Who here used Evening Primrose Oil or Red Rasp Leaf tea?

Fourth you ask? Your body is still full of pregnancy hormones as you adjust to life sleep-deprived with your new baby outside your womb.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Who here used Evening Primrose Oil or Red Rasp Leaf tea?

Postby beautyonthebeach83 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:37 pm

Did anyone here use RRLT or EPO prior to beginning labor, and if so do you feel that either helped you? Also, in what doses did you take each?

I've been drinking RRLT since 17 weeks (I'm 35w1d now.) I started out drinking 1 tea bag a day, then moved up to 2, then 3 a day, and now I drink 4 bags a day plus a bag or 2 of TM Pregnancy Tea when I remember. I just bought some bulk loose leaf tea as well and it should be here in the next few days. I didn't do this with DS and I am hoping it helps.

As for the EPO, I started at 34 weeks (orally only). I am only taking 1 pill a day since I accidentally bought the potent ones. (1300 mg per gelcap rather than the usual 500 mg.) For those who have used it, how many mg did you take a day orally, and if you did them internally when did you start that and how much?

TIA!
Crystal [28] DH Keith [28] DS Jeffrey [2] DD Chloe [5.5 months]
beautyonthebeach83
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ballerinamommy » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:50 am

I took rrl capsules from week 27...500mg each. Started with one a day and built up to 6 a day which was the recommended highest dosage on the bottle. Epo I used internally from 38 weeks, 1-2 capsules at night.

I took rrl with my first and although I was induced, I do think they helped my labor as it was meant to. This time, I went into labor on my own(I did have two sweeps though!!) but labored naturally. Contractions were pretty hard and fast once they really started going and I delivered without the help of any pitocin, which I really wanted to avoid. I think the few extra days I was allowed to go over made the difference!

Know that neither will start labor...epo helps ripen the cervix and rrl tones the uterus, making contractions more efficient.

Good luck! Hope they work for you.
Image Image
ballerinamommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby beautyonthebeach83 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:22 am

Thanks Ballerina. :) I followed (stalked--if you will) the end of your pregnancy on the Sept boards. Congrats to you! As for induction I know these aren't meant to induce, otherwise I wouldn't have started them so early. :) Again thanks for your input! I am hoping to avoid Pit as well. I was on mega doses with my son and I'd really love to go on my own this time.
beautyonthebeach83
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby beautiful_ash » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:41 pm

I took EPO and RRL faithfully starting at 36 weeks (took them now and then before that but not regularly). 2600 mg daily EPO and 3-4 of the RRL capsules daily... I had a hard time doing the actual tea since I was nauseous all the time (HG) and the capsules are more potent anyway so I just stuck to them for the most part. I never did the EPO vaginally.

Overall I really feel that the EPO and RRL helped get my body in gear for labor a little sooner than it would have otherwise (my water broke and I went into labor naturally at 39w6d), and I think the EPO also helped make my skin more flexible so I didn't tear. I also took a big capsule of vitimin E oil every day, which I also feel contributed to the no-tearing. My midwife pretty much pulled LO out of me at the end so I was shocked when she said "I don't see any tears!" when she checked me afterwards.

I don't feel that either contributed to making my labor any easier though. Labor was awful! I think the only thing that would have helped with that would have been an epidural (I went natural) :D
Me & DH - 27
DS1 - Born 9/27/10 (39 weeks 6 days), 7 lbs. 8 oz.
DS2 - Born 12/13/12 (39 weeks 6 days), 7 lbs. 9 oz.
Baby #3 - Due 5/1/14
11 DPO beta 42
18 DPO beta 2051
7w4d HB 156 Image
11w5d HB 160 Image

beautiful_ash
Addicted
Addicted

Postby beautyonthebeach83 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:52 pm

Thanks Ash. Congrats on your son! I am now 39w1d. I had no progress up until yesterday. I have REALLY upped my consumption of both EPO and RRLT since writing the original post. I think the EPO is helping to ripen me, especially since increasing my dosage. I went from 0% effaced to 80% effaced in a week, and I am finally dilated, though only 1 cm. I hope to go before my EDD. As for RRLT, I do capsules and infusion-strength organic tea. I have been drinking a minimum of 2 qts a day!!! I don't care what anyone says, they DO bring on ctx for me! I am sipping my tea and having a strong one as I type this. Yes, it could be a coincidence, but it's strange to me that they always seem to go hand in hand.
beautyonthebeach83
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby specialkel » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:13 pm

I drank somewhere between 1/2 & 1 gallon of RRL tea every day the last 2 weeks of my pregnancy (38w-40w5d). :lol: I don't think it had anything to do w/ inducing labor, but I'm sure it had something to do with the fact that I only bled for 1 week after delivery... and only had a really heavy flow for about 4 days of that.
Me: 30
DH: 36
DD1: 4/26/10
DD2: 12/10/11
DS: 11/8/14
specialkel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:38 am

I have been drinking a large cup of strong RRL tea almost every day since the beginning of my third tri. It's actually a RRL loose tea blend that I bought from a bulk herb company. The mixture also has fennel, rose hips and alfalfa. I was planning on using EPO the last couple weeks as a suppository, but I didn't think of taking it orally. I used to take it pre-pregnancy for hormone balance. I wonder if I should try taking it soon?

I'll up date on my labor and how these things worked when it happens! :)
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Fourth Trimester