Early walker or early talker?

Sleepless nights. Breastfeeding vs Bottle. Baby's first milestones. Vaccinations. Teething. Crawling.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Did your LO walk or talk early?

Walked early, not many words
56%
Talked early, but still not walking
19%
Both walked and talked equally
13%
Other
13%

Total votes : 16

Early walker or early talker?

Postby Luv2Skydive » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:03 pm

All my sons have walked early: 7m3w, 8m3w, 8m3w, respectively. However, they weren't much for talking before a year. So I just kind of wonder if other babies are one or the other...early walkers or early talkers?

(my latest LO is 9.5 months and gets up off the floor without support and walks, but only says mama and dada and grunts A LOT!!!)
Luv2Skydive
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:41 am

M didn't really walk early or late, she started cruising at 6 months, and pushing her walkers around at 11 months, and was walking on her own at 13 months. Compared to her twin friends, who were walking at 9 months, she was a late walker.

But she's a GREAT talker :rofl: She's always been much more vocal than her friends, and knows many more words, even sentences, and understands my speech. Even our pedi said he's surprised at how early she started understanding and reciprocating speech. She also started signing at 11 months.
Certified Lactation Educator and Breastfeeding Counselor
Mum to M, nursling 3-7-07 - 11-7-08 :hb: and Leo 4-13-09
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby missnita » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:58 am

DS is only 7 months old, but I think he'll be an early talker & late walker. He rolled right on time, but he's just now sitting up at 7 months. He lays on his tummy & puts his arms & legs out like he wants to get somewhere, but can't make it happen. He is starting to get up on his knees a bit though. However, he says "mamamamama" & "dadadadada" a lot & makes lots of sounds that even show inflection, like he's mad or sad etc.
ME - Anita: 31
DH - Patrick: 32
DS1 - Oliver: 2
DS2 - Eli: Born 10/22/10

Image Image
missnita
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mama*ashleigh » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:23 pm

Riley walked at 9 months, and had amazing speech. He talked a ton, very early.

Wyatt walked at 10 months, but has been slower with speech. He's just now saying more than mama and dada.
Ashleigh - 28
Peter- 32
Riley- 2/9/06
Wyatt- 11/12/07
Lucy- 9/25/09
Alice- EDD 5/12/12
mama*ashleigh
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby AmandaP » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:42 pm

Em has a great vocab. now at ll months. She's got about 25+ words down and started two word phrases about a month ago. Not walking much though at all, I can maybe get about 5 steps out of her at a time.
Image Image
Check out the new site!: www.aprincephoto.com
AmandaP
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SlainteMhath » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:48 pm

Finlay was properly walking at 10 months (don't know if that is really considered early, but FWIW..) and he only says mama and dada and I think he is only just now really associating those words with us (maybe!). Callum didn't walk as well as Finlay is right now until after his first birthday (took his first steps at 10 or 11 months), but knew many words at this point.

I just think my boys are very different. I don't think Finlay is going to be as vocal, but he sure as hell is going to be more active and more of a troublemaker than his big brother. :wink:
[ImageImageImage
SlainteMhath
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

walk/talk

Postby Sammi1 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:53 am

My oldest son walked at 9 months old. We were so proud, thinking he was such a bright child, etc. That lasted about a week, because right after that, he learned to run, and I have been chasing him ever since!! He has always been "chatty" and talked with several words kind of early. DS2 was a late talker, due to numerous chronic ear infections. Once he got his tubes in his ears, his vocabulary doubled in 2 weeks! His ENT doc didn't seem at all surprised when I mentioned this, he told me "Of course his vocabulary picked up, he can HEAR what people are saying now". He didn't walk until he was 14 months old-we didn't encourage him either, knowing what we knew from DS1. DD walked when she was a little over 12 months old. Again, we didn't encourage her a whole lot. She didn't crawl much-she preferred to roll wherever she wanted to go!! It was funny to see her rolling from one side of the room to the other. We asked the doctor about it, and he said she was fine, some babies don't crawl much. DD didn't talk for a long time, because her older brothers waited on her hand and foot and she never had to ask for anything!

Samantha-mom to:
James Anthony 11/26/2008
Baby Adriann in Heaven August 30, 2006 (11w)
Estella 09/27/2005
Marcus 04/26/1994
Randy 10/12/1992
Married to Brian 08/23/1991
Sammi1
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Return to Babies (Birth to One Year)