Was it a hard decision?

Meet other moms who have chosen to stay at home

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Was it a hard decision?

Postby bazil323 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:37 am

Hi ladies! I'm expecting our first in November, and while I would love to be a full-time SAHM, we just can't do without the insurance my job provides and the loss of both incomes. However, I would like to go to parttime, 2-3 days a week but am having a hard time deciding what to do. I have a long way to go yet (only 6-1/2 weeks along), but I work in 2 departments for the same company. I love one job because I can work from home, but there has been a lot of down-time for us with the economy slowing (people just don't come to the ER or get elective surgeries, so I have nothing to type!!). Meanwhile, the other department has done nothing but grow. If anything, I think they would like to offer more hours but can't fit it into the budget yet. This one I have to do "in house", so I need the second wardrobe of business casual and all that. I know either department would be sad to lose me because I always get great reviews & do a bit of everything so can plug holes when people are out sick, etc. If I even sound like I might be considering leaving, my bosses get a bit of a panicked look in their eyes, lol. Makes ya feel good but also will be a huge decision for me to leave one or the other.

Besides that, I'm worried about the loss of about half of my income. We don't have a lot of bills and can definitely simplify our lives and make it work, but I remember how hard it was when we were first starting out and couldn't make ends meet. I fear the change, and I wonder if you on the other side have any advice on how to figure out if it is going to work or if I just need to take the plunge?

Now that the pregancy has happened and is going well, I think I'm just panicking a bit. Like it's really real now and I will have to choose something.
Recently had our first child and have been married since October 6, 2006. I'm 27 and DH 29.

First pregnancy chemical, January 31, 2013.

Got our BFP on March 6, 2013. EDC November 11. Born November 11, 2013!
bazil323
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Was it a hard decision?

Postby mgresham21 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:53 am

Was not hard at all for me and has been well worth whatever sacrifice.

You need to crunch the numbers....would it be worth continuing to work if you're having to buy work attire, gas to get to work, lunches at work if you dont take ur own, and the biggie is childcare. Depending on where you live you can expect that to be a huge chunk.

Do something like 31 to supplment your income if even just to pay for insurance if you need to.

I've made 600 in my first month and i work when i want and don't when i don't feel like it.
Marie-26
Justin-26
Dd1-3
Dd2-2

Expecting#3!!!!

mgresham21
Angel
Angel

Re: Was it a hard decision?

Postby stefanielynn » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:48 am

It wasn't hard for me, we had always planned on me staying home while our kids were little, but I also wasn't coming from a real career, just working at various places on the Air Force base. I agree that you need to run the numbers, and see where you're willing to make cuts. There are positives to staying home, or cutting hours, financially. We don't eat out often because I have time to meal plan and cook. I'm not eating lunch at work, so we save there. My wardrobe consists of jeans and t-shirts, and I do lots of shopping at places like Ross and am also a big fan of clearance racks. My oldest is 6.5 and we've honestly bought very little clothing for either child...our families go crazy shopping for them, which is a huge help for us! And, of course, the biggest cost saver is no day care. I breastfeed and cloth diaper as well as do baby led weaning, so that all keeps money in our pockets. We don't take elaborate vacations, don't get to go home nearly as much as we'd like, and we are about to cut cable to add some more cash to help with this next baby, so it's not all roses.

And there are also benefits that aren't financial. I love that I don't miss anything. I've been here for every word, step, tantrum. I am able to take my oldest to and from school, I can attend every sports practice and game, I can volunteer in town and with my church. Of course, there are days when I want to find a hotel and just hide and sleep for a day. Or twelve. Staying home isn't easy, but I really do love it.

You have lots of time, and you might make a decision one way and then realize it wasn't the right decision for you, and that's okay. It will all work out. :)
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Stay at Home Moms