Recipes?

Meet other moms who have chosen to stay at home

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Recipes?

Postby Emmo » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:31 pm

OK, that post TTCin2010 made got me thinking about recipes... Anyone want to share easy cheap recipes?

I am about to pop, so I am trying to get a few meals frozen before baby arrives. Anyone have any good/easy freezable meals to share?
Me: 31
DH: 32
DS: 4 (Nov 2008 baby)
DD: 1 (Nov 2011 baby)

Image Image :cloth diapering:
Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby tellmewy » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:50 pm

My mother has been making me chicken divan for my freezer and I made a batch and had it fresh the other day. It is SO good and satisfying both reheated from frozen and fresh. I usually thaw it overnight then cook, otherwise it takes 1-1.5 hrs I think (I just keep checking it til it's bubbly).

Chicken Divan:

2 10oz packages frozen broccoli (or I use fresh - enough to cover bottom of casserole dish)
2 c. diced cooked chicken (3 breasts - can cook anyway you like)
2 cans of cream of chicken soup
3/4 c. mayonnaise
1 t. lemon juice
2 oz. sharp cheddar shredded, or more as desired
1 c. bread crumbs
1 T. butter, melted

Cook broccoli but don't overcook, drain. Arrange in casserole dish.
Layer chicken atop.
Combine soup, mayo and lemon juice and pour over chicken.
Sprinkle with cheese.
Combine crumbs and butter and sprinkle over all.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.

Someone on our DDC shared this recipe for creamy ham and potato soup and I made it and it was fantastic! I used a lot more ham, carrots, and celery and added about a cup of shredded cheddar to mine.

http://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/2010/10/ham-and-potato-soup.html

And this isn't really a "meal" per se but these homemade granola bars are amazing. I have made it 5 times in the past 2 weeks varying the ingredients! I don't use honey b/c my pollen allergies are out of control and it makes me itchy. I substitute either corn syrup or half the amount of molasses and that works!
[url]
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/playgroup- ... etail.aspx[/url]
Me (Lynn) 29, DH 29 - Married 5 years
DS 11/2011 unplanned csec
DD 1/2014 med free VBAC
EDD #3: 11-5-15

tellmewy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby TTCin2010 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:26 pm

I made a batch of enchiladas and lasagna right before I was going to have the twins... I have to say that the enchiladas I made were too spicy for me to eat after the fact and I made to big of platters.

I recommend making two small dishes instead of one large one. We didn't finish either of them because we got sick of eating the same thing over and over again.

My Lasagna Recipe
1/2 package of sweet Italian turkey sausage
1 package lean ground turkey
1 minced onion
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
2 (6.5 ounce) cans canned tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
Salt & pepper
4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
12 lasagna noodles
16 ounces ricotta cheese
3/4 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

On the stove top, cook sausage, ground turkey, onion, and garlic over medium heat until well browned. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water. Season with basil, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water.

Layer the meat sauce, noodles, and cheeses. Let cool completely.. then I covered with plastic wrap and then covered with the fitting pyrex dish cover/lid and placed in freezer.

When we were ready to eat it went straight from the freezer to the oven, it baked until the cheese on top was bubbly and slightly browned.

I took the lid and plastic wrap off before putting in the oven... Enjoy!

Good Luck and Congrats on your new addition Emmo!
Me:Lauree: 29 DH: Joe: 32

DS:Aidan: 7.20.11
DD:Audree: 7.20.11

My Blog

TTCin2010
Star Member
Star Member

Postby BeccaM » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:33 pm

Love me some good soup in the fall and winter! I just made this soup tonight, and it's super easy to make extra and freeze. (You HAVE to use the real whole chicken with skin on, or it's no good :wink:)

Cream of Chicken and Corn Soup (makes lots)

1 Whole chicken
1/2 cup butter
1 cup flour
6 cups chicken broth
4 cups milk
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 bag corn

Cover a whole chicken in a large pot with water and boil a couple of hours until done.

Strain out broth and set aside.

Melt 1/2 cup butter in the pot. Add the cup of flour. Whisk together for one minute. Add warm broth gradually (use broth from boiled chicken). Add milk. Stirring often, bring to a boil and simmer for a minute or two, until pretty thick. Add salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, remove about 4 - 5 cups of meat from the bones of the chicken and shred.

Add chicken and corn to soup and warm through.

You can also do this in a crock pot and keep it on low all afternoon.
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MegsIsMommy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:19 pm

Cheesy Cheesy Crockpot Chicken

4 Chicken breasts
2 cans cream of chix soup
1-2 cans depending on cheesyness cheddar cheese soup

Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4.

Serve with rice or egg noodles. :-)

*Not the healthiest but it's good comfort food.
Megs {29} DH {32}
MegsIsMommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Recipes?

Postby mgresham21 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:06 am

This is like a mexican crock pot chicken....you can serve it with spanish rice and corn or use it to make quesadillas....

1 package of boneless skinless chicken
1 package of taco seasoning
1 jar of salsa

add all ingredients and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours then shred the chicken....yumm!!
Marie-26
Justin-26
Dd1-3
Dd2-2

Expecting#3!!!!

mgresham21
Angel
Angel

Return to Stay at Home Moms