Are you wealthy?

Meet other moms who have chosen to stay at home

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Are you financially wealthy?

Yes
11%
No
89%

Total votes : 74

Postby MightyMarj » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:54 pm

Emmo wrote:
MightyMarj wrote:I said 'yes' because I think by the world's standards we're all wealthy and can get by with a lot less than we think we can. Also, even though DH & I are nowhere close to living in a mansion by US standards or making seven figures, I do know we're better off than a lot of people in the US and live in a wealthy area.

I thought the same thing when I first voted, but I put "no" for the purpose of the thread. Technically, we all are wealthy compared to the rest of the world, but according to society's standards/expectations, and misconceptions about SAHMs, we are not "wealthy"...
but while we are on the topic...

http://www.globalrichlist.com/

Cool website, Emmo!
For the purposes of the poll, I still think a lot of people would consider us wealthy. But as Amber said (can't remember if it was this thread or the other one), it's all about what expenses you have. DH had a LOT of student loan debt, and we also had cc debt from when we were first married and very poor. We're finally digging out of that, and our debt should be paid off in another year. We have a 2-story house, and we qualified for a much bigger one. I'm so glad we bought the one we did though because it's so easy to overextend yourself, and once you've bought a house it's hard to get out. I think that's a big factor in both parents having to work - buying too much house.
Last edited by MightyMarj on Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Me: 34 DH: 38 DS: Colvin, 6 DD: Georgia, 4 DD: Ella, 4, from Russia
Baby #4 c-section scheduled for July 28!
:angel: Aug 2012 at 5 wks 3 days

Adoption story http://aplantingforhisglory.blogspot.com//, Love fabric? http://www.etsy.com/shop/mightymarj
MightyMarj
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby specialkel » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:12 pm

This post came at just the right time for me, because I just informed my bosses last week that I will be resigning my position in March to become a SAHM. This life change has been many, many months in the making because DH & I have been actively "deflating" our lifestyle so that we can afford for me to stay home. If you ask me, most SAHMs are not wealthy... they just have their priorities in order. :wink:
Me: 30
DH: 36
DD1: 4/26/10
DD2: 12/10/11
DS: 11/8/14
specialkel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Michellelynn219 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:27 pm

*ok, so define wealthy. I feel like if I answer incorrectly I am gonna get stoned *ducking* joking :)

Dh makes a good salary. We live in a nice area on Long Island I never thought I would EVER be living in. We also have a two story home on a large parcel of propery. No cc debt and we own two cars. Hubby and I choose to be as Mightymarj said, good stewards of our money.

My son is 5, I accept hand me down clothing from my bff who has two boys ages 7 and 10

We use a lot of recvc'd gift cards to go to dinner or buy clothing. We don't need to we choose to.

We don't purchase that much gas for our cars or go out to lunch or buy clothing because dh works from home and I hardly go anywhere.

I think we are all pretty smart ladies trying to hold onto our money and making really good choices for our families :)
Michelle 43
Married 8.5 years
Sahm
Nicholas 6-Concv'd cycle 18 via IUI/50mg clomid
Brianna 2.5 -Concv'd natural, cycle 24 after 11 failed IUI's
2- cesareans
May 06 dx Hashimotos

Fur baby -Gracie born 2/6/2011
Shihpoo

My Ovulation Chart
Michellelynn219
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Nikkeh » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:30 pm

Emmo wrote:Absolutely not.
I'm proud of the fact that I have made sacrifices to be a SAHM. :D
And TBO, we weren't at all wealthy before I became a SAHM, but we still made it work. I wish other people realized that about families with SAHMs.

This, exactly.

Nikkeh
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Emmo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:44 am

specialkel wrote:If you ask me, most SAHMs are not wealthy... they just have their priorities in order. :wink:

Agreed...

Michellelynn- What I'm thinking of with "wealthy" would be like desperate housewives/ or housewives of ___ fill in the blank___ shows. Seems like that's what people view as families who's wives stay home,lol. Which is not me. I'm not some bored housewife with lots of money to spend on going to the spa.
Me: 31
DH: 32
DS: 4 (Nov 2008 baby)
DD: 1 (Nov 2011 baby)

Image Image :cloth diapering:
Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Michellelynn219 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:21 am

Emmo wrote:
specialkel wrote:If you ask me, most SAHMs are not wealthy... they just have their priorities in order. :wink:

Agreed...

Michellelynn- What I'm thinking of with "wealthy" would be like desperate housewives/ or housewives of ___ fill in the blank___ shows. Seems like that's what people view as families who's wives stay home,lol. Which is not me. I'm not some bored housewife with lots of money to spend on going to the spa.

Gotcha :wink: Although...I am a bored housewife, lol!

What gets me is there are people in my life who do work, don't bring in as much income as dh ( yes, they told me how much they make) and are constantly spending without any rhyme or reason. I just think it's foolish to spend what you don't have or to buy things you don't really need just to satisfy an emotion ya know what i mean? Someone I know has a cc that they hide from their dh and she uses it whenever she is having a bad day and it seems she's having them several times a week. She's always asking me to go to the outlets with her and I always decline. I don't feel fullfilled shoppping and I won't go with her to go window shopping :roll:

I get where you are coming from now :)
Michelle 43
Married 8.5 years
Sahm
Nicholas 6-Concv'd cycle 18 via IUI/50mg clomid
Brianna 2.5 -Concv'd natural, cycle 24 after 11 failed IUI's
2- cesareans
May 06 dx Hashimotos

Fur baby -Gracie born 2/6/2011
Shihpoo

My Ovulation Chart
Michellelynn219
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jhough0903 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:23 pm

we are definitely not wealthy. I left my job soon after ds was born. I was planning on going back but realized I couldnt do it. We had tried for 5 years to get him and I wanted to spend as much time with him as possible. Now with #2 on the way there is no way we can afford daycare/sitter for 2 kids since it would be most of my paycheck.
We live within our means. I budget my husband's checks for 4 months in advance so I know what is going out every week. We own 2 cars (well sorta one we are still paying on; but will be done early 2012) and a very modest house. I shop at Aldi's and get things on sale or price compare at Walmart. I tried cutting coupons but it ended up not being worth it (for me anyway). We do eat out still but not alot. My FIL raises calves so we get 1/2 cow a year for beef, which is alot cheaper than buying at the store.
I also shop 2nd hand stores or go to garage sales for clothes for ds.
Image DD 6/09/11 Image
Image DS 6/12/09 Image
Jennifer:34 DH:32 Married 09/06/03 Furbabies: Kayla, Meyah, & Belle
jhough0903
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MightyMarj » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:46 pm

Emmo wrote:

Agreed...

:lol: Ok, by that standard I am definitely NOT wealthy!
Me: 34 DH: 38 DS: Colvin, 6 DD: Georgia, 4 DD: Ella, 4, from Russia
Baby #4 c-section scheduled for July 28!
:angel: Aug 2012 at 5 wks 3 days

Adoption story http://aplantingforhisglory.blogspot.com//, Love fabric? http://www.etsy.com/shop/mightymarj
MightyMarj
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Emmo » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:03 pm

MightyMarj wrote:
Emmo wrote:

Agreed...

:lol: Ok, by that standard I am definitely NOT wealthy!

Lol, well, maybe just a family whose husband is a doctor or something that pays really well. That sounds like a more reasonable wealthy.

Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:33 pm

I don't think we are wealthy, but we are comfortable. We live in a very small house out in the country and budget our money, but right now we have enough money to go out once a week at a family restaurant and buy what clothes we need, etc. We are pretty thrifty (I was brought up in a family with little money) and we are trying to save our money to buy a bigger house, so we don't spend willy-nilly for sure. And we are pretty much minimalists and get by with not too much. So no, I don't think we are wealthy, but I can't complain!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kisty214 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:47 pm

We aren't we've made a lot of sacrifices for me to be a sahm, and since we moved and downsized we are now caught up on everything, can do a lot more then we could have in our other home, and are almost actually ahead....we we live we are considered middle class by dh's income and if I were to actually work, we'd be worse off b/c of having two in daycare, my income would go to that and so we wouldn't be ahead
ME-Kisty(27) DH-Brett(32)
DS1: 9/14/09
DS2: 8/12/10
m/c 3/3/08
m/c 5/15/11
DS3: 2/21/12

Kisty214
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby liliyana » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:57 pm

I've seen the term "comfortable" a few times in this thread, and that's how I would describe us. Not wealthy, but comfortable. Our cars are long paid off, we have no credit card debt or student loans to pay off, and we own a nice house. However, we don't go on any vacations, I'm not into jewelry or designer clothes, and most of DD's clothes come from Gymboree (and on sale), not a boutique.

Do people really think of SAHMs as being wealthy? Most of the SAHMs I know in real life are lower income, with assistance from the government and/or family.
ImageImage
DD- 6
6+ miscarriages
#2 due in October! (Total surprise, we had given up!)
liliyana
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MegsIsMommy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:50 am

I answered No as well. We are comfortable. Once student loans are paid off, we'll be wealthy! :rofl: We have made sacrifices and continue to do so.

We live in a very nice house, the house I've always dreamed of having {my expectations are not very high though!} but on the outskirts of the metro area so DH commutes a good 30 minutes to/from his work. We drive pre owned cars, one we are trying to sell to go to one car. We were stupid and got into CC debit early into our marriage and for the last two years are trying to get ourselves out of it. Our "vacation" is going to Georgia about twice a year and staying with family.

Neither one of us can imagine having someone else raise our child so we prioritized and made sacrifices. DH also works bonker hours so we felt it best for DD to have mommy always there to count on and to keep a routine she is used to.
Megs {29} DH {32}
MegsIsMommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Emmo » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:06 pm

liliyana wrote:
Do people really think of SAHMs as being wealthy? Most of the SAHMs I know in real life are lower income, with assistance from the government and/or family.

That sounds more realistic. I've heard lots of people refer to it as a luxury, talking about stay at home moms as if they are pampered,lol.

Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby J_blackrose » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:31 pm

SILKROSE1982 wrote:
stefanielynn wrote:Definitely don't consider us wealthy. My hubby is an E-5 in the military. We make enough to get by, and are able to afford our necessities and some extras, but we definitely aren't constantly going on vacation, or out to eat, or buying expensive clothing. Everything has to be budgeted. But I think the trade-off is totally worth it, and wouldn't trade being home for more money.

This exactly, even down to the rank. We don't have the fanciest cars, the most toys, etc., but we have enough to live comfortably without struggling from paycheck to paycheck. I think that is mostly due to the fact that like Stephanielynn said, we budget and live WELL within our means. I watch friends of ours who make less (lower ranked) live in apartments/homes that are twice what ours costs plus drive two brand new cars with payments and cannot figure out why they never have any money and both have to work. You pay to play...

Also, like MK13 said, if you are used to living on less, it makes it easier...Its all about what is important to you/your family. For us, that is raising our children without daycare and one parent at home with them when at all possible. I do not plan on always being a SAHM, only while my children are under school aged. Once they are in school, I will go back to work, hence why I am finishing up my Nurisng degree right now...for that future.

Same here same rank manage to take care of everything we need too took care of all of our bills have slightly used cars. everyone around us downing in debt. We've actually lost friends over it. When we met them we we're struggling and working to recover our finances as soon as we did and started doing better then them. They don't talk to us. Like we did it to spite them.
Beta 1664 at 4w2d
Beta 3683 at 4w4d
heard the :hb: at 8w0d

december 15, 2009
7lbs 11oz 19 inchs long
J_blackrose
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

PreviousNext

Return to Stay at Home Moms