What are the most modern 'must have' baby things?

Fourth you ask? Your body is still full of pregnancy hormones as you adjust to life sleep-deprived with your new baby outside your womb.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

What are the most modern 'must have' baby things?

Postby HappyGoLucky » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:34 am

Hi Ladies, I'm a first trimester girl myself (but only for a few weeks, yay!!) and since my only other baby was over 14 years ago I'm wondering what your favorite baby accessories are.... things that make life easier that we didn't have available 14 years ago??
HappyGoLucky
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MrsLewis907 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:22 pm

The bouncy seat with the vibration button was a life-saver for all 3 of my kids!!

And a GOOD baby carrier...not a snuggly or bjorn, or almost anything you can find in a chain store (Ergos I hear are good...*loved* my Moby for newborn stages, and my Beco Butterfly II for after that!)

I know playpens may have changed since then (?)...the new packNplays are great, with the raised bassinets. It's great having a place to lay the baby in the daytime, in the main living area, without having to bend over a ton.

That's all I can think of right now.
Ashli 32, DH Patrick 33
Twins - DD1 Hannah & DS1 Evann - 7, DD2 Lily - 5, DD3 Abigail - 5
BFP - Mar 20, 2015 / Miscarried - March 26, 2015
Baby #5 - Shelby Nicole, born April 13, 2016, 6lb5oz, 19in
MrsLewis907
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby smomj » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:54 pm

LOL, I have age gaps between my kids too. Keeps life interesting. :D

I bought the vibrating bouncer, I put my daughter in it and she screams bloody murder. Yet she loves the swing. It depends on what they like.

The bumbo is great to have. Lets them sit up with support. You can also buy a tray for it.

The space saver highchair is awesome. Not bulky, you use it with a normal chair and easy to transport (so you don't have to use the nasty ones at restaurants) and it grows with them (infant/toddler).

The playpen with the bassinett. We leave ours in the living room, use it everyday.

Put money in a good stroller. This is something that you are going to be using for the next couple of years. You want it to have a smooth ride and enough under storage for what ever you might do/go.

After the infant car seat we are going with the omega. It grows with them and is the last car seat you will ever have to buy. It also works into the booster phase. I had one with my DD1 and loved it. Definitely going with it again.

If you are breastfeeding, make sure you have a couple of replacement parts, pieces. I have the Medela swing with the soft shields. I love it and would buy it again. The soft shields massage as it pumps but it seams I have to replace it every so often, they get worn and start to have wrinkles in the plastic. LOL, I guess I have to pump to much.

NB gowns or shirts with built in mittens. The cute little mittens that you buy separately.. they just fall off all the time, such a pain in the ass.
Me: Darlene 34, DH: Damian 33, DS 08-94, DD 02-01, 6 angel babies, 97 cone biopsy, 2005 stage 3 endo, 2 lapo's, 07 freeze cervix.

smomj
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby HappyGoLucky » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:12 am

thanks for the tips ladies, I'll for sure look into these.. we dropped by babies r us this weekend and I noticed there are bottle warmers now, WOW!! no more boiling water at 3 am!!
HappyGoLucky
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby bdipaolo86 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:09 am

HappyGoLucky wrote:thanks for the tips ladies, I'll for sure look into these.. we dropped by babies r us this weekend and I noticed there are bottle warmers now, WOW!! no more boiling water at 3 am!!

I had one and I hated it. It got the bottles waaaaay too hot. I'd always end up having to run it under cold water and keep testing and testing all while I had a newborn screaming at 3am.
Me(Britt)-24
DH(Drew)-28
DD1(Kailey)- 4/13/05
DD2(Ava)- 9/25/07
DD3(Maycie)- 3/11/11

ImageImage
bdipaolo86
Angel
Angel

Postby bdipaolo86 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:11 am

bdipaolo86 wrote:
HappyGoLucky wrote:thanks for the tips ladies, I'll for sure look into these.. we dropped by babies r us this weekend and I noticed there are bottle warmers now, WOW!! no more boiling water at 3 am!!

I had one and I hated it. It got the bottles waaaaay too hot. I'd always end up having to run it under cold water and keep testing and testing all while I had a newborn screaming at 3am.

Oh yeah, what I always did at night was keep spring water or nursery water near (room temp) where baby and I were going to be sleeping and just bought one of those powdered formula containers where you can put however many scoops you need per bottle into little seperate compartments then just pour it right into the bottle and mix it with water and shake!
Me(Britt)-24
DH(Drew)-28
DD1(Kailey)- 4/13/05
DD2(Ava)- 9/25/07
DD3(Maycie)- 3/11/11

ImageImage
bdipaolo86
Angel
Angel

Postby HappyGoLucky » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:44 pm

That's a great idea for middle of the night feedings (I used to take bottles of water to mix when I wouldn't be home in the warm months). I remember with DS what a stress it was waiting for the water to get warm enough to heat the bottle. That took longer then the feeding it seemed. Thanks for the tips ladies. I'll really research before putting the $ out for a warmer.
HappyGoLucky
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Chrisandkarene » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:00 am

I use the formula dispencer and already have the bottle with water in it. I just feed at room temp so you don't have to worry about heating the water. I have done this with both kids and it works great.

I HAVE TO SUGGEST THE FISHER PRICE ROCK AND PLAY.. ITS AWESOME I WISH IT HAD THE VIBRATION OF THE BOUNCY CHAIR BUT ITS STILL AWESOME. (GOOGLE IT)
Karene(me) 29
Chris (dh) 30
Jewel Nautica (dd)2 June 2009
Tucker Jordan (ds) 6 months Jan 2011
Chrisandkarene
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Heather32 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:33 am

This is my favorite "modern" invention. It works on the floor to sit on, straps to the chair for booster..and the tray spins so you can use the toys or the feeding tray :)

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.js ... Id=3247729

Plus the orange insert comes out when they are bigger so they can stay in it longer (DS is 2 though and still has his insert in. It does not squish chunky baby thighs like the bumbo does)
Heather:33 DH:36 DS (6) 11/04 DS (2) 2/09
DD (Brand New!) 8/7/11 8pds 4oz 19 1/2in.
:angel: 04/07 (14wks) Rest in peace sweet angel baby
ImageImage
Heather32
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Lindsey178 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:12 pm

I have to add this

http://nosefrida.com/

Its a booger-sucker and its AMAZING!!!! I can't belive I never had one with my DD1. I never knew about it until my cousins wife told me when I was pg with DD2. So then another momma posted about it a few weeks ago and when DD2 just got a nasty cold I went to whole foods and got one and it's the best ever!!

Definitely recommended to every new Momma out there!!!
me, Lindsey - 28
DH, Eric - 31
DD#1, Ava - 7/27/08
Angel Baby, MMC - 12/23/09
DD#2 - Leah 12/30/10

Lindsey178
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Heather32 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:29 pm

Tooney wrote:
Lindsey178 wrote:I have to add this

http://nosefrida.com/

Its a booger-sucker and its AMAZING!!!! I can't belive I never had one with my DD1. I never knew about it until my cousins wife told me when I was pg with DD2. So then another momma posted about it a few weeks ago and when DD2 just got a nasty cold I went to whole foods and got one and it's the best ever!!

Definitely recommended to every new Momma out there!!!

THIS x 200

We used it so much for DS#2 that I forgot it is even "modern" LOL it is a lifesaver! Our pedi recommended it to us and it really is the best at it ummmm job.
Heather:33 DH:36 DS (6) 11/04 DS (2) 2/09
DD (Brand New!) 8/7/11 8pds 4oz 19 1/2in.
:angel: 04/07 (14wks) Rest in peace sweet angel baby
ImageImage
Heather32
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:10 pm

I would say, from experience, that less is more when it comes to babies. They don't need as much as we tend to buy for them! For me, the bouncy seat was handy, because it gave him a place to hang out when I was busy. A good wrap or sling is a must. I use my Moby all the time. Some good toys and books for me to play with him. And I love my good jogging stroller... bought it at yard sale but it's a great brand and we live on a back road, so any nice day, I use that a lot!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby shermy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:12 pm

Ergo carrier. Ugh, I can't describe how fantastic it is.
Wesley Alder, 7/21/2010

http://www.finchfound.com

shermy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby meg1492 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:49 am

Arms, boobs and love. That's all you "need".

As for everything else. I agree with becca, less is more.

Look into cloth diapers, they've come a long way. Put the call out to your Momma friends to see what they have in storage or are ready to get rid of. Craigslist is a great place to get barely used items for next to nothing.

Who knows if you child will scream or love the bouncy seat. Will you ever use the bumbo? I never did the pack N Play, just had DS in whatever room I was in.

Congrats and good luck!
Dear Son born at 41w, delivered vaginally and med free after labor for a day and a half.

Image Image
meg1492
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Next

Return to Fourth Trimester