Natural Birth Recovery

Fourth you ask? Your body is still full of pregnancy hormones as you adjust to life sleep-deprived with your new baby outside your womb.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Natural Birth Recovery

Postby ktbug87 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:52 pm

I am expecting my first baby in January and am planning a home waterbirth.

I've of course read books, but I was hoping that I could get some HONEST feedback of what it is really like to recover from a completely natural birth.

How long will recovery take? What is it really like? What is the bleeding like? Were you in pain for a long time? These are just a couple of the questions I have. Mostly I'm just looking for bluntly honest feedback of how your recovery was after having a baby.

Thanks!
Me: 25 (Katie)
DH: 30
DS: (born 2/5/12 at 42w1d via emergency c-section after transfer during home birth)

ktbug87
Addicted
Addicted

Postby ivycrystals » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:20 pm

I'm not *that* much help but this came up in my mom's group and a good friend of mine had a very intervention heavy 1st birth and a completely natural 2nd birth. She said that she was up and around the very next morning. She was sore, like you get after a good workout. But nothing compared to the pain and fatigue of the first birth. And that was the general consensus from the mom's who have had more than 1 birth. Most of us had very intervention heavy births with our first. We all delivered at the same hospital.

I can't really speak to the bleeding. I had a c-section and only bled for 2 weeks. I'm assuming b/c they really scraped out my uterus, but I don't know for sure.

Everyone I know says that the all natural birth has a much shorter recovery time.
ivycrystals
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Natural Birth Recovery

Postby StefStaf » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:10 pm

I had a natural non medicated birth. DS was 8lbs, 14oz. I pushed for four hours.

I didn't tear and they didn't do an episiodomy. I was sore for awhile. I can't rememebr exactly how long but i do remember that at times it was uncomfortable to sit on hard surfaces or to stand and walk around for too long. My bottom hurt from some hemorroids. The bleeding was less than i expected. I was in regular pads in about a week. I thought there would be more bleeding than there was so i was pleasantly surprised.

I wonder if you will have less pain and tearing in a tub? I hope that is the case for you.
StefStaf
Angel
Angel

Postby bailie » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:26 pm

My third birth was all natural and by every sense of the word it was so, so, so much better afterward than my other two. I got up out of bed immediately after and felt totally fine, albeit a bit tired and pretty sore from a bad tear since my son came flying out so fast. So, my girlie bits were more tender for a few more days than my other births but my overall health status was awesome. I actually felt pretty amazing directly afterward. The only negative thing I remember happening immediately after my natural birth was being extremely cold for about ten minutes. I thought that was from the epidurals after my other births, but I guess not.
DD1: 3 DD2: 2 DS: 10 months already!
bailie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mommyslittlemnster » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:47 pm

I recovered very quickly from my natural birth. Even with a second degree tear, I felt great the next morning!
Me: Stephanie 27 DS: Stephen Jr. 11/28/2008
Dylan Danger 6/19/2010 Charlotte and Chelsea 5/24/2012
mommyslittlemnster
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jcatz » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:08 pm

mommyslittlemnster wrote:I recovered very quickly from my natural birth. Even with a second degree tear, I felt great the next morning!

Same here!
Jessica
Gabriella Lisa- 12.03.08
Michael Sean- 11.25.11
Ezra James- 02.01.14
Baby GIRL - due 03.18.15

jcatz
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:09 pm

I know you already had the baby no doubt, but I thought I'd post anyway, for anyone else that was interested! :D

I had an all natural hospital birth at 39 1/2 weeks. Labor was 15 hours (with some back labor) and I had a 2nd degree tear. The next day I was achy and sore through my whole mid section (from pushing, I think), was havinga lot of post partum cramping from nursing, and bleeding heavily,but I didn't feel too bad. Just took some ibuprofen that one day. The second day I felt a lot better, had almost normal energy, and took a short walk.

I had PP bleeding for about 2 1/2 weeks, with a little bit more spotting a few weeks later. By 4 days PP, I was feeling well enough to take a long walk around the neighborhood!

The only thing that took a while to return to normal was intercourse. I was sore from the tear.
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jesscc » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:20 pm

I have had one medicated birth and two natural births. The recovery from the natural births was MUCH better. I had no issues with the medication or anything, and no problems, but after my natural births, my body felt normal again. I was sore and tired of course, but I healed quicker and felt more like myself. After the medicated birth I felt like I was recovering from more. Although I believe there is a place for medication, I hope never to have a medicated birth again, and part of the reason is the much easier recovery from my natural births.
My three darlings:
DS: Dec. 06
DD: Sep. 08
DS: Apr. 10

jesscc
Addicted
Addicted

Postby cbhattarai » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:44 am

If you are giving birth at home, then remember that it is risky. Try to appoint one doctor...
cbhattarai
Friend

Postby NotBarbaraBush » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:58 pm

I felt like running a marathon after giving birth. Then I was just really sore. Not just down there (I was numbed from the ice pack pretty good) but every muscle in my body ached. All my muscles were sore for days.
NotBarbaraBush
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby NicoleRP » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:57 am

I was pretty sore 5-10 minutes after my vaginal delivery (5 hour labor, 45 min pushing), but starting from an hour afterwards, I felt wonderful. I had one small internal tear but after it was stitched up, I never felt sore at all and was up an walking all around the same day. Ironically enough, I had the most discomfort (mild itchiness and irritation) a week later, as the stitches were re-absorbed into my body. I am now at 9 days postpartum and feel great physically. I would definitely do a natural birth again! As far as the bleeding went, I was in heavy pads for the first 5 days (not soaking them by any means though) and regular pads for a week after that (again, not coming anywhere close to soaking them, even after 24 hours of use). I expect to go down to light pads next week and I wouldn't be surprised if the bleeding stops by next week (3 weeks postpartum). Really not bad at all!
Me: 32
DH: 33
Married: 2/14/09
1st BFP 12/25/11 - A boy, born 8/23/12
2nd BFP 11/20/13 - A girl, born 8/02/14
3rd BFP 11/2/16 - EDD 7/10/17

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
NicoleRP
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Fourth Trimester