DELIVERY QUESTIONS FOR SECOND TIME MOMS OR NEW MOMS..

Fourth you ask? Your body is still full of pregnancy hormones as you adjust to life sleep-deprived with your new baby outside your womb.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

DELIVERY QUESTIONS FOR SECOND TIME MOMS OR NEW MOMS..

Postby jennellis » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:06 am

1.) ABOUT THE ACTUAL BIRTH--- DID YOU HAVE MEDS OR GO NATURAL. EITHER WAY: ARE YOU HAPPY WITH THE CHOICE YOU MADE?

2.) MAYBE A LITTLE TMI BUT DID YOU DO PERINEUM MASSAGE BEFORE LABOR AND IF SO DID IT HELP WITH NOT TEARING?
jennellis
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby fish » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:15 am

1- Labor was not painful for me at all, but I elected to have an epidural once I reached 7cm to help with the pain of pushing. No regrets at all, actually I am very thankful I had that in place, because after 2 hours of push labor I needed an emergency c-section. That was one less thing they had to mess around with before I went to the OR.

2- Didn't do any massage, but since I didn't deliver vaginally, I'm not much help with this question!
Ashley & Travis
DS Drake Michael
Born 03/05/08
9lbs 1oz 21"

Baby #2 Due 11/27/10
Arriving via c-sec 11/22/10
5/25/10 :hb: 148 bpm
6/1/10 :hb: 153 bpm

fish
Star Member
Star Member

Postby jennellis » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:22 am

Thanks for the reply. I had an epi with DS#1, I dont regret it but I *think* I would like to try to do without this time.

I also had to be cut pretty bad which made for a tough few weeks after delivery- so I am just wondering if the massage with the oils is worth it or not, to help with the stretching
jennellis
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby meg1492 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:28 am

I went no drugs at all. It's what I wanted. If I had it to do all over again I would it all the same.

I had an almost 4th degree tear. I tore right to the anus but not through it. *I count myself lucky.

I will say that I delivered at a teaching hospital and when my MW said she couldn't stitch me up because of the severity I told her that I wanted a DR to stitch me, not a student. I didn't care who watched, it wasn't a modesty issue. I just didn't feel like being the teaching tool. It's a key piece of advice if you need any repairs. It's your right to say that you want a Dr not a student.

Honestly, the healing from that was nothing in the grand scheme of my bounce back from the birth. :)
Dear Son born at 41w, delivered vaginally and med free after labor for a day and a half.

Image Image
meg1492
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jennellis » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:52 am

Meg-did you not feel like you were not ever going to feel normal down there again? I know I did.
jennellis
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Ashley » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:25 pm

1. I was induced with pitocin, wanted to go Natural, got IV drug didn't help so opted for the epi at 4cm. I don't regret anything, my birth experience was great, no side effects from the epi, quick labor only 20 mins of pushing and all smiles after.

2. I didn't do the massage either and I had a lot of tears I believe I don't remember exactly but I just know it was painful recovery. I didn't get the one from the v hole to the butthole though oddly enough lol. I tore inside and around my clit (weird and tmi i know lol) it hurt to sit for prolonged periods, to stand and lay down, when i laid down I put a pillow between my legs because any pressure just made it worse was so glad when it healed!
:angel: 11/30/08 missed m/c @ 10wks
Ashton Carter born 2/23/2010

Single Mamas Come Join!
http://s1.zetaboards.com/solomomma/index/

ImageImage

ImageImage
Ashley
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby meg1492 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:30 am

jennellis wrote:Meg-did you not feel like you were not ever going to feel normal down there again? I know I did.

Nope. Like I said, it was the easiest part of my overall recovery and I fully equate that to the repair job done by the Dr.

Was I sore? Sure. Did it feel tight? Sure. But I just delivered an over 8 pound baby...I would expect to feel sore and then tight from the stitches and the healing. KWIM?
Dear Son born at 41w, delivered vaginally and med free after labor for a day and a half.

Image Image
meg1492
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Linds0412 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:24 am

I planned on getting and epidural but she came so fast I had no choice and had to go natural. I begged for one but it was too late .. thankfully my labour was only 1hr 18mins and I only pushed for about two minutes. No I was not happy lol!

No perineum massage and I actually didn't tear this time. I did with my son but not this time.
ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage
Linds0412
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby peahead » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:57 am

1. I did 15 hours unmedicated and 8 hours with an epi at around 6 or 7cm. Don't regret it, it was very nice. Had a brutal forceps delivery, so I was at least happy that I had it for that alone.

2. Did not do any massage prior. Even with the forceps delivery, I only had a small episiotomy and just a couple of stitches - and one of them was a skin tag the doc removed for me while he was down there. :roll: Honestly, the hoo-ha was the easiest part of recovery.
Kate - 38, DH - 36, DD - 4, DD2 - 2
#2 :bfp: 1/23/10 beta 12dpo - 69, progesterone 25.7 beta 14 dpo - 174 9/24/10 7lbs3oz, 19.5"

peahead
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Autumn2000 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:02 am

I had an epidural with both. First time at about 5 cm and second time at about 7 cm. I did not tear with either babies. I never did the massage. I think I'm just lucky and that my body is just handles delivering a baby very well.

I had a great experience with both deliveries. I had also considered going without the epidural for both. Second time around I held off a bit longer but then just decided that I wanted to totally enjoy the experience and for me that meant not dealing with the pain. I'm happy with my decision. If I ever have a 3rd I'll consider going without meds again.
Autumn (34), Jeff (34), Jack (October 30, 2008) and Elizabeth (April 27, 2010)

Image Image Image

Autumn2000
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: DELIVERY QUESTIONS FOR SECOND TIME MOMS OR NEW MOMS..

Postby shermy » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:06 pm

1.) ABOUT THE ACTUAL BIRTH--- DID YOU HAVE MEDS OR GO NATURAL. EITHER WAY: ARE YOU HAPPY WITH THE CHOICE YOU MADE?

I had meds, lots and lots of meds :) after 10 hours of unmediated labor (when I got to my hospital for my induction, which wasn't needed I was 3cm), my plan was to try to avoid all medical pain management methods, ONLY because I am terrified of needles. Then the 6 min long contractions started and it was rough. All my fear of getting an epidural went away, and I know people say this, and I totally laughed them off, but I didn't feel that needle at all. I had no idea how easy it would be. For me, getting an epidural was a 100% positive experience only. I am *SO* happy I got the epidural, because it allowed me to really give vaginal delivery a try (Wes was stuck sunny side up, and it ended up that I had to have a c-section because after 5 hours of pushing he wouldn't budge, not even a little).

Oh I should add, I got the epidural at 6cm.

2.) MAYBE A LITTLE TMI BUT DID YOU DO PERINEUM MASSAGE BEFORE LABOR AND IF SO DID IT HELP WITH NOT TEARING?

I didn't do a perineum massage prior to labor, but this is a moot point since I had to have a c-section.
Wesley Alder, 7/21/2010

http://www.finchfound.com

shermy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kaytee » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:14 pm

when i was induced i was 2 cm dilated and stayed that way for 18 hrs. dr finally broke my water and things really intensified. i really wanted to go med free but i was still at 2 an hr later so decided to try the iv meds. i think they helped me relax enough to finally dilate further and i had my son just a few hrs later. i didnt do pm and had a 2nd degree episiotomy. my dr said that the second usually doesnt tear or require a cut as the area has already been stretched before.
kaytee
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Beegee » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:20 pm

I went all natural and am ~sort of~ happy I did. Happy because it was a real and very wild experience that I'll forever have the memory of. Labor and delivery is mostly a happy memory. Not happy, about going med-free, however, because I had a fourth degree tear, from vag straight thru muscle and tissue and all the way through my rectum, plus 2 other vaginal tears in another direction. It's actually not at all the tear itself that I feel traumatized over having felt every pain-med-free minute of-- people don't warn you that if you tear like this, you'll have an hour and a half of stitches while they, one stitch at a time, put you back together without a lick of pain medication. Hey, at least I now know that you don't die from pain, right? I could've used an epidural for those stitches, that's really the bottom line. I couldn't hold my baby for over an hour and half of her birth while they sewed me up because I was shaking so bad and holding onto the nurse and my husband for support. That's a memory I could do without.

I didnt' do perineum massage, but asked my doc about it for any subsequent births since i'm now quite likely to tear there again. He advised that I could do it as much as I want, but that it's more of a "it can't hurt to do it" sort of thing, opposed to an "it'll help." Know what i mean?
Me: 35, DH: 36. DD1 born June 18th, 2010. DD2 born April 12th, 2012. Baby #3 EDD Sept 16, 2014:)
Beegee
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby meg1492 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:33 pm

Beegee,

I don't know where you delivered but I went med free for L&D and most certainly did have pain meds while I was being stitched. I was thoroughly numbed. Why would whatever hospital you were at not give you a shot right there? That just blows my mind that you were stitched with nothing. That absolutely cannot be right and I am sorry that you had to go through that.

Image Image
meg1492
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby NotBarbaraBush » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:52 pm

I did not receive any pain medication until I was being stitched up afterwards. I'm thrilled with the choice I made. I had a huge fear and dread of childbirth. I faced it head on. It was a big moment when I knew I was doing it w/o an epi/IV/gas etc.

I only had to have 2 stitches but I tore my labia on the left side. It felt tight for a long time which made sex uncomfortable for quite a while. It actually healed quite quickly though.
NotBarbaraBush
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Next

Return to Fourth Trimester