Want to be a WAHM x-posted in August

Meet other moms who have chosen to stay at home

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Want to be a WAHM x-posted in August

Postby Coreena » Fri May 13, 2011 4:47 pm

So my current job is really bothering me. I work as a dog groomer at a small local store, it's just me and the bosses daughter that work there. The daughter is spossed to manage the store but has really bad habits of ignoring customers, not returning calls, etc. She is in charge of paying me and is horrible at it! Anyway, I make less then minimum wage and do all the cleaning at the store, including taking out the trash of the nursery where he kids spend all day, and cleaning the nursery.

I considered asking if I could take Carter to work with me but we work with dogs all day, with dog hair loose and flying everywhere. Her 10 month old son sleeps in the same room we groom in and she never washes his blankets. How could I provide my baby the attention and love he deserves while trying to manage the dogs, customers, phones, cleaning, etc?

So I was thinking today that I might watch a couple kids in our home after Carter is born. I would make the same amount of money and get to spend my days at home with my baby and taking care of the house and other kids. I know it's not easy to watch other people's kids but I can't be a SAHM, we need my income unless we were to go on government assistance and I don't feel right doing that. WWYD?
Coreena~25
Max~30
4.5 years of TTC/NTNP
DS1~Carter - 8/17/11
6lbs 14 oz of perfection
19 months TTC - 1st round of clomid (100mg) - BFP
DS2-Bennett - EDD 9-10-14
Coreena
Angel
Angel

Postby Emmo » Sat May 14, 2011 7:30 am

I'd stay home. Less than minimum wage? How can they even do that? Sounds like hard work conditions especially with a baby around. The daycare type thing would be much better. Do you have some friends who want you to watch their kids? That will be the hard part- finding kids.

I hope it works out for you!
Me: 31
DH: 32
DS: 4 (Nov 2008 baby)
DD: 1 (Nov 2011 baby)

Image Image :cloth diapering:
Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby lilbwitty02 » Mon May 23, 2011 6:01 am

I currently babysit 2 FT kids and 2 PT kids. My baby is due next month, and I am taking the summer off, but will have my kids return when school starts (Labor Day). I can't imagine having to work and leave my baby, or even having to go to work if I could take my baby. I love the convenience of being able to stay at home, I am able to do some housework (obviously depending on the kids' behavior/nap schedule/activities for the day), have dinner on the table when DH comes home, be able to sit on my couch and put my feet up for 5 minutes, and with a baby on the way, knowing he'll be in his own home and environment is a plus. I think babysitting a couple of kids at home is a great alternative to having to work outside of the home, as long as you don't need a large income (obviously if you're making minimum wage now, this is not an issue). There are a few sites I can recommend for advertising your desire to want to babysit. Cragislist is a great way to advertise, and often times people who are looking for a SAHM to babysit their child will post. Sittercity.com is another site you can advertise on and look up people looking for babysitters. It can be a little frustrating having to deal with parents who look at you as a babysitter for their convenience, so make sure you set up clear expectations when you agree to watch their child. For example, a set weekly pay even if they decide not to bring their child a day, expectations for scheduling (ie-I have a certain time for breakfast, lunch and naps...if you want your child to eat breakfast, they have to be here by this time, or feed them at home, don't bring your child between 12 and 2, that's naptime, etc). Setting clear expectations prevents you from getting used for 'drop in babysitting' when parent's schedules change. Just some thoughts from someone who has been doing this a long time!! Good luck to you, momma!!!
lilbwitty02
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Emmo » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:04 pm

You might try care.com. They screen their sitters/nannies so people will be more likely to trust you (as well as you trusting them 8O). We use it to find our sitters.
Me: 31
DH: 32
DS: 4 (Nov 2008 baby)
DD: 1 (Nov 2011 baby)

Image Image :cloth diapering:
Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Stay at Home Moms