Stay at home mom- is it what you thought I'd be?

Meet other moms who have chosen to stay at home

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Is being a stay-at-home mom what you thought it would be?

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes : 24

Stay at home mom- is it what you thought I'd be?

Postby ete29 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:15 am

I'm just curious and thought I'd ask :)
DS Dec'08
DD Jul'10 dx w/high risk neuroblastoma June '11-became an angel oct '12
Early M/C July '13
DD Jan'15
My Blog
ete29
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby monkeysauce » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:00 am

So far, yep. Our household is running much more smoothly now that there's someone taking care of it and not also working a full-time job. The house gets cleaned more often, chores and errands are more likely to get done, all of that.

My daughter is only 2.5 months old, so she's too young for the fun stuff I'm really looking forward to--the water park, the zoo, arts and crafts, heck even a kiddie pool and popsicles on hot summer days like today. But all that will come.

I don't miss my job one bit. To me, going to the office every day was a terrible thing.
Amelia Bel born 3/16/2011
monkeysauce
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby january » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:10 am

Yep, pretty much. Lots of activities with DD (park, zoo, library, etc.), lots of errand-running, and lots of meal-making. I've turned into a crafter like my mom did when she became a SAHM. And we've had to do some major budgeting and make sacrifices for me to be able to SAHM. It's all pretty much what I figured it would be.

The only difference is that I didn't think it would be so hard to keep up with the housework since I stay at home all day. But it is! DD is still terrified of the vacuum and she won't leave me alone long enough to thoroughly or efficiently clean anything else.
Heather - 32
DH - 33
Violet - 12/31/08 (born on her EDD -- 6lb 13oz)
Eleanor & Cecilia - 6/26/12 (born 39 weeks 2 days -- 6lb 8oz & 7lb 10oz)

january
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ~FairyMama~ » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:31 am

Yup! I'm lovin it.
DS: 10/2008
TTC #2 since 10/2009
Early Loss: 8/2011
BFP: 11/2014!!
~FairyMama~
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Autumn2000 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:52 pm

The SAHM thing isn't much different than I'd expected but having 2 little ones only 18 months apart is at least 20 times more difficult than I thought it would be! Not sure why I keep entertaining the thought of a 3rd when I barely managed to get through one year with two.
Autumn (34), Jeff (34), Jack (October 30, 2008) and Elizabeth (April 27, 2010)

Image Image Image

Autumn2000
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby erica_h07 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:06 pm

No. I never thought I would be a SAHM but I was so miserable at my job that DH and I decided I could quit and stay home with the kids!

I always wanted to be SAHM but I felt obligated to keep working because of my student loans. DH and I figured out that he could take care of everything. I've only been doing this a couple of months but the first week after I quit my job it was pretty bad. I felt like I couldn't control DD's temper tantrums and she was having a potty training regression. A couple times I wondered if I made the right choice. I guess I originally thought it would be a lot easier than it is.

I've already gotten used to it and I'm positive I made the right decision. Things improved dramatically with me & DD, she's back on track with her potty training and best of all is that I get to be with my children all the time :)
Erica: 28 | DH: 28 | DD: 4 | DS: 2

Natural m/c at 8w - 12/2012

erica_h07
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ete29 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:17 am

Monkeysauce: This is the golden time! or one of them :wink: Looking back, I wish I had become a SAHM when DS was that age. I tried to stick it out and work, but eventually quit because DS didn't sleep and I was worn out.

The only difference is that I didn't think it would be so hard to keep up with the housework since I stay at home all day. But it is! DD is still terrified of the vacuum and she won't leave me alone long enough to thoroughly or efficiently clean anything else.

I have such a hard time keeping up. We moved just a few weeks before DD was born and there is just something about this house. We live in the woods and there is dirt and dust everywhere, all the time :roll:

I used to have very high standards about cleanliness and clutter but that has all gone out the window. If I clean too much, I feel guilty about boring the babies.

Not sure why I keep entertaining the thought of a 3rd when I barely managed to get through one year with two.

:lol: I do this same thing! DH and I go back and fourth with the idea. Mostly we think we've lost our minds.

Erica- I never really thought I'd be a full time, SAHM. I had a really hard time adjusting to it, and would periodically go back to work part-time. Now it's official, I am not working, but am taking a class and studying.
DS Dec'08
DD Jul'10 dx w/high risk neuroblastoma June '11-became an angel oct '12
Early M/C July '13
DD Jan'15
My Blog
ete29
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby VAmommy » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:32 am

Yes being a SAHM is what I expected it to be but I am quickly learning that after having #2 the job changes. I am still in a readjustment phase in our house trying to juggle DS, DD, cooking and cleaning. I am so thankful I am able to stay home but it is a tough job :D
Me-30
Dh-32

VAmommy
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Emmo » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:28 pm

Yes. Although maybe a little harder than I thought at times. But just as fun and rewarding!
Me: 31
DH: 32
DS: 4 (Nov 2008 baby)
DD: 1 (Nov 2011 baby)

Image Image :cloth diapering:
Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby shermy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:40 pm

It is what I expected, I just expected to be better at it!

Taking care of the baby is a breeze, it is all that other stuff that I suck at.
Wesley Alder, 7/21/2010

http://www.finchfound.com

shermy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:09 am

VAmommy wrote:Yes being a SAHM is what I expected it to be but I am quickly learning that after having #2 the job changes. I am still in a readjustment phase in our house trying to juggle DS, DD, cooking and cleaning. I am so thankful I am able to stay home but it is a tough job :D

I agree!! With one, life seemed so peaceful and easygoing, it was easy to maintain a schedule, to get some "me" time. With two, the game completely changes! They have a knack for always needing me at the same time (example: DD started SCREAMING for no apparent reason and 30 seconds later my son walked in with his head stuck in a chair :lol: ). Someone told me a loooong time ago (before I had any kids) that going from one kid to two was like adding three more kids. I thought he was nuts, but I get it now!
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Emmo » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:23 am

stefanielynn wrote:
VAmommy wrote:Yes being a SAHM is what I expected it to be but I am quickly learning that after having #2 the job changes. I am still in a readjustment phase in our house trying to juggle DS, DD, cooking and cleaning. I am so thankful I am able to stay home but it is a tough job :D

I agree!! With one, life seemed so peaceful and easygoing, it was easy to maintain a schedule, to get some "me" time. With two, the game completely changes! They have a knack for always needing me at the same time (example: DD started SCREAMING for no apparent reason and 30 seconds later my son walked in with his head stuck in a chair :lol: ). Someone told me a loooong time ago (before I had any kids) that going from one kid to two was like adding three more kids. I thought he was nuts, but I get it now!

Oh geeze great :?

Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:27 am

Emmo wrote:
stefanielynn wrote:

Oh geeze great :?

Aww, it's more hectic but it's also more fun. :wink:
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby specialkel » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:46 am

Yes, mostly! I sincerely love every minute. The only big surprise has been how hard it is to keep my house clean. I never thought about it before, but it is actually 10 times harder to keep a clean house when people are actually LIVING THERE all day! :lol: Everything we do creates a mess or some sort of disorder, so just keeping the house tidy (not spotless clean) is hard enough!
DH: 36
DD1: 4/26/10
DD2: 12/10/11
DS: 11/8/14
specialkel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Emmo » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:38 pm

specialkel wrote:Yes, mostly! I sincerely love every minute. The only big surprise has been how hard it is to keep my house clean. I never thought about it before, but it is actually 10 times harder to keep a clean house when people are actually LIVING THERE all day! :lol: Everything we do creates a mess or some sort of disorder, so just keeping the house tidy (not spotless clean) is hard enough!

I know, and it's hard to really explain this to people. It's such a full time (over time) job.

Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Stay at Home Moms