episiotomy pain!

Fourth you ask? Your body is still full of pregnancy hormones as you adjust to life sleep-deprived with your new baby outside your womb.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

episiotomy pain!

Postby kaytee » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:49 pm

i am 15 weeks pp and still having pain at episiotomy site. i've been to my dr twice since my 6 week checkup. at 10 weeks she did a chemical cauterize to get rid of "abnormal" scar tissue. and then at 14 weeks she told me that everything was healed normally and that the scar was hypersensitive. she said it could take 6 mo to a year to get better, if it ever does!! she told me that if it wasnt better by 6 mo she would refer me to physical therapy for the vagina (had no idea there was such a thing!). i feel so alone with this. she said its very rare for this to happen. i havent even thought about trying to dtd and dh is being so considerate about the whole thing but i know hes desperate for it! anyone else had anything similar? it was only a second degree episiotomy, which is standard according to my dr. is there anything i can do?
Katie 23
T.J. 28
Drexel Clyde born 7/8/10
kaytee
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby ballerinamommy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:28 am

Not me, but I have heard of a few women on a forum I used to frequent who had problems with their stitches (whether episiotomy or tear) and had to have it redone months/a year or so later because the stitches had knots which never fully dissolved....perhaps this is what's causing your pain?

I'm currently almost 7 weeks postpartum with a 2nd degree tear which was of course stitched up...it's doing pretty good but it feels really scratchy still inside when DTD..I had an episiotomy the first time around and I didn't feel like this then...hoping it goes away.

I hope yours either heals up and the pain goes or that you can get it redone and it heals better...I know that seems like an awful option, but it may just work for you.
Image Image
ballerinamommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Beegee » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:38 pm

Hi! I'm 4 months pp and had a severe tear + tons of stitches and although i can finally sit comfortably now, and my doc said i'm all healed, my scar tissue is still extremely sensitive. We have tried to DTD a total of 4 times now, and all i can say is OWCH. Thank god for patient DHs. The first two times we couldn't even 'get it in' b/c of the pain and tightness. The next 2 times we could 'get it in' but ughhhhh. I actually feel queasy even thinking about how uncomfortable it was. My ob/gyn warned me that it would be tight and painful for months maybe, b/c of the scarring-- but he assured me it wont be forever. It SUCKS.

But apparently it'll get better!!!
Me: 35, DH: 36. DD1 born June 18th, 2010. DD2 born April 12th, 2012. Baby #3 EDD Sept 16, 2014:)
Beegee
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby specialkel » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:56 am

I did not have an episiotomy but I did tear naturally (minor 2nd degree). I only had 2 stitches, but one of them ended up busting (very rare). Docs told me if I was re-stitched it would almost certainly get infected, so I had to heal naturally. I did have some pain down there for a few months. DH & I didn't DTD until 3 months pp because I was too scared, but to my surprise it did not hurt at all (though it still hurt to wear thong underwear...WTF?). Of course, DH was super careful and treated me like a virgin, lol. I am 6 months pp now and am about 99% healed. It just takes a little time. Keep it clean and stick with the granny panties for a while.
Me: 30
DH: 36
DD1: 4/26/10
DD2: 12/10/11
DS: 11/8/14
specialkel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Quinn » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:07 pm

mine still hurts after 2.5 yrs. we are going to see if it heals better after another vaginal birth - if not, i am going to pursue surgical revision + cortisone injections and possibly laser.
Me~32, DH~34
BFP naturally Sept '06 - m/c 6 wks
TTC with IVF/ICSI/PGD only due to cancer-linked genetic mutation
IVF cycle #1 (5/07) - BFP! - DS born 2/16/08
IVF cycle #2 (9/09), #3 (1/10), #4 (2/10) & #5 (4/10) - all failed (m/c, no transfers, BFN)
FET cycle #1 (5/10) - BFP! - DD born 2/1/11

Quinn
Star Member
Star Member

Postby mommyofgirls » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:04 pm

You poor momma. Hugs. If i were you I'd get a new OB. I'd never deliver again with the same person after something like that. They are not all created equal when stitching is concerned. I've had 2 episiotomies with no pain after 2 weeks and no sensitivity or anything. Looking at it with a mirror i can't even tell. With my last I only had a first degree tear(maybe it was second degree?) the oncall OB delivered me. Let me tell you I was in severe crippling pain. Couldn't get out of bed 2 days after leaving the hospital. I was crying and made DH drive me to the hospital because I was convinced i had an infection in the stitches. I didn't. My OB who checked me out said the oncall OB used granulated stitches and that was why i was in pain. My ob said she didn't use that kind. The oncall OB was a female who had freaking kids so why in the h.e double ll would you do that to someone else. I was popping pain meds for 2 weeks and in unbearable pain if i didnt. I'm fine now but it was a long road. I pray you heal quickly without anymore intervention.

Also it's old school method to automatically do an episiotomy. New school of thinking is the peri massage. I had an older male OB for my first so it was an automatic epis but my second 9.5yr later was a younger female OB(still my OB) she did the massage but i still needed the epis for my second as I had already had a second degree tear she said when she made the cut. I'm so sorry your going through this!
Michele: 32 Dh:31
:babyg: 3/16/1997
:babyg: 7/7/2006
:babyg: 1/3/2009
:angel: Angel:1/16/2008 via D&C @ 9.5weeks
BFP:August 10th 2010 9/3 :hb: 131 11/22 :hb: 146
:babyg: My LOVE: Ella is here! April 8th,2011 7lbs 5.8oz
mommyofgirls
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kaytee » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:19 pm

8O 2.5 years 8O oh my word! i cant even imagine!! things are getting better. we've dtd twice, first time was BRUTAL! but the second was much easier. i guess there is light at the end of the tunnel!
Katie 23
T.J. 28
Drexel Clyde born 7/8/10
kaytee
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Return to Fourth Trimester