Are you wealthy?

Meet other moms who have chosen to stay at home

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Are you financially wealthy?

Yes
11%
No
89%

Total votes : 74

Postby pinkbabydust » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:45 pm

I am going to be the minority here and say absolutely not. If I were to be honest, I would tell you we are considered poverty. Let me explain. My bf was married for 7 years. He adopted her oldest daughter and they had 2 more together. She decided it was time to sleep with everyone she saw and they divorced. At the time, he was making 30k a year which is very good for our area. When she left, she also took 70% of his income with her BEFORE taxes. So after that 70%, he gets all the taxes taken out, and comes home with a whopping 200-250 dollars every two weeks. Shortly after we got together, he got laid off. She is still taking the same amount of money because the courts refuse to lower it. A few months later, I got laid off. We live in an area where it's hard to get hired at McDonalds. So, we're both on unemployment, I go to school full-time now to TRY to make a better life, just couldn't think of a different way, he works what he can under the table, and we are not making it by any means. I bring in a while 500 a month. Our mortgage is a tiny amount of 300 a month, but that's a large chunk of what we're bring in. Add the 300 a month truck payment he has, gas, bills, food for us and our kids, and we are negative the same day our money goes in. We are trying everything we can but can't find a way out. While they were married, they lived comfortably. She was a SAHM. He worked. Bills were all paid (or so he thought) he could afford his truck, house, etc, and still have money for vacations here and there. Well, when she left, she left him with 11k in cc debt that he wasn't aware had gotten that high, about 7 months behind in utilities because she was banking his money and not paying the bills, and then she began taking 70% of his income. So we constantly struggle, wonder what to do, and feel helpless. It's hard on me because it all comes down on my shoulders. I have to be the one to make money because she CAN'T take mine. But first, I have to find a way to, hence my racking up tons of school loans on top of the 40k I alrready ahve that I can't find a job with.

Sorry. I don't mean for that to sound like a pity party, because its not. I'm just explaining a different scenario where it isn't our fault and we can't find a way out. Meanwhile, his ex sits on her behind and lives a nice life on his money and her full-time nursing job, along with her boyfriends income AND state assistance because here in PA, child support isn't considered her income, it's considered OURS because it was his money first.. So we can't qualify for assistance, but she can.

THIS is the reason why women may look at you and feel as though your wealthy. All i want is to be "comfortable" I don't want luxuries, i want to pay my electric bill. So to me, I would call you wealthy, because you're house isn't in foreclosure and your car isn't being repossessed and you probably have enough food in your pantry to last a week. That was NOT a rude tone at all, I'm just describing from a different point of view that sometimes, with all the budgeting in the world, you can't make it, and that's why you look wealthy to others.
pinkbabydust
Star Member
Star Member

Postby J_blackrose » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:24 am

I totally feel for ya and your BF. I had a good friend who's ex was taking her husband to the cleaners. they hardly had anything left over at the end of the day.
Beta 1664 at 4w2d
Beta 3683 at 4w4d
heard the :hb: at 8w0d

december 15, 2009
7lbs 11oz 19 inchs long
J_blackrose
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby brtnysbelly » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:27 pm

I'm not a SAHM yet but I'm a SAHpregnant-lady? I have a very part-time job that doesn't make anything significant. I quit when I found out I was pregnant because I worked with kids and they kept me sick CONSTANTLY.

We're a young couple (22) so by mosts standards, DF and I should be in poverty. We aren't but we also are NOT wealthy. DF makes enough money for us to afford a 2 story townhouse, car insurance, and all of the utilities + food and some extras (baby stuff). I agree with most of the posters on here that it's really all about budgeting. A few things we do to save money: We live with one car. We live in a state with a lower than the national average cost of living. We rent instead of paying a mortgage (which CAN be more expensive, but not for us when you add in the HOA fees and the maintenance needed to keep up with a home). We grow our own veggies when the seasons come. I clip coupons every week and save lots of money when grocery shopping every week. We drink Brita filtered water so we don't waste money on drinks. We don't waste money on alcohol (well, DF will occasionally buy a 6 pack). We don't smoke cigarettes (HUGE expense). We don't go out to eat and we don't go to the movies. We don't drive unnecessary distances to save on gas. We don't take vacations. This was happening WAY before we even started TTC so the smart budgeting on our part makes for a happy savings account. -- We're going to have to get a second car before the baby comes but we're BUYING it and NOT making monthly payments, and we're making sure it's something that will come with a lower insurance rate and with good gas mileage. We still plan on living frugally once the baby comes. Breastfeeding for as long as possible will save us lots of money, as well as investing in cloth diapers (saves a lot on disposable ones, cloths pay for themselves after a couple of months). We plan on keeping our two bedroom townhouse until it's time for DF to enlist in the navy as an officer. No need to expand, we have 2 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms which is the perfect amount of space for us.

DF works and goes to school and we manage to make ends meet every month.
Me (23) :love: DH (22)
DS: Gunner (11/15/11)
EDD: 3/11/13 <3
Shh on FB!

ImageImage

brtnysbelly
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Emmo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:06 am

pinkbabydust wrote:I am going to be the minority here and say absolutely not. If I were to be honest, I would tell you we are considered poverty. Let me explain. My bf was married for 7 years. He adopted her oldest daughter and they had 2 more together. She decided it was time to sleep with everyone she saw and they divorced. At the time, he was making 30k a year which is very good for our area. When she left, she also took 70% of his income with her BEFORE taxes. So after that 70%, he gets all the taxes taken out, and comes home with a whopping 200-250 dollars every two weeks. Shortly after we got together, he got laid off. She is still taking the same amount of money because the courts refuse to lower it. A few months later, I got laid off. We live in an area where it's hard to get hired at McDonalds. So, we're both on unemployment, I go to school full-time now to TRY to make a better life, just couldn't think of a different way, he works what he can under the table, and we are not making it by any means. I bring in a while 500 a month. Our mortgage is a tiny amount of 300 a month, but that's a large chunk of what we're bring in. Add the 300 a month truck payment he has, gas, bills, food for us and our kids, and we are negative the same day our money goes in. We are trying everything we can but can't find a way out. While they were married, they lived comfortably. She was a SAHM. He worked. Bills were all paid (or so he thought) he could afford his truck, house, etc, and still have money for vacations here and there. Well, when she left, she left him with 11k in cc debt that he wasn't aware had gotten that high, about 7 months behind in utilities because she was banking his money and not paying the bills, and then she began taking 70% of his income. So we constantly struggle, wonder what to do, and feel helpless. It's hard on me because it all comes down on my shoulders. I have to be the one to make money because she CAN'T take mine. But first, I have to find a way to, hence my racking up tons of school loans on top of the 40k I alrready ahve that I can't find a job with.

Sorry. I don't mean for that to sound like a pity party, because its not. I'm just explaining a different scenario where it isn't our fault and we can't find a way out. Meanwhile, his ex sits on her behind and lives a nice life on his money and her full-time nursing job, along with her boyfriends income AND state assistance because here in PA, child support isn't considered her income, it's considered OURS because it was his money first.. So we can't qualify for assistance, but she can.

THIS is the reason why women may look at you and feel as though your wealthy. All i want is to be "comfortable" I don't want luxuries, i want to pay my electric bill. So to me, I would call you wealthy, because you're house isn't in foreclosure and your car isn't being repossessed and you probably have enough food in your pantry to last a week. That was NOT a rude tone at all, I'm just describing from a different point of view that sometimes, with all the budgeting in the world, you can't make it, and that's why you look wealthy to others.

Wow, that's awful. My best friend is actually on the other end of this, but her husband was the one who decided to sleep with everyone. He left her for her friend whom he was having an affair with, while my friend was 6 months pregnant and raising thier daughter and HIS son from a previous girfreind (turns out, the girl he left her for was also a month pregnant, wow) Anyway, it cracks us up b/c he's such an idiot- he took her to court recently b/c he said he wasn't making as much as they thought,and his child support should be lower. Well, he didnt show up to court and they looked at his income and said "Oh, he's right, he's not making what we thought. He making MORE. Thanks for correcting us" lol. Ah sweet revenge.
Anyway, I know thats totally off topic.

DH and I want to get an SUV so bad but my car works fine so trying to hang in there and save money, urg.
Me: 31
DH: 32
DS: 4 (Nov 2008 baby)
DD: 1 (Nov 2011 baby)

Image Image :cloth diapering:
Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mommyofgirls » Tue May 10, 2011 10:52 pm

Ha, we used to be weathly before the darn recession :mad: My Dh does make enough money for me to stay home and for our family to be comfortable. But no, I don't consider us weathly right now.
Michele: 32 Dh:31
:babyg: 3/16/1997
:babyg: 7/7/2006
:babyg: 1/3/2009
:angel: Angel:1/16/2008 via D&C @ 9.5weeks
BFP:August 10th 2010 9/3 :hb: 131 11/22 :hb: 146
:babyg: My LOVE: Ella is here! April 8th,2011 7lbs 5.8oz
mommyofgirls
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby shermy » Tue May 24, 2011 10:35 pm

We are having a really rough time making ends meet, but we still have corners to cut - like cell phone service, but it is rough.

HOWEVER - we have more than enough food in our bellies and our health.
Wesley Alder, 7/21/2010

http://www.finchfound.com

shermy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Previous

Return to Stay at Home Moms