Witching Hour? Night screaming..

Fourth you ask? Your body is still full of pregnancy hormones as you adjust to life sleep-deprived with your new baby outside your womb.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Witching Hour? Night screaming..

Postby ReubensMomma » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:36 pm

Anyone else have a little one that goes from nice quiet happy baby to a complete switch at night?
My little boy is laid back as they come.. rarely cries or fusses unless needs something like a diaper change or food.
Totally content sweet boy until 7pm then it's like a switch goes off and he changes.

For about an hour he screams at the top of his lungs, red faced, gasping for breath and screaming. Nothing stops him. Anyone else have this and have tips for dealing with it?
ReubensMomma
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babywish1 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:30 pm

Yes, my baby girl was like that. It's awful! Some suggestions:

Turn on the blow drier the noise distracts them and they stop.

Give him a bottle even if you think he isn't hungry.

Gripe Water or Colic Calm

Hopefully he will get over it soon. Hang in there!
babywish1
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby meg1492 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:34 pm

Try starting your bedtime routine earlier so that he is calmer when 7 PM arrives. Aim for maybe a 6.45 bed time for a little while.

Good luck Momma.
Dear Son born at 41w, delivered vaginally and med free after labor for a day and a half.

Image Image
meg1492
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babyhue » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:51 pm

sounds like colic.

we started using a probiotic for our LO (biogaia)
it helped a ton!!!
ImageImage

Image[/url]

babyhue
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby laylalady » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:04 pm

its normal for babies to have a time of day where they cry and carry on for a while. its very stressful. i cant remember how i dealt with it before. im sure that someone else can give u some good tips. but i just wanted to say this because it sounds like that and not colic to me. i think babies affected with colic can have their crying at anytime. but the same time crying everyday is a normal thing and im sure u will be able to find a lot of info about it.
me-Layla-43
3 DD's-22,9, and 6
lily elizabeth born 4/2/10 8lbs 14 oz 20 in.

laylalady
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby sherry2010 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:45 am

7 was the same time that started over here BUT the past few days, that has just become the very alert and awake time, no longer the crying time. we switched formulas to similac sensitive, and we are using mylicon drops, idk if that is the reason, but they have been less fussy, sleeping better and less gassy, so if you are BF-ing, try just the mylicon drops (sp?). it might be gas, could be colic, if it came on awhile ago but if recent, it's too late i believe to show up now.

GL
sherry2010
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Miles » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:44 pm

Mine has been like that but we found out its due to her having gas. She had such horrible gas she was in pain, now we have done the gas drops she is fine thankfully.
Proud SAHM to 3 girls!
Miles
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ReubensMomma » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:02 pm

Thanks for the responses! We also try the gas drops and sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't. I do breast feed but when he is upset he wants nothing to do with them. I will try an earlier bed time and see how that works
ReubensMomma
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Miles » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Does he take a paci?
Proud SAHM to 3 girls!
Miles
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ReubensMomma » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:57 pm

no he refuses it now :?
ReubensMomma
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Miles » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:56 pm

ReubensMomma wrote:no he refuses it now :?

Mine too I know the feeling. She would take one once in a while but now gags on it. I hope it gets better for you, have you tried the night time bath soap they have or lotion? I use the lotion on my 2 yr old and my newborn and it works awesome!
Proud SAHM to 3 girls!
Miles
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Bee-Jeweled » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:43 pm

UGH - i just had a flashback and got the shivers. :) this was B until about 3 months - purplefaced screaming fits every single night from dinner time til bedtime. pedi chalked it up to colic - unexplained crying. seeing as how we fed her the same exact thing all the time and it only happened at night i'm guessing that's what it was - especially since she outgrew it as she finished the 4th trimester.

hang in there mama. different tricks work for different babies but 'Happiest Baby on the Block' worked wonders for us. i only wish i had it from the time she was born instead of not until she was 8 weeks old! (8 weeks is about the time colic peaks btw) along with the 5 s's from the book any really loud static noise worked wonders for us (exhaust fan, vacuum cleaner, radio on a static channel) as well as going outside - B LOVES being outside.

good luck and just remember - it doesn't last forever.
Bee-Jeweled
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babycheeks » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:58 am

With DD, I think her screaming at night was due to gas and it was painful to see her so upset. We did the gas drops but they never seemed to give her instant relief. For us the solution was Little Tummies brand Gripe Water. I don't know why it worked but just a little taste of it and she would calm down instantly. Once she was calm, I could bundle her up to make her tummy nice and warm and then rock and pat her to sleep. When she woke up after she'd be back to the calm, happy baby I knew so well during the day.
Me (27)
DH (30)
DD (2)
BFP for #2: 3/11/10
EDD 11/16/10
ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
babycheeks
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby KsMa » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:47 pm

Had that with DD1, praying it doesn't happen with DD2, it is very stressful. We had those bouts for 3-4 weeks, like clockwork. Tried the whole gas drops, gripe water, diet changes all to no avail. What ended up helping (but not solving...it went away on its own) was the 5 S's like a pp said from Dr Harvey Karp, and lots and lots of patience and waiting it out. If you don't have someone else to take over screaming duty for you, get someone to do it even if they can only relieve you 30-60 minutes. They can do the S's just like you can. And you need the sanity break. And don't hesitate to just put him down in a safe spot to cry if you can't have someone else walk with him, just to give yourself some peace for a bit.
Have faith it WILL pass and baby will have no ill effects!
May 2007 & May 2010 Mommy
ImageImage
KsMa
Angel
Angel

Postby Bee-Jeweled » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:23 am

KsMa wrote:And don't hesitate to just put him down in a safe spot to cry if you can't have someone else walk with him, just to give yourself some peace for a bit.
Have faith it WILL pass and baby will have no ill effects!

good advice and very true. i remember one particular night my DH had bowling and my DD (2 months old at the time) started screaming at 5pm and did not stop until i finally got her to sleep at 10pm. i was so frazzled i had to put her down a couple of times to just walk away and clear my head. nothing like a screaming baby to make your blood pressure shoot through the roof.

that being said, my DD is now one of the smiliest, happiest babies i have ever seen ... hang in there mama!!
Bee-Jeweled
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Next

Return to Fourth Trimester