Day/Night Mix up.

Fourth you ask? Your body is still full of pregnancy hormones as you adjust to life sleep-deprived with your new baby outside your womb.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Day/Night Mix up.

Postby LoneStar » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:36 am

Just looking for a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel....

If your LO's days and nights were mixed up, when did it start getting better? I'm not looking for sttn (although that would be heaven), I just hope to be able to feed him and put him (and myself) back to sleep at night.
LoneStar
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Bee-Jeweled » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:51 am

no advice :oops: but wanted to say congrats on your new babe!!
Bee-Jeweled
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby LoneStar » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:08 pm

Thank you!!! :D
LoneStar
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby NotBarbaraBush » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:45 pm

Babies don't really have the ability to tell whether it's day or night but you can encourage baby to fall back asleep after nighttime feeding by making sure light is dim, it's quiet, calm and boring. Encourage playtime and feedings during the day.

I never really had an issue with DD but doing this did help some nights and then we still had the nights when she just wanted to party lol
NotBarbaraBush
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby meg1492 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:10 pm

Like NBB said, encourage quiet calm dim lighting, soft voices during the overnight feedings. keep everything warm too.

And then for daytime, get your LO changed into a new outfit, say good morning with a bright cherry smile (even though it's the furthest thing from your mind) and open blinds and curtains to let in natural light.

Eventually things will even out for you both. Don't stress about it during these early days. Ride the wave Momma..ride the wave. :)
Dear Son born at 41w, delivered vaginally and med free after labor for a day and a half.

Image Image
meg1492
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby LoneStar » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:01 pm

I know this is all the natural process of adapting to the world. And trust me, I've read all the books and all the articles with advice to change things. Time is usually the fixer of all problems, though. I'm just asking when the tide started to change. It was hardly a year ago that I was in this exact same boat with DS1, but I can't for the life of me remember when things started to improve (serious mental block on those first months with colicky DS1. Lol!). Like I said, I'm just looking for a little light at the end if the tunnel to set my sights on. I can't follow the advice "sleep when baby sleeps" because I have a toddler to take care of during the day.

So mamas with more recent memories, when did you notice a change in circadian rhythms? (5 weeks? 8 weeks? Etc) TIA!
LoneStar
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby flipflop1117 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:26 pm

right around 5 wks! hope its soon for you!
"And maybe that's what my scars really are...proof I've put myself back together." ~ Carrie Ryan
Jaxon Russel 3~15~10, Alexa Leigh 10~11~12
flipflop1117

Postby Fawkes » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:51 pm

DD was like this and I know it was after my 6 week check up that she started to get better. So *maybe* around 8 weeks for her.
Crystal | Jonathan :hb:
Mama to 3 beautiful daughters and one handsome baby boy.

Best Advice: "Just be you. She will love you no matter what." - From my mother.
Fawkes
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby meg1492 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:22 pm

It was before my 6 week pp check up.

But I think it's one of those "different for every baby" things and it's more of a range.
Dear Son born at 41w, delivered vaginally and med free after labor for a day and a half.

Image Image
meg1492
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby sherry2010 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:39 am

my dd's know it's night now and sleep about 5-6 hrs, (eat every 3 lately in the day time), one would sleep even longer if it weren't for the other wanting to feed, you can see she clearly stocks up on food for the night at the last feeding, the other just plain cranks more, lol, but still goes further then during the day. i agree with everything the pps said. GL i'd say around 5 or 6 wks!
sherry2010
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby LoneStar » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:17 pm

Thanks girls! I also dug out my copy of "Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child" and Weissbluth estimates that 80% of newborns even out by 6 weeks. That's a number if weeks I can handle (fingers crossed DS2 doesn't fall into the 20% category like DS1 did. Lol!) Of course I know that every baby is different, but I like a little goal to set my sights on while I'm staring at infomercials literally all night and dreading DS1's 6am wake up. We all have little mantras or tricks to get us through the hard patches, right? ;)
LoneStar
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby sherry2010 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:31 pm

praying you'll be in that 80%..odds are surely in your favor. u will be, i can feel it. i was in the 20 last time, but this time in the 80% with two and i never have had good luck in my life, so you are definately due to be in the 80, just HANG ON!! from everyone i have talked to with two kids, one was the great sleeper and one was the terror with it, and i never have heard differently, and have asked ALOT of people about this subject, so you are in better odds then u thought, lol GL

xoxo
sherry2010
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby LoneStar » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:40 am

Thanks, Sherry. That's really sweet of you. I think a little encouragement is what I need most right now. (ok, maybe a little shut-eye, too). :)

Your girls are absolutely precious, btw. :hb:
LoneStar
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Fourth Trimester