Typical :)

Meet other moms who have chosen to stay at home

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Typical :)

Postby stefanielynn » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:42 am

Today is my son's first day of homeschooling, and I was really looking forward to having our little breakfast just the two of us. My daughter usually sleeps until 8:30/9 so I thought we'd have a little time to spend together (he gets up around 8). But, of course, DD has been up since around 6:30 today and is not wanting to go back to sleep (she is in a very sweet mood at least). So she will be joining us and her nap will be earlier than usual which is going to throw off our entire schedule for the day.

Oh well. It's probably best to know from the beginning that each day is NOT going to go how I had hoped/planned! :)
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:43 am

It actually turned out to be for the best that she woke--who knew! She went down for nap right before we started our schooling and slept through the entire thing (still sleeping now!). We were able to get our work done with no interruptions--yay!
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Emmo » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:11 pm

That's cool.
Just curious- what made you get into homeschooling? I don't know much about it.

Let us know how it goes!
Me: 31
DH: 32
DS: 4 (Nov 2008 baby)
DD: 1 (Nov 2011 baby)

Image Image :cloth diapering:
Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ~FairyMama~ » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:29 pm

I have kicked around the idea of homeschooling myself. I have gotten nothing but negative responses from everyone I have told though, ugh. We have a friend who home schools her children, she'll be teaching 4 this year I believe. I'd love to hear why you decided to do it as well and how you end up liking it.

I personally had more negative experiences than good in public school and feel that there is so much filler and fluff. I know some parents can't Wait to get their kids out of the house but I am just not like that and would love to always have them home with me, yet get involved in community activities so they still have a social life.
DS: 10/2008
TTC #2 since 10/2009
Early Loss: 8/2011
BFP: 11/2014!!
~FairyMama~
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby sohopeful » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:04 am

Well, sometimes things work out for the best! But it's good to get used to the idea that everyday will be a different experience!
sohopeful
Friend

Postby stefanielynn » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:12 am

This week was certainly a learning experience, but we are getting there!

I decided to homeschool this year for a few reasons. The big one being that my son just turned 5 a couple of weeks ago. I feel he is much too young to be in school for 7+ hours a day (no half day kinder here). He was in preschool a couple of days a week last year and loved it but, because he IS 5, preschools were not agreeing to take him. The ones that would were too expensive for us.

NOT schooling at all wasn't an option and 35 hours a week at school also wasn't an option, so homeschooling was really our best choice. I don't know if we'll continue beyond this year or not, we'll see how it goes. I am concerned that I have a friend who taught in the public schools here and now homeschools her children. If someone who knows the inner workings of our district won't put her kids in it, it's a bit of a red flag for me!

Amber, negative responses are common. I get them, too, but I don't care. I know what we are doing is the best for us, and I leave it at that. The big thing people worry about is socialization, but I've found that is a bunch of crap, really. My son get TONS of socialization every week through church, the park, the library, going to friends' houses. I don't think he is missing out on that compared to a child in public school who isn't supposed to be talking anyway!

I'm putting info on my blog as I do it. I think this is the first time I've shared my blog info, so you will see it's a quiet little place (and I just started this one). It's noblemommy.blogspot.com It's probably easier for you to read my thoughts there since I am long winded and could go on forever. :)
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ~FairyMama~ » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:19 am

Well cool, I will be sure to check out your blog. Riley is an Oct baby so he could not start school until the following year than the other kids, so I was thinking about that year doing homeschooling to kind of try it out and see if it is a good fit for us.
DS: 10/2008
TTC #2 since 10/2009
Early Loss: 8/2011
BFP: 11/2014!!
~FairyMama~
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Emmo » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:33 am

Wyatt is a Nov birthday so he will be on the older side, AND we have half day K here, so I'm not too worried about that. Plus, with our second on the way it might be a good thing to have him at school a bit.. of course he's still only 2 now so I have a couple of years.

If we had all day preK or K, I would definitely consider it. It just seems too drastic to me.
Me: 31
DH: 32
DS: 4 (Nov 2008 baby)
DD: 1 (Nov 2011 baby)

Image Image :cloth diapering:
Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby dee12h » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:16 pm

That's really cool. I'd like to follow your blog. I want to hs as well but not sure dh is on board. I think he will at least be ok with pre k & k. IA with all of your reasons as well.
"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" -Frederick Douglass
DS1- 4YO
DS2- 1YO
dee12h
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Stay at Home Moms