Tearing

Fourth you ask? Your body is still full of pregnancy hormones as you adjust to life sleep-deprived with your new baby outside your womb.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Tearing

Postby Mommysoon » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:42 pm

I am dues in a month and was in w my SIL during her delivery. She had a horrible 3rd degree Tear that has me wanting a c section.

Few questions for those of you who have already delivered...

Did you tear?
If so, how bad?
If not, what do you think helped you not to tear?

Have you ever had a c section?
If so, how was that experience?
If you have had babies both ways, which do you prefer and why?

Thanks so much for your responses!
Me (Lauren) 37, DH 43
Conceived through IVF
It's a Girl!

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker

Mommysoon
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Re: Tearing

Postby litmajor » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:14 am

I'll be honest, a c section seems like the ultimate ”tear” to me.

I had an episiotomy, so second degree. I was sore but it wasn't terrible (and t3 worked wonders ;) ). Most importantly, my DD came shooting out the contraction after. Wouldn't change a thing.
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby carak21 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:58 pm

I had a vaginal delivery with a minor first degree tear. Only one stitch.
But your doctor knows when and if you'll need an episiotomy. If s/he feels it necessary they will make a small incision so you won't tear and then like pp said its a 2nd degree with a few stitches. Healing timei would imagine is about the same for first and second degree. I was feeling better after a week at the latest. The only thing that I remember hurting is my butt from all the pressure, my lady bits hurt the first three days but more like a tender sore feeling. The witch hazel and tucks pads were amazing for me. With a c-section healing is a lot longer and more painful, I wouldn't know from experience so don't quote me on it but that's just what I've gathered. It's a serious surgery. It is important the baby makes it here safe no matter how it gets here but I would "chose" a section willingly.
Cara (28)
DH-Casey 36
DSS-Taylor-15
DS-Archer-1
DD-Aspen Claire born September 1st 7lb 1 oz

carak21
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Cayman4 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:15 pm

I have had two c-sections now. The first one was after two hours of pushing and no progress I was rushed to the OR for the section and the second one was scheduled since DD decided she didn't want to be born via a VBAC.

I can only speak from my experience and haven't experienced a tear. I wouldn't opt for a c-section if given a choice. It is major abdominal surgery. It's not easy. My first one it took a full two months to be pain free and the birth was traumatic. The second was much easier since I had been through it before and knew what to expect. I was up walking around the next day and even went home a day early. Also, I didn't go through trying to push DD out and then get a section. Her birth was easier for me. Everyone is different though and every experience is different.

You have to do what is best for you, but please consider all your options. I would have loved to experience a vaginal birth and wanted it more than anything. In the end both my kids are here safely and are healthy and I did fine too. That's what matters. But I would not have had c-sections if I could have avoided them.
Me: 34 DH: 37 DS: 3 DD: Born 8/31/12

Benjamin Thomas born on 12/4/09, 7 lbs. 13 oz., 20 in.

Alexa Michelle born on 8/31/12, 8 lbs. 1 oz., 20 1/2 in.

Cayman4

Postby KJ511 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:13 pm

I had a 2nd degree tear with just a few stitches. I had an epidural so I didn't feel a darn thing. After it wore off, I was sore but nothing that a dose of ibuprofen didn't take care of! I have never had a c-section either but from the things I've heard from friends and family it's a really tough recovery--it takes a lot longer to recover from that than a vaginal birth. I also just googled and saw that 90% of tears are 1st or 2nd degree, so please try not to worry too much about a more serious tear! I've heard that perineal massage helps to stretch you out beforehand so that you're less likely to tear, so maybe try that.
Me (Kelli)-28
DH-31

The Zebra family! :)
KJ511
Addicted
Addicted

Postby mjg1127 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:33 am

I have had 5 children and all vaginally and have never torn once.

What have I done to help prevent it? I try to relax every part of my body as much possible and focus on pushing and pushing hard. I also listen to the m/w or dr when they say to stop pushing and they always massage and help to stretch me out and it has always worked. My babies were all 6lb10oz - 7lb 13oz.
If what snookers says is true then that has helped as well b/c I go to a chiro throughout my pregnancies.

I would personally just try to relax and talk to your dr about whether or not he/she will do the massage for you while pushing.
Jenna (29) :hb: DH (36)
:angel:10/1/06 (4weeks) :angel: 3/12/12 (5weeks)
DD - Jan 2006
DD - July 2007
DD - Sept 2008
DS - April 2011
DS - Dec 2012
Unless the Lord decides otherwise...our family is complete. :-)
mjg1127
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby epona87 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:28 pm

I had a vaginal birth (no pain meds) and had a 2nd degree tear. I didn't even feel it when it happened. You're way too focused on pushing and all your endorphins take over anyway. They use freezing when they stitch you up so you don't even feel that part either. It took about 3 weeks for my vag to start feeling normal again... and now at 8 weeks pp it's totally back to normal and looks the exact same as before. lol.

You're going to be sore down there whether you tear or not... but either way, it will heal.

DO YOUR KEGELS! It makes it less likely that you will tear. Also, squats can help.
You can also do perineum massage.

I've heard that it's better to tear naturally than to have the doctor do a cut, if possible.

I wouldn't choose a c section... it's a major surgery and the healing time is longer.
epona87
Star Member
Star Member

Postby kimberlina23 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:16 am

I had a natural birth (no meds) and had a second degree tear. I didn't feel it at all when it happened, but when she told me about it I was super nervous to get stitched!! It ended up being NO big deal. She gave me a few shots of lidocain (like they do at the dentist) and I just layed there with my baby on my chest while she stitched me up— totally painless. The healing process has been a cinch (I'm 11 days pp and feel surprisingly great)... I took ibuprofen for the first few days, that probably helped.
Check out my blog (with weekly pregnancy updates and other fun things!) www.blendingbeautiful.com

Image Image

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
kimberlina23
Angel
Angel

Postby NotBarbaraBush » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:53 am

I had a 2nd degree tear with DD (2 stitches). I didn't feel when I tore and the only issue was making sure I kept up with ice afterwards to keep the swelling down where the stitches were, otherwise it would feel really tender.
I hope to push in a better position this time and hopefully not tear but it's okay if I do. I'm concentrating more on an uncomplicated and safe delivery.

Tearing sounds scary but unless you tear quite badly which I think is rare (and I think could be traumatic), it's not so bad. There's so much going on after delivery, you don't even think about it. It just stings a bit with the lidocaine and when you get some stitches. You're concentrating too much on your new baby!
NotBarbaraBush
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Fourth Trimester