What is your night time routine?

Fourth you ask? Your body is still full of pregnancy hormones as you adjust to life sleep-deprived with your new baby outside your womb.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

What is your night time routine?

Postby OptimisticLove » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:56 am

I'm trying to figure out a routine so that I'm not as tired in the middle of the night. My little one sleeps from about 9pm-12am, then she goes back to sleep at about 1am, and wakes up again at about 4:30am, then sleeps until about 7 or 8am. I'm trying to think of things to do to keep me awake when she's awake. Like now, I'm on the computer..lol, and it's 4:55am. I also am watching tv. Yesterday I tried coffee. It is getting a little easier than it had been.
OptimisticLove
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby pumpkin » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:19 am

When DD wakes up at hours like that, I used to watch TV or use my laptop. I had read somewhere that doing so encourages baby to stay up longer and it is better to do a quick, quiet feeding so that the transition to sleeping through the night later on will be easier. However, I have noticed the last couple times where I take her into bed for the early morning feeding (DD goes down for the night around 11-12 and sleeps until 5:30) that I am sleeping worse now. It is like hitting the snooze alarm repeatedly since she and I are both napping and nursing together. I think just getting up, feeding, and going back to bed was working better.

Of course, when school starts, I will just be getting up at 5:30 anyways so I probably should just do that now.
ImageImage
pumpkin
Addicted
Addicted

Postby deleteme » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:17 am

Right now Kaydence is sleeping pretty random hours but for the past 3 nights we've noticed that if we wake her up before 10pm and keep her awake until midnight, we can get at least 5 hours of uninterrupted sleep. So between 10 and midnight is when I do her tummy time, extra nursing, bath, change clothes, etc...just things to keep her awake.
deleteme
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby laurab007 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:04 am

When DD was waking in the middle of the night, I would watch TV while I fed her, but I would leave all the lights off. I can't feed her in the dark, in total silence, or I fall asleep.

Watching TV helped keep me awake, but didn't make it so I couldn't fall back to sleep. I would feed DD, change her with her light very dim and put her back to sleep.

It will soon pass! Good luck!
Laura - 43 and still fabulous!
:angel: 1/19/10 M/C 8w5d d&c (triploidy)
No longer TTC

ImageImage

laurab007
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby JakobsMomma » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:14 am

I have a bunch of shows recorded so this is when I watch tv. Sometimes I'm just so tired we sit in the recliner and I snooze while he nurses. The past couple of nights have been brutal. If I get an early evening nap in it makes the middle of the night a little better.
JakobsMomma
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kellie84 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:07 am

It was so difficult to stay awake but I found that if I left the TV and lights off he would usually go right back to sleep after he ate. I did fall asleep a couple times feeding him, I think everyone does! Ahh I am so glad that those days are over. It gets better! :D
Mommy to *R* 04/07 & *J* 09/09
kellie84
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Packnutsmom+1 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:30 am

kellie84 wrote:It was so difficult to stay awake but I found that if I left the TV and lights off he would usually go right back to sleep after he ate.

I found the same thing for Paxton, so we got a night light to go in our room.. I fell asleep alot and still do.. I would put her in her pack and play as soon and she was done eating even if she was awake, she would fuss a bit but always fell asleep pretty quick..

Make the transition a smooth one with little distractions and she'll soon learn that it's night time and come to the point where she doesn't even open her eyes to eat.. Good luck :D
<div>Still here, back to the old name though!</div>
Packnutsmom+1
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kellie84 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:40 pm

MohawkPrincess wrote: I would put her in her pack and play as soon and she was done eating even if she was awake, she would fuss a bit but always fell asleep pretty quick.

Yeah I forgot to mention that. When I lay Ryan down after he is done eating he kind of grunts and fusses a bit but if I leave him he is asleep in a few minutes. I used to pick him up to try and soothe him and it just woke him up more.

Oh and I know it sounds bad but don't even talk to them if possible. They need to learn that night time is just sleeping time. The more quiet and boring it is the better off you'll be.

good luck :D
Mommy to *R* 04/07 & *J* 09/09
kellie84
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ahenderson05 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:06 pm

I totally agree with PP, You have to make it BORING for them. But I do turn on the TV very low volume, I felt asleep once and wake up feeding his ear :oops: LOL, Whoops!! Super Momma :D
Amanda (33) DH (34) H(13) M(9) K(5) C (2) G (1)

ahenderson05
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Packnutsmom+1 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:18 pm

kellie84 wrote:Oh and I know it sounds bad but don't even talk to them if possible. They need to learn that night time is just sleeping time. The more quiet and boring it is the better off you'll be.

I was going to say that too..It's hard but you half to do it sometimes!!
<div>Still here, back to the old name though!</div>
Packnutsmom+1
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Gabbysmama » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:17 pm

I agree - I'm totally boring at night. No talking, no lights. . . I don't want her to wake up!! Generally, Gabby only gets up once or twice to eat, but she's a bear to get back down, so it could be up to an hour - hour and a half for one feeding. I'll feed her, put her down and then go in the office (next to her room) and go on the computer until I know she's really asleep. Or until she cries and I have to go soothe her. :roll:
-Patti
PS - After this weekend, though, the computer time will be replaced with reading the new Harry Potter book. :)
***Patti***
Gabrielle Victoria - 4.30.2007
Katherine Elizabeth - 11.17.10
Gabbysmama
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Emmas_Mama » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:58 pm

I used to fall asleep all the time while Emma was on the boob. Now, she has gotten good enough at "seeking out" her food that I just lay on my side and lay her next to me and she eats until she is done and then passes out. Sometimes I fall asleep too, but then she just sleeps there until next time. Otherwise, she goes back in her co-sleeper. It keeps things very quiet and low key so she doesn't get too stimulated.
Emmas_Mama
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kelly13 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:03 pm

Baybeegrl wrote:PS - After this weekend, though, the computer time will be replaced with reading the new Harry Potter book. :)

Hey, that's what I'm doing, too! LOL! I think I'm going to have many sleepless nights (more than usual!) until I finish that book :)
Kelly13
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby amberkay » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:19 pm

Our night time routine is....7:30 pm-get pjs on, 7:40-7:50 nurse, 8:00 pm-falls asleep and goes to bed in crib.
Up about 1 or 2 am to nurse for about 10 minutes and falls back asleep.
Up about 4 am to nurse again, 5 or 10 minutes and back to sleep until between 5 and 6 am then we are up for the day.

Not too bad. He created that schedule himself, so I just go along with it. It works pretty well since it is predictable.

amberkay
DS born 3/25/07
amberkay
Star Member
Star Member

Next

Return to Fourth Trimester