Working out pp?

Fourth you ask? Your body is still full of pregnancy hormones as you adjust to life sleep-deprived with your new baby outside your womb.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Working out pp?

Postby Cakebossmom » Wed May 05, 2010 5:04 am

Well ladies, I'm reaching the end of my rope soon. I will be 40 weeks preggo on Saturday and my mobility is close to non-existent. I was a "workout-oholic" before getting pregnant and worked out until week 29 with this pregnancy but had to stop (dr.'s advice) due to ctx, cramping, severe varicose veins, etc. Now all I can do is take daily 20 min walks with my dogs and even with doing so little, my legs turn into two purple swollen stubs!

All that to say, I CAN'T WAIT to get back to the gym and regain some sort of mobility after my son is born. I feel so yucky physically and emotionally from sitting all day.

For those of you who work out, how long pp did you wait to resume your gym routine? I was doing Crossfit before getting pregnant and continued until about week 13, then switched to "Crossfit Mom" until week 29, which is a modified version for pregnant women.

By the way, I am realistic and know that it will take some time to get back to my pre-pregnancy intensity and that's not what I'm worried about. I just want to start slowly again (maybe a bit of cardio for the first little while) but do I really have to wait 6 weeks pp like the books say? It seems quite extreme to me (considering I don't end up with c-section of course).

Sorry for the long post/rant. Any thoughts?
DS born May 2010
DD born April 2012
Expecting #3 July 20, 2014!
Cakebossmom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby taffy75 » Wed May 05, 2010 6:41 am

I waited until 6 weeks pp. I got the go-ahead from the doc at my 5 week pp appt. Honestly I was so tired those first 6 weeks I was just focused on functioning throughout the day! I did take my first walk with DH, the dog, and DS in the stroller at one week pp though and continued to do that daily or twice daily until I headed back to the gym.

Me: Dana, 36
DH: 42
DS1: 8/12/09
DS2: 4/10/11
taffy75
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby meg1492 » Wed May 05, 2010 7:09 am

It's something you should discuss with your OB/MW. Because of the blood loss for me, 6 weeks was the earliest I could even think about walking to the end of the driveway, let alone doing real exercise.

Take it slow. Just some walking to begin with. Your body has been through a LOT...and remember, it took 9 months to get your body where it is now. It's not going to go back in 3 months. Waiting a few weeks won't hurt anything. :)
Dear Son born at 41w, delivered vaginally and med free after labor for a day and a half.

Image Image
meg1492
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby LoneStar » Wed May 05, 2010 7:33 am

With DS1 I waited until 6 months PP. Haha!!

I'm currently 2 weeks PP and don't feel anywhere near ready for a good workout. I'm still bleeding a bit and my body is still adjusting to not being pregnant anymore (especially in my back). For now, I'm doing pelvic floor exercises and trying my best to get out of the house for a walk every day. I found this website really helpful. http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv ... le_workout Once I get to the 6 week mark, I hope to resume my workouts from before I got pregnant last summer.

A friend of mine introduced me to CrossFit last year and I absolutely loved it. Unfortunately, the local CrossFit gym's schedule doesn't fit into DH and my schedule to work around DS. And I'm way too lazy to do CrossFit on my own. Haha! But, if you were a regular CrossFitter before pregnancy, I'm pretty sure that you won't have trouble getting back into shape in no time. Just listen to your body and ease yourself into back into things. :D
LoneStar
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby redcharlotte » Wed May 05, 2010 9:11 am

I'm new to this too (28 weeks pregnant tomorrow). Luckily I am still able to do yoga, walk and lift light weights. I'm itching to get my body back (and I'm not even close to 40 weeks yet!!)

Luckily DH is an athlete and is taking a month off after the baby is born so he is going to help me with walks during the day as soon as possible, then light weights, etc until I can get back into a full regimen. Can't wait!

Would love to hear an update from you on how it goes.
Baby Carrier Stuff Sacks and Sucking Pads at redcharlotte.etsy.com

Mini Buntings, Cupcake Toppers, & Gift Bags at bluecora.etsy.com

We Live on a Boat!

redcharlotte
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Fawkes » Thu May 06, 2010 5:38 am

I never did any hard core training pre pregnancy or even during pregnancy, but I can tell you after the birth, I was so sore. I only had a 1st degree tear, but it hurt for weeks and all my muscles I used for pushing (arms, abs, legs, muscles I didn't know about) hurt for at least a week. Then on top of it all I was bleeding for nearly three weeks. Mine wasn't terribly heavy, but that varries. Also, with feedings every 3 hours at max, changing diapers, and trying to eat yourself, It was exhausting.

I did manage a light walk here and there, but it was nothing regular at all. I think we did our first one 1 week postpartum. It was just a short, i gotta get some fresh air walk. You have to remember that your muscles (abs in particular seperate to make room for baby) and your body in general are still recovering from the pregnancy, labor, and delivery, you wouldn't want to damage them.

I would talk to your OB but alot of it depends on your labor and delivery I would think and how you're feeling in general. But don't rush into it. Also, with the bleeding, I noticed when I "did to much" I would have an increase in bleeding; I'm talking waterfall flow (which is probably one of the reasons they tell you to wait). If you had an episode like that in the gym while working out, the quick blood loss could cause you to faint.

*edited to add* Also, with the doing to much, if you think you've stopped bleeding and then you "do to much" you can start bleeding again. You'r body really isn't ready until after that 6 week recovery time. At least in my opnion.
Crystal | Jonathan :hb:
Mama to 3 beautiful daughters and one handsome baby boy.

Best Advice: "Just be you. She will love you no matter what." - From my mother.
Fawkes
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Bee-Jeweled » Thu May 06, 2010 7:03 am

we were taking walks around the block (mind you SLOW walks - LOL) after the 1st week home ... i was still hurting though but had to get out of the house and get some fresh air.

depending on your delivery you may be ready sooner or later - everyone is different. i def wouldn't rush it though - your body needs time to heal and you'll probably be exhausted from taking care of your NB anyhow :)

i would wait until your OB gives you the go-ahead to start any hardcore workout. probably after 6 weeks.
Bee-Jeweled
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby snchart » Thu May 06, 2010 8:32 am

I lifted weights and walked/bicycled up until about 34 wks pregnant. After my LO came, it took me about two weeks to resume some kind of walking regimen. At my 6 wk PP doctor's appt I asked about lifting weights and she recommended I wait a bit longer, or promise to only do *light* weights. My LO is now three months and I'm just getting started going back to the gym. It is difficult to coordinate schedules though...I insist on trying to keep my LO on some sort of routine or else he gets overstimulated, so that doesn't leave a lot of time for working out. Sigh...I'm hoping by six months it will get easier! Good luck!
snchart
Angel
Angel

Postby skyley27 » Thu May 06, 2010 8:16 pm

just delivered and worked out until a day or two before I gave birth but that was because those were my days off lol. I had a short labor and didn't have any stitches or anything so feel great right now and my little one is only 3 days old! I can't wait to start working out again and am not sure when I should start I'm sure I'll just start out walking and then work my way up depending on how I'm feeling.
BFP @ 11dpo
Beta # @ 26dpo was 26000
Beta # @ 28dpo was 3600
U/S at 8wks2days baby measured 8wks 4days and we saw one great heartbeat!
12/5 Gender US showed a baby BOY!! with a HR of 150bpm
C-section scheduled for June 1st @ 7:30am
Born early on May 3, 2010!
skyley27
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Lizc0002 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:02 pm

Doctor say to wait until after 6 week PP check up but I never did. I am a major exercise addict, but I did not work out much during my 3 pregnancies at first due to M/S then once I felt better, I was always too tired.

I usually started walking though with the stroller the day after I came home from the hospital and then was jogging within 2 weeks.

Now, I was careful to make sure this was not causing a lot of bleeding, but I need my exercise to stay sane and to work off all my preggo pig outs.
Lizc0002
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby shawnep99 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:52 am

I am dying to get back into working out.

My birth was great..but within an hour I was in surgery having a D&C which then turned onto an emergency Abdominal hysterectomy due to vaginal bleeding :(

SO not only am I recovering from a vaginal birth which was great out in 5 pushes..like 3-4 mins :) ..Now I have a ridiculous scar..

I am not allowed too..but started trying to side abs with 5 lbs weihts and used a weighted ball to do some light standing abs..

O the pain :( that was 2 days ago...So I have to wait still,....My LO is only 4 weeks old

I am wanting to work out SO BAD. I have lost all the weight except 2 lbs or so...but want/need to tone so badly.
Me (Shawn) 33 & DH (Chris) 38
DD-17, DD-13, DS-12,DD-8 EDD #5 DD 5/16/2010
shawnep99
Angel
Angel

Postby bsweet » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:52 am

I was a big "pumper" before and during my 1st pregnancy, and plan to do the same with this next one. I did body pump at least 2 days a week during my pregnancy, right up to the day before delivery.

The day after they checked me out of the hopsitoal I started walking around the neighborhood. SLOWLY!!! I was a c-section delivery, so I was moving at a snails pace for a week or two. By 5 weeks, I was back to my old clip. I felt up to it, so I resumed Body Pump classes at that time. At my 8 week appt, I was given the official clearance to resume.

Different for everyone/ body, but I think if you listen to yourself/ your body, you'll know when you are ready.
Me: 32 DH: 33
DD: 18 months :-)
BFP: June 21st
Due March 3rd, 2011, RCS February 25th, 2011!!!

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
http://lbdf.lilypie.com/TqKmm5.png
http://lb2f.lilypie.com/GfSym5.png
bsweet
Angel
Angel

Postby Cakebossmom » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:37 am

Well I ended up having an emergency c-section after 31 hours of labour. Ugh. It took me a good 2 weeks to recover fully (walking around comfortably without pain or pulling sensation).

I started working out again during my 4th week pp (last week) and it felt great. I haven't had my 6-week pp check up yet so I'm taking it easy by not doing too much high-impact exercises. Instead I do a lot of interval intensity cardio workouts (power walks uphill/downhill & eliptical). I also do high reps/low weight lifting. I worked out my abs for the first time 2 days ago (Ouch!). :wink: I only did planks, 1/2 crunches, stability ball pikes and roll outs.

My DS will be 6 weeks tomorrow and I feel great physically. I've lost about 33 of the 35lbs gained during my p/g. Moving and exercising gave me back my sense of sanity! :wink: I got so huge at the end of my p/g (DS was almost 10lbs / 23inches) that I felt very disabled. It's great to have my body back!
DS born May 2010
DD born April 2012
Expecting #3 July 20, 2014!
Cakebossmom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Fourth Trimester