Flying with newborn...

Fourth you ask? Your body is still full of pregnancy hormones as you adjust to life sleep-deprived with your new baby outside your womb.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Flying with newborn...

Postby MrsMartin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:13 pm

Does anyone have any experience flying with a newborn/baby? My son has to have surgery in a few weeks or else I would not dream of taking him on an airplane so young...and it's going to be a loooooong flight. Does anyone have any pointers or advice? He refuses to bf so I have been pumping...I'm praying for a miracle and that he decides to bf before we go lol. TIA!
MrsMartin
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Tracylee » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:44 am

I took my daugther on a plan several times as a newborn and infant. Her first flight was at 6 weeks and then again at 12 weeks and then 6 months and 8 months. As a newborn, the plan acted just like a car seat and the light hummm on the plane put her right to sleep. I tried to hold off feeding to take off and touchdown however that didnt work all the time. Once she hit 6 months and 8 months, I gave her a little benadryl before take off to help her sleep during the flight but overall she did great on all 4 trips. A passie will also help just in case your LO is not really hungry during take off and touch down.

Good luck-
ImageImageImage
Tracylee
Angel
Angel

Postby booboo » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:01 pm

I agree, newborn is easiest and it only gets harder as they age!! LOL, Im hoping there is a point somewhere around 8-10 where it starts to get easier again :wink: Like the PP said, the engine noise and vibration will put them right to sleep, my girls would sleep the entire flight. My best advice is to bring some sort of carrier (like a sling or front pack) so your hands can be free to read or drink a beverage.
booboo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Fourth Trimester