Its official... I'm now a SAHM :) (story about me)

Meet other moms who have chosen to stay at home

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Its official... I'm now a SAHM :) (story about me)

Postby TTCin2010 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:41 am

I've worked my entire life... from 15.5 until I left on maternity back in May.

A little about me: My plan (even before dh) was to be a SAHM, both of my parents worked and I was always with babysitters or friends. Not that I minded too much, I think it helped me develop a sense of responsibility... but anyway, I wanted more for my kids. So when DH and I got married and had the baby talk I expressed my want to stay home... he was not really on board. We've been a dual income couple for the past 7 years and adding a baby was going to make it harder on us... I didn't push the issue instead I said we'll just see how thing go. When we started trying to get preggo I was hoping and wishing for twins. I knew that if we had two babies that daycare would be too $$ and that I'd have to stay home. Twins do not run in my family at all, it was honestly a long shot.

Well..11.22.10 I took a HPT and it was + I was SUPER excited! I'd had a dream that I was preggo with twins and I also had a feeling that I could be preggo with twins. I thought it was just how much I wanted them and thats why I was feeling that way.... well NOPE on 12.23.10 we went for our first ultrasound and TA-DA TWINS! My husband was seriously floored, I laughed and cried at the same time. It was great.

We had the SAHM conversation again, we were still on opposing sides. Again I said we'll just wait and see... I honestly knew that once our little ones were here there was NO WAY he'd want anyone else to care for them day after day. (not that there's anything wrong with daycare)

Since I was having twins I knew I'd be put out of work earlier than others and I started working that angle with my Dr. ASAP. I was over working and being preggo. During this time I came up with a budget and determined that I didn't need to work, well I didn't need to work and make as much as I was. I needed to find a way to work from home and make a little just to help out. I showed it to my dh and he said that if I could find a job from home then great, I could stay home and work. I had a new mission!

My career has mostly been in mortgages & loans, etc. Not exactly a great market to be in. Anyway I started a sales position right before I got pg with a partner. I was the jr partner and was on a 2yr plan to learn the sales ropes and then go it alone... Well I was signed out of work in May and told my boss and partner that I'd be out until Oct. My partner quit working for our company in September. At this point my dh was on the same page as I as about me becoming a SAHM (with the intent to find a small job from home)... with my partner quitting I knew that I'd have no job to return to and sure enough I will be laid off Dec 1st. So I'll be able to get unemployment for a little bit while I find a small job to do from home!

I LOVE being a SAHM, Its only been official for a week now but its the best. I spend all day with my babies and when they nap I feel so productive! I dont get to clean as much as I'd like to but its getting better, I dont mind doing the laundry, cooking dinner, making my dh lunch... its what I've been calling domestic bliss. :D

Best of all my husband has been telling me how much he LOVES that I'm a SAHM. He says that he feels so much better because he doesn't worry about our babies and he gets to come home and see me everyday.

Sorry its so long... as I'm sure you all know its nice to "talk" to adults
Me:Lauree: 29 DH: Joe: 32

DS:Aidan: 7.20.11
DD:Audree: 7.20.11

My Blog

TTCin2010
Star Member
Star Member

Postby BeccaM » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:50 pm

Aww, loved your story, and your babies are adorable! You make me want another one :D. Congratulations on getting to be a SAHM! It does have it's challenges. It got harder (at least for me) once the little one was more mobile and I am now in the phase of trying to keep him busy while keeping him out of trouble... but I don't mean to discourage you in any way. I love it and would never do anything else!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:49 am

Gorgeous babies! I agree-I love being a SAHM. It's definitely challenging, but I know I will never look back at this time with regret. Enjoy every second; they grow so fast!
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby TTCin2010 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:37 pm

thanks! I'm looking forward to chasing after them once they are mobile. A great friend lives really close to us and she is a SAHM too... her daughter is only 2 weeks younger than my twins.

We shared our whole pregnancy and now we get to be moms together too! I can't wait!!! :)

Disneyland, zoos, parks fairs... HERE WE COME!!

Plus I love to cook and bake so I'm happy to share my recipes with yall :)

My Blog

TTCin2010
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Emmo » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:02 pm

CONGRATULATIONS!!

My DH was similar. He wasn't on the complete opposing end, but he was very worried about money. Ever since I started staying home, though, he started telling me that he loves me being at home b/c it is actually so much less stressful.. for all of us. As long as I keep up with my housewife-ly duties (which can get really boring sometimes!) Life is so much happier and stress free.
Me: 31
DH: 32
DS: 4 (Nov 2008 baby)
DD: 1 (Nov 2011 baby)

Image Image :cloth diapering:
Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Emmo » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:04 pm

By the way- since you mentioned recipes... this site was a little more busy about a year or so ago and we would post weekly menu plans and to do lists. If anyone ever wants to get back into it, it was a good way to keep up and get ideas.

Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:03 am

I'd love to get this SAHM section going again! I am always looking for meal ideas. Now that we are on a tighter budget, I am trying to save money, and do faster meals occasionally, with all the other things going on.... Bring on the ideas!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby TTCin2010 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:44 am

HMMM now the pressure is on I guess! hahaha jk

Its been getting pretty darn cold this past week so I've made chili and chicken tortilla soup.. both in the crock pot and honestly those meals are great because I make big batches and we usually have them for a left overs two days later..

I can share those recipes both are really really easy...

Chili
1 lb of meat (we ALWAYS cook with ground turkey, but any meat will do)
1 white onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp veg oil
2 cans white beans, rinsed and drained
2 cans black beans (I used spicy black beans), drained
3 tomatoes
Salt & pepper
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp Chili powder
Chili powder
1 chipotle (I used one from a can)
1 can of corn, drained
1 small can of tomato sauce

In a saucepan heat the oil and cook together the meat, onion, garlic and spices.

Put all canned goods and diced fresh tomatoes in the crock pot and add cooked meat with onions. Let simmer all day.

I served this with cornbread, topped with cheese! Its a very chunky chili but good! Enjoy

Chicken tortilla soup
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
1 cup water
1 can white or yellow corn
1 small can green chile peppers
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 boneless chicken breast halves

Cook the oil, chicken, onion and spices on the stove. All the rest of the ingredients go into the crock pot. Once the chicken is cooked chop into bite sized pieces and add to crock pot. Simmer all day!

Top with crushed tortilla chips, sliced avocado and shredded cheese

Enjoy!

My Blog

TTCin2010
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Emmo » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:31 pm

Yum , thanks! I always use ground turkey, too!

Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Stay at Home Moms