1st Labor vs. 2nd/3rd/4th baby

Fourth you ask? Your body is still full of pregnancy hormones as you adjust to life sleep-deprived with your new baby outside your womb.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

1st Labor vs. 2nd/3rd/4th baby

Postby Kristyn » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:00 pm

Hi Guys,

I was just hoping as many as possible of you with more than 1 child could tell me about how your different labors went for each (time/painfulness/complications/etc.)

Thank you in advance!!
FORMERLY Krissy26.
I'm 31 DH is 33 (my love of 12 yrs). ALL TWW babies (April '07, June '10 & April '12)! All natural med-free births 2nd and 3rd were home births.

Kristyn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Miles » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:13 pm

I wont be a lot of help I was induced with all 3 of mine sadly. first was due to high BP was a natural labor that was 36 hours, second was natural labor 24 hours and third again natural labor 23 hours. Each time I was induced different so the pain was different. My water broke on its own each time.
Proud SAHM to 3 girls!
Miles
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Ahavati » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:45 pm

I've had 4 and each were different. I'd have to say my easiest labor was my 3rd. But the easiest recoveries have been the last 2.
Cassandra - Mama to Anthony, Ephram, Avalea, Chaiya, Elijah and Samuel

Active DVT at 11 weeks 9/2013
Ahavati
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby randomacts » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:52 pm

My first was a hospital birth, water broke before contractions started, was able to do 9 hours without pain meds, but asked for the epidural during transition (huge mistake). I wasn't able to feel to push, ended up with a second degree episiotomy that took forever and a day to heal.

My second was a home birth, water broke and an hour later my contractions started. I didn't know I was really in labor until I was about 30 minutes from pushing. It was a three hour labor with no complications. I did tear (along the episiotomy scar - pissed me off) but the recovery period has been SO much easier and quicker.
randomacts
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kristyn » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:54 pm

Thank you all. I plan to have 4 (pg with #2) and it will be interesting to see how different mine are. To be honest I hope they are all the same as my first because although it was very painful and with it's own problems I didn't get any of the specific complications I was hoping to avoid. I am very nervous to see how this one goes!
FORMERLY Krissy26.
I'm 31 DH is 33 (my love of 12 yrs). ALL TWW babies (April '07, June '10 & April '12)! All natural med-free births 2nd and 3rd were home births.

Kristyn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby funshine » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:10 am

labour 1 water broke at 41 weeks with no contractions was induced using the gel, from the insertion of the gel to delivery; 5hrs 45 mins, 25 mins of pushing. i did not handle the contractions well at all, they made me panic and feel out of control. i had a 2nd degree tear due to ventousse delivery

labour 2 i was 1 cm at exactly 40 weeks when admitted for a placental abruption, i was already in early labour but they only had about 8 hours to get her out so they broke my water, from then until delivery was 7.5 hours 6.5 of thos the contractions were evry minute lasting 1.5 mins. i handled them so much better than last time and was even able to laugh and joke with dh for the few seconds i had in between. 30 mins of pushing which seemed so much harder than last time. to tears no stitches
ImageImage
funshine
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby tatuchick4u2c » Sat May 01, 2010 4:37 pm

I was induced with both vof mine....the second labor was longer but easier
wow it really does only take 1 time!!!! And now I am saying that a second time ;)

tatuchick4u2c
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby butterflylr » Thu May 13, 2010 3:07 pm

Labor #1 over 30 hours. Contractions never were regular and complications during birth. DS ended up with cord prolapse so resulted in emergency Csection.

Labor #2 12 hours. Contractions started up out of nowhere 5 mins apart. No complications whatsoever and only 20 mins pushing and DD was born by VBAC!
ME - Lindsay :29: / DH - James :30: / DS - Michael :05/29/08: / Rory :01/16/10: by VBAC!!

Image Image Image
Image http://different-not-less.blogspot.com/
butterflylr
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Nikkijames » Fri May 14, 2010 9:05 am

DS- water broke at home with meconium, DS born 12 hrs later, had pit and very effective epi, 10 min pushing, small tear and stitches, couldn't pee w/o screaming for a week

DD1- I went in at 3-4 cm, had pit and very effective epi, DD was born maybe 6 hours after arrival and FAST.....basically 1 push, no tears

DD2- ptl for weeks, finally water broke at home 37w 2d, I was checked at 6 cm.....5 minutes MAX later I started feeling MASSIVE pressure and painful ctx,nurse checks again and says "COMPLETE +2 station, get the doctor!" she was delivered by my nurse in the next 3-4 pushes. I had the epi but felt her being born unlike ds and dd1, it was amazing after! Not a single tear and I was shaking and felt this massive adrenaline rush....
Melissa, DH, Hunter 12 Julianna 11, Harley 5, Dylan 4, and Piper 2.
Due 9/14/2015 with our last addition

Nikkijames
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Mommaspeck » Tue May 18, 2010 8:54 pm

DD - I was induced @ 38w5d and had her that night after 3 hours of pushing, no tearing and a LONG recovery period.

DS - started having mild contractions at home @ 7pm (38w5d) and had him au natural @ 9:41 that night, so QUICK but easy delivery. I tore pretty bad but my recovery was awesome. Went home a couple hours later and was fine.....
Mommaspeck
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby NJK » Sun May 23, 2010 10:35 pm

I had two all natural med-free births with my daughters, here are the details;

DD1 - Spontaneous labor began with a show + contractions at 41 weeks 6 days. 21 hours all up. Pushing lasted for 55 min. No tearing, no assistance required. Delivered on all fours, baby weighed 9lbs 9oz. Very painful transition, lasted 2 hours. I panicked a lot more and felt I did not deal as well with the contractions

DD2 - Spontaneous labor began with my waters breaking with a gush at 6.30am (on my EDD). 9.5 hours all up. Pushing took 10 minutes. No tearing again, no assistance. Delivered kneeling with my arms around my sister's neck. Baby weighed 8lbs exactly. Contractions just as painful but I was much less panicky and more in control. Transition and pushing all blended into each other, pushing was more painful because it happened so quickly

Both were born in birthing centres and after both births I was discharged the next day.

HTH
Me 30, DH 32
DD1 Heidi (1 Apr 09)
DD2 Lulu (3 May 10)
Not Trying, Not Preventing... (translation = trying without obsessing, not actually preventing at all)
NJK
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Fourth Trimester