Does anyone run a daycare out of their home?

Meet other moms who have chosen to stay at home

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Does anyone run a daycare out of their home?

Postby fortune313 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:01 pm

My husband and I are starting to consider making me a SAHM. For one big reason, I HATE my job, it isn't necessarily the job, it's my coworkers (I'm a 911 operator), and it's pretty much like high school except it's a much smaller group. Another thing is I'm back in school for my nursing degree and would love to pick the pace up to full time again, but with family/work that just isn't possible.

Were trying to add to our family and make another baby, right now my son goes to grandparents while we work but I know they would not do this if there were two babies to look after - and I completely understand because they are older and all but one of them have health issues so kids can be challenging.

So DH and I are were talking about refinishing the basement and setting it up like a daycare (tables/chairs, mats, books, toys, etc, I intend to have a "learning" curriculum so that the kids won't just be running loose all the time. There will definitely be a routine!) I thought I'd take on about 3-4 other children to help make up for my loss of a paycheck.

Does anyone else do this? Anyone not recommend it? Or have any better suggestions? If you do have this how much do you charge? How do you find clients? What is the biggest challenge of taking on a daycare?
Me (26) DH (28)

We're so blessed!!
# 1 EDD 02.11.10
-01/08/10- diagnosed with preeclampsia, induced 5 weeks early

Logan was born 01/09/10!!!
5.74lbs 17.5 inches

Currently TTC #2 (07/2011)

Dx: PCOS

Clomid 50mg -BFP - 09/13/12 (incomplete miscarriage @ 5w3d)
10/01/12 confirmed ectopic pregnancy

Still praying for a miracle # 2
fortune313
Angel
Angel

Postby Emmo » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:06 am

I've never done it, but I know someone who watches 3-5 kids while she's at home during the day. She just treats them like they are her own.. takes them to the park, runs errands, nap times, lunch, etc. I'm not sure if she does any kind of curriculum but I'm sure that would be a plus!

I'd probably try to start out with a couple of kids and no big commitment. Spread the word around to friends and family- FB, etc.
See how well it works with just a couple kids for a while. I hope you can figure it out! :luck:
Me: 31
DH: 32
DS: 4 (Nov 2008 baby)
DD: 1 (Nov 2011 baby)

Image Image :cloth diapering:
Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby tkmeawynow » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:11 am

I run one and have for 12 yrs. here are some things to consider/ think about

1- are you gonna get licensed? If not max kids you can watch is 4
2- what will you do when you or your kid is sick?
3- do you have a dr that has later hours or someone else who can take your child to the dr for you or stay with the daycare kids
4- I dont recommend taking the kids anywhere it is a huge liability and most parents dont like that
5- will you claim it? remember if you do that taxes are about 20% of what you make and you will owe this at the end of the year possibly
6- keep all receipts and mileage for trips to store etc
7- remember there will be wear and tear on your house
8- how will you deal with parents who take advantage of you? ex drop of earlier than should or pick up late or send kids sick
9- what will you provide? I do 2 meals and 2 snacks when they are on table food I do not provide baby food diapers or wipes.
10- just rememeber even though you will be home you do not have freedom lol
Thats all I can think of right now if you have any questions feel free to pm me.
1st Grandbaby due Sept. 23, 2012!!
JAYDIAN-17,LEGACEY-15
GABY-12,BRADEN-4
Grayson- 1
ANGEL BABY AT 10WEEKS 3-10
tkmeawynow
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Stay at Home Moms