Heading back to work in 2 weeks

Meet other moms who have chosen to stay at home

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Heading back to work in 2 weeks

Postby Autumn2000 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:02 am

My 16 month SAHM gig is almost over with. I'll be teaching 1/2 days for the upcoming school year. DH is also working part time which is hopefully going to mean that we both have a really great work-life balance. We'll see if the reality is as good as I'm dreaming it up to be.

I'm so happy that I had these last 16 months with my little ones, but I'm also looking forward to getting back into the classroom. There is a very good chance that I will take the following year off so I'll get to be a SAHM from June 2012-August 2013.

SAHMing is BY FAR the hardest job I've ever done! Having my two LOs so close in age keeps me on my toes. I feel a bit guilty, but the idea of teaching chemistry to a classroom full of teenagers is a welcomed break from SAHMing! I'm sure there will be many comments when I return about my year "off" and my "vacation" time from very clueless people.

I'm going to keep reading and posting here because I really appreciate all of the cooking and cleaning topics in this section!
Autumn (34), Jeff (34), Jack (October 30, 2008) and Elizabeth (April 27, 2010)

Image Image Image

Autumn2000
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Emmo » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:19 am

Congrats. Half time still means you are half SAHM, so don't leave us...

I admit, I really miss the beginning of the school year, holidays at school, and teacher appreciation week (lol). I hope it's a good year for you!
Me: 31
DH: 32
DS: 4 (Nov 2008 baby)
DD: 1 (Nov 2011 baby)

Image Image :cloth diapering:
Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Emmo » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:41 pm

Hows it going Autumn?

Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:21 am

Oh wow--I missed this thread. I'm sorry! Yes, how is it going??
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Autumn2000 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:08 pm

Thanks for asking ladies! Everything is going really well. I think that it's a near perfect situation for our family. Of course I could bitch for hours about my boss (HORRIBLE) but luckily I can avoid her most days. I also know that a big reason that this schedule is so great is because DH is also working part time with all of his work being done at home so he's home all the time and is great about getting the laundry done and keeping on top of the kitchen mess.

School's been in session for 8 weeks and we've all settled into the new routine and are loving it! I teach every day from 8:30-12:15. DH is with the kids M, W and F. On Tues and Thurs. our nanny comes from 8:30-4 so DH can do his work. On those days I either stay at work and get grading and lesson planning done or I run errands, grocery shop, go to doctor appointments, etc. I'm also tutoring one evening a night which is quick and easy money. On Thursday evenings all 4 of us go to swim lessons together. Lots of fun!

I feel like we are unbelievably blessed to have the chance to have a year that's so relaxed. I really feel like neither of us are stressed over work and house stuff because we've got enough time to do it all and still enjoy time with the kids. We do fun family stuff many of the M, W or F afternoons at places that are always really crowded on the weekends.

Oh, and our nanny is amazing!! She used to be my son's daycare teacher and she is now a part time student (studying elementary ed) so the part time nanny job works really well for her. She's teaching my little ones all sorts of great things and does such fun projects and activities with them, including walking them to the library every Tuesday morning for story time.

I have to decide by January 15th what I'm going to do next school year. I'm really struggling. I might take the year off or I might just teach 1 or 2 classes. This year I'm teaching 2. DH will be back full time, but there's a chance he could work from home which would make our lives less stressful. Money is a pretty tight though so we might want me to bring in at least a little bit to keep from feeling stressed about bills.
Autumn (34), Jeff (34), Jack (October 30, 2008) and Elizabeth (April 27, 2010)

Image Image Image

Autumn2000
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Emmo » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:22 pm

Wow that sounds awesome!

Here down the road, I'd love to have a part time job with hours like that. I think I might be able to pull it off since I my job is also in the schools (school psychologist). But not for another few years, since we've got #2 on the way. Sounds like you guys really have a good thing going.

My husband works from home most of the week and it is really nice- but it also gets kinda annoying b/c I'm at home, too. So, we do have our days where we are tired of each other. But it's not so bad, since he's really in his office most of the time when he is at home working.

Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Stay at Home Moms