Did you have a natural birth and would you do it again?

Fourth you ask? Your body is still full of pregnancy hormones as you adjust to life sleep-deprived with your new baby outside your womb.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Re: Did you have a natural birth and would you do it again?

Postby bazil323 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:32 am

Neither. Baby didn't get any meds/vaccinations until her 2-week check. My midwife isn't a nurse or anything, but she does do some herbal remedies for the mom mostly. I am in Wisconsin in the US, and t e only requirement for babies (I think) is to do a blood screen test, and I think even that is optional, jus t. Required to do it after 24 hours if you don't decline it.
Recently had our first child and have been married since October 6, 2006. I'm 27 and DH 29.

First pregnancy chemical, January 31, 2013.

Got our BFP on March 6, 2013. EDC November 11. Born November 11, 2013!
bazil323
Addicted
Addicted

Postby MrsJenkins » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:16 am

Thanks so much for the reply. I've since found out that the Vit K shot isn't mandatory here, I just have to decline it. Same with the antibiotic eye ointment at birth (in case of chlamydia or gonorrhea) - it can be declined here. That's a relief. :-)
Tomos Jenkins born Feb 8 2014
Huge fan of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM)
MrsJenkins
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby angellady » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:03 am

I wanted to share.
first birth an emergency csec and i hated it completely.
2nd birth (ignore my signature just have not changed it) was medicated but too late...
I got to 5 on nothing and then it was bad real bad so I got an epi but before it could even work I got to 10 and pushed my son out. It was a very empowering experience. The epi started to work right at the last moment but I still felt everything. Him moving through the birth canal and every contraction. It hurt like he'll but I felt wonderful after. I needed to be cut so the epi made me numb for my stitches but such a low dose was put in I was up and walking within an hour of the birth and no catheter was inserted.
I would choose an epi again though should I have more kids. Ain't no medal for feeling all that pain lol.
Me - Laura 27
DH - Liam 31

DS - Jack 3

Expecting #2 Oct 15th
angellady
Addicted
Addicted

Postby J.Erica » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:07 pm

I had my son on 2/5. I had every intention of having an epidural, but when I went in for induction, my bloodwork showed my platelets were only 80,000. Evidently, they're supposed to be 100,000 to get an epidural. They did more bloodwork a little later, and they'd dropped into the 50,000s. The pain was very manageable until they broke my water. I was given Stadol, which helped for a little while...but when the main event was about to start, I might as well have taken a Tylenol...because it did nothing but make me very tired between contractions/pushing. I felt all of it. Pain. Sheer pain. Once my son was out, though, I felt 100 times better.

Oh, and if I have another baby someday, I'm gonna PRAY the platelet thing doesn't happen again so I can have an epidural.
Image My Ovulation Chart

ME: Age 27
HUSBAND: Age 30
BFP on 6/9/13...our first!

Dori couldn't be bothered to have her picture taken.
J.Erica

Postby Gonzo1 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:16 pm

Hey! I just had a natural water birth in the hospital. It was rough, labor hurts. It is hard work and I can see why many would choose pain relief.

However...

My son is our first child and labor was 20 hours... He was unexpectedly 10lb+. I had no clue he'd be that big! And while it was an intense and difficult experience, I would do it again. Not because I had one of those transformative, empowering births that you sometimes hear about, but because DH and i agreed it was the safest, healthiest option for our family.

You can do it if you set your mind firmly to it and if you have a support team to keep you focused on relaxing through the contractions as best you can. Don't let your fear or pain hold you back or get in the way.

I had so many ppl tell me before birth that i was crazy, or that id change my mind and beg for the epidural. Or they'd just look at me like i suddenly grew a second head. Its all BS. Ignore the doubters and the haters.

Focus on the kind of birth YOU want. Learn all you can, take some classes, and you will make it happen.
BFP 06/13/2013
HB 7/29- 170s
9/6 It's a BOY! :future baby boy:
Wyatt born 2/2014 - All natural water birth
Gonzo1
Star Member
Star Member

Postby bazil323 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:50 pm

Congrats Gonzo! Shows how little I have been on lately that I'm just now seeing it, lol. I had a similar experience with people saying I was braver than they were or I was crazy, or just give me that look, but I did my research and made up my mind and chose to birth in a place where I would not have to deal with suggestions to take something or even just have the temptation there for me, and that made my natural birth possible and successful. Yes, it hurt but not that u. Even that day I thought it was fine, and my petroleum felt fine with only a little stinging now and then when I over did it, and about a week later, I said that if it weren't for the books and holding a baby, I wouldn't have felt like I had been pregnant even.
Recently had our first child and have been married since October 6, 2006. I'm 27 and DH 29.

First pregnancy chemical, January 31, 2013.

Got our BFP on March 6, 2013. EDC November 11. Born November 11, 2013!
bazil323
Addicted
Addicted

Postby corty12 » Thu May 08, 2014 12:59 am

I just gave birth to my son naturally a week ago. I had planned to all along, I'm deathly afraid of needles and really didn't want to be taking any unecessary drugs in the first place. I ended up needing pitocin to help my contractions and that made everything worse. So durring I gave up on myself and ended up wanting meds. However it was too late. And after all was said and done I'm glad it was. I feel accomplished. I'd say if it weren't for the pitocin it wouldn't have been so bad. For me the worst part was not being able to push. Everybody is different though. I say if you go in with enough determination you can do it. In the end if it's what you really want you will feel much better accomplishing it. Good luck!

corty12
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby Kmm2012 » Fri May 23, 2014 11:54 pm

I did not, but I think it's awesome that you ladies had an unmedicated birth! However, I received an epidural and had a wonderful experience too!

My water broke in the middle of moving day. I immediately started having contractions 3 min apart. I went from 1-8 cm within an hour and was begging for the epidural. I tried breathing and relaxing, but all I did was thrash about in the bed and wanted to scream. The second that epidural hit my back (which I did not feel and I hate needles) I felt instant relief. I was able to be calm, relax, and enjoy the experience. It took about another hour to get to 10 cm and then another hour of pushing.( My hospital allows you to push a button to give yourself the option for more medication instead of the big bolus. Well I pushed it twice right before I started pushing and so it was a little harder to push/feel everything.) however, I could have pushed for longer because I was so content and had energy. I was up within an hour of delivery.

My daughter had no side effects from the epidural and has been super alert since she was born. The epidural slowed down my labor or else she would have prob been here in less than 2 hours. I was warned to camp out at the hospital for the next baby or else I might not make it in time. :)I did not have to get pitocin which I was happy about because I have heard how much more painful that can be.

Just wanted to give a positive perspective of the epidural. Would I do it again with an epidural-yes! However, my doctor doesn't think I will be able to get one next time.
Katie 29, DH 30
Khloe Rose born 01/04/14 @636 pm
Kmm2012
Angel
Angel

Previous

Return to Fourth Trimester