One car??

Meet other moms who have chosen to stay at home

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

One car??

Postby MegsIsMommy » Sat May 21, 2011 4:32 pm

I'm just curious if any other SAHM get by on one car? What do you do to get out with LO???
Megs {29} DH {32}
MegsIsMommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby lilbwitty02 » Mon May 23, 2011 5:52 am

We only have one car. I currently stay at home and babysit 2 kids, but that will change to staying at home with my LO starting next month. I'm fortunate DH works pretty close by, so when scheduling allows, I drop him off at work so I can have the car to take the kiddos on field trips, then have to pick him up at night. I plan to continue this when LO arrives, so that we're not stuck home every day. We are lucky that we have a nice little park across the street. Also, my mom is retired (and only 52) so we'll be taking plenty of outings with grandma this summer. Does DH work close enough to home that taking him/picking him up is feesible, at least once a week so that you don't go stir crazy at home?
lilbwitty02
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babyvalentine » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:53 pm

I agree with lilbwitty02 we only have one car too but dh works close by so when its days that i can take him to work when he would get out early then i do that way i can take the little one somewhere. but one days where he closes i do not worry about it because i do not want to have to get up super late to pick him up. its doable without going crazy the little one and I do alot of outside activitys we chalk we bubble we garden we dance play in the pool lots of stuff to get a change of scene and some fresh air.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DD-2 12/22/08
BFP #2 on 5/20/11
Together since 2006
married on 4/30
~~tiffany~~
babyvalentine
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:05 am

We did one car for a little while. I drove him to work on the days I needed the car, and the rest of the time we went on walks and things during the day.

Honestly, the one car thing got pretty difficult (my husband is military and at that time he started work around 5am). We ended up getting him a 1986 Toyota Corolla. The car ran great, it was only $700, and insurance was practically nothing on it.
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby specialkel » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:46 am

How far away your DH works makes a big difference. We have two cars, but we might as well only have one. We have considered selling the one that gets terrible gas mileage, but we don't need the money for anything right now so we're hanging on to it. It's in the garage 90% of the time. DH only works 10 minutes away and I often take him to work and then go out and run errands with the more efficient car. We live about 25 minutes outside of civilization though, so DD and I typically only venture out to town 1-2x/week. It's hard for me to get out without spending any money (BAD browser/window shopper... I must buy! lol), and DD is too young for stuff like museums, etc, so we save a lot by staying close to home. We're fortunate in the sense that we live on a ton of land, so we have lots of outdoorsy stuff to do and never go stir-crazy.
Me: 30
DH: 36
DD1: 4/26/10
DD2: 12/10/11
DS: 11/8/14
specialkel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:22 am

We had one car the first 2 1/2 years of our marriage, but just recently bought a second car. I gotta say, I really like having the two cars! I lived out in the country (we moved, but we still live in the country, just not so far out) and it was hard to walk anywhere, because the main road was dangerous. I walked on our dirt road and in the woods a LOT. I have a can of pepper spray! :)

Other than that, my MIL came and picked me up occasionally to go shopping, and I made friends with the neighbors and walked with them 3 times a week.
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Stay at Home Moms