weeks, which seems a little excessive to me. However, I really don't want a sick baby so am willing to do whatever it takes to avoid exposing him to germs!
snchart
Angel
Angel

Postby meg1492 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:24 am

I took DS to a LLL meeting when he was almost 3 weeks old. Not because we didn't want to do outings earlier but because I had some physical things going on.

If your LO is healthy take them out. I am of the school of thought that exposing them to things is better than not exposing them. You might consider wearing your LO to discourage people from getting too close.
Dear Son born at 41w, delivered vaginally and med free after labor for a day and a half.

Image Image
meg1492
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mariebmk » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:42 am

I took my little one out to breastfeeding groups at the hospital at 9 days and then to other mothering groups often. We didn't go to places like the grocery stores/restaurants until about 6 weeks. It can be very frustrating to be stuck inside with them all day, every day especially if you live in a cold place and can't even go around the block!

mariebmk
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Nikkijames » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:56 am

I was going to add that cooping yourself up too much can contribute to ppd. You can wear your baby, like Meg said, or put the cover over the stroller to discourage germs from reaching him. I have no choice, my 6 and 7 yr olds keep bringing home the illnesses!
Melissa, DH, Hunter 12 Julianna 11, Harley 5, Dylan 4, and Piper 2.
Due 9/14/2015 with our last addition

Nikkijames
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:06 am

Well, before you go home, you're already "out" at the hospital. :)

And hospitals are extremely full of germs. If the baby is healthy, I'd not worry about it too much.
Certified Lactation Educator and Breastfeeding Counselor
Mum to M, nursling 3-7-07 - 11-7-08 :hb: and Leo 4-13-09
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ivycrystals » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:14 am

Our pedi said as long as baby was healthy there was no "waiting period" to take them out. If I hadn't been recovering from a c-birth, I would have taken L out sooner. I just wore her in my moby wrap so that people wouldn't get too close.
ivycrystals
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Prinycesa07 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:06 pm

A week old. Just use common sense.
Audrey Renee- 12/09/09
Owen Frederick- 4/8/11
Olivia Mae Noelle 12/25/14

Prinycesa07
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mom2nicholaspatrick » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:34 pm

Our first pediatrician told us 6 weeks...2nd pediatrician told us 8 weeks. I would have taken him out sooner but he is colic and he would have just screamed the whole time. It was very difficult staying in the house so long. It can get extremely depressing. Just use your judgement. If you neet to get out than go, just don't let strangers get too close.
ImageImage
ImageImage
mom2nicholaspatrick
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby meg1492 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:39 pm

wow..what was your pedi's reason for saying 2 MONTHS???? Was your LO ill or having health issues?
Dear Son born at 41w, delivered vaginally and med free after labor for a day and a half.

Image Image
meg1492
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby brenjay » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:33 pm

We stopped at BrU on the way home from the hospital to pick up a rental breastpump.

So. 2.5 days old.

And we took an overnight trip when he was 10 days old.

Just do what you're comfortable with! If your baby is healthy, and especially if you're breastfeeding and giving your LO all that fabulous immunity, there is no reason to be stuck in the house.

Also, I agree that you should wear your LO in a sling - it really does discourage people from getting too close and touching! Plus, your LO will sleep for hours in the sling.
brenjay
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby NotBarbaraBush » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:45 pm

5 days old we took her to Target. I had her in a sling and had a blanket covering her to keep germy air away and for warmth (there was snow on the ground).

Yesterday was the first day that I've taken her to a public place w/o having a blanket covering her. She is 7 weeks tomorrow.
NotBarbaraBush
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby scases » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:13 pm

I waited longer with Vivian, but my other kids were at the store the one the way home fromthe hospital. I only waited longer this time because I needed to recover from delivery. I lost a lot of blood and my OB wasn't going to discharge me unless I promised to go home and rest. He also said no driving or doing much of anything for 2 weeks. I had a checkup at 2 weeks and that is when I told I could do more than lay in bed or sit on the couch.

When I took Vivian to her 1 week checkup and the pediatrician said that technically when you leave the hospital that is the first outing. I stopped by the store on the way home. I got very dizzy while at the grocery store. I was only walking around for 10 minutes when this happened. We left the store and our next outing wasn't until she was 1 month old.
Me - 35, DH - 36
DD - 13, DS - 11, DD - 3

http://casesfamily.blogspot.com/

scases
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mom2nicholaspatrick » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:12 am

I don't know why my ped was so cautious. I wasn't in a rush to go out so I never really questioned him. He just told us that if LO gets sick you have to go right back to hospital so I guess it was that. With my second LO, I kept my older one home too so he couldn't bring back anything from daycare. If I had to do it over again, I would have sent my second one to daycare b/c it was so overwhelming. What's that saying (hindsights 20/20) I never get those sayings right.....lol
ImageImage
ImageImage
mom2nicholaspatrick
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby haleyf » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:09 pm

our dr said that for 28days they do not have a good immune system other than to things the mother had been around constantly like home so even a common cold could become fatal...and everywhere I looked online said the same so we did not take dd out until 3 1/2wks and then just to the grocery store until she was 6weeks.. for me it was I would rather be safe than sorry..and if she gets sick I have a $3,000 deductible on the insurance to pay before they cover hospitals so that played a role too lol..
DD1: 11/4/09
DD2: 7/19/11
Expecting Baby #3 July 2014!

haleyf
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Fawkes » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:31 am

We take our LO everwhere with us right from the getgo. I make sure she's covered and that people don't get close to her. If she's in the stroller the hood is down otherwise I'm wearing her and nobody is getting close to me! We go to the supermarket, resturants, the mall, and just generally out and about. She's not gotten sick once (and I even feel like i'm getting a cold).
Crystal | Jonathan :hb:
Mama to 3 beautiful daughters and one handsome baby boy.

Best Advice: "Just be you. She will love you no matter what." - From my mother.
Fawkes
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Next

Return to Fourth Trimester