bedtime

Sleepless nights. Breastfeeding vs Bottle. Baby's first milestones. Vaccinations. Teething. Crawling.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

What time do you put your little one down?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:33 am

7-8pm (or earlier)
60%
8-9pm
40%

Total votes : 50

Postby Babydreamer1326 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:39 am

Caydyn and Deztyni both go to bed at 7pm. Caydyn takes one 1 hour nap from 10-11am, and Deztyni does not nap at all. It usually takes them about 10-15 min. to fall asleep once they get into bed. :wink:
Deztyni Dezyrae, 7/13/06
Caydyn Tayeshaun, 9/26/07
Layla Tymprynce, 3/20/09

Babydreamer1326
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby bellesmomma » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:01 am

Irelyn (10 mos) goes to bed between 9:30 and 10:30. If she goes to bed any earlier, she will not STTN. We experimented with an 8-8:30 bedtime and she would consistently wake up at 11 or 12 wide eyed and ready to play. She sttn and wakes up around 8am, earlier if big sis is loud getting ready for school. She stays up for 2 hours then goes back to sleep for her long nap, usually 2 hours. She'll take another nap in the afternoon, but it's always a different time/length depending on what we're doing.
Annalee Belle and Irelyn Grace
bellesmomma
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby FirstTimeMommy22 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:30 pm

LSUspingirl wrote:now i'm worried about getting flamed for not taking proper care of J! he doesn't go to bed until 9:30-10. he typically sleeps until 7ish, when daddy's alarm goes off and wakes all 3 of us up. he does STTN.

Don't feel bad, Michelle, this is our schedule too. If I put P down at 7:30 she'll wake around 8:30 and not to just eat but to play. She sttn and naps alot during the day so I'm not worried about her sleeping enough. If I try and keep her up longer during she is BEYOND cranky.This is just what works for us at the moment. I do want to get her to be earlier but she seems to be doing that on her own. She started out going to bed at 11 but now she's pushed it back herself to 9:30-10. I'll she if she continues it on her own. If not then we'll start trying to get her to bed earlier on our own at 6 months or so.

Does anyone know any gentle techniques that can help with setting a scheduled time?
Me-24 DH-25 DD- Phoenix Grace 10/23/2008
ImageImage
FirstTimeMommy22
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby lealea » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:52 am

FirstTimeMommy22 wrote:
LSUspingirl wrote:now i'm worried about getting flamed for not taking proper care of J! he doesn't go to bed until 9:30-10. he typically sleeps until 7ish, when daddy's alarm goes off and wakes all 3 of us up. he does STTN.

Don't feel bad, Michelle, this is our schedule too. If I put P down at 7:30 she'll wake around 8:30 and not to just eat but to play. She sttn and naps alot during the day so I'm not worried about her sleeping enough. If I try and keep her up longer during she is BEYOND cranky.This is just what works for us at the moment. I do want to get her to be earlier but she seems to be doing that on her own. She started out going to bed at 11 but now she's pushed it back herself to 9:30-10. I'll she if she continues it on her own. If not then we'll start trying to get her to bed earlier on our own at 6 months or so.

Does anyone know any gentle techniques that can help with setting a scheduled time?

Maybe you could try moving the time back in 15 min increments? When I was changing DD's feeding schedule from 3 hours to 4 hours I pushed it back by 15 mins every 3 days so it gradually changed. By 2 weeks she hadn't noticed the difference.

lealea
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby missnita » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:38 am

Venia wrote:It does not matter what time they go to bed as long as they are getting enough quality sleep.

I disagree. Of course quality sleep is the most important, but pretty much every sleep expert I've read advice from believes that babies should be in bed by 8pm, but preferably earlier. That this is a babies NATURAL bedtime because they run on a 12 hour clock...12 hours for daytime, 12 hours for nighttime. Just as it isn't natural for adults to sleep in until, say, 2pm [most people, if they sleep in that late, feel groggy & as if much of the day has been wasted] sleep experts believe that babies shouldn't be sleeping in past 8am. To me, that makes sense. It might not be ideal for parents & therefore keeping the baby up later & not trying to gently push them into an earlier bedtime creates a habit for baby...& then baby sees bedtime as between 9 & 10pm. & babies are creatures of habit, so unless parents try to nudge them into the new bedtime, they'll stick with what they know/have been taught.

Most babies that I know of that are older & still don't STTN, waking for a feeding etc., have later bedtimes. STTN might be considered 5-6 hours, but at a certain age it really becomes 12 hours...so a baby that's say, 9 months old, that goes to bed at 10pm really shouldn't be waking up at 3 or 5....they should be sleeping straight until 10am, minus a waking for a paci replacement or a blankie repositioning or something very minor.

Also...3 year olds, 4 year olds, 5 year olds shouldn't be going to bed at 10pm. Why not set them on the right path early? If a baby's bedtime is set as 8pm or earlier that'll easily lead into the same bedtime for a toddler & kindergartner.

DS was the same...bedtime was quite late & he was waking quite early. We gradually moved his bedtime to 7:30pm at about 4-5 months old. Now he sleeps from 7:30pm - 7:30am, usually sleeping through OR sometimes waking once for the paci to be put in around 6am. This ensures we have grown-up time, can get things done around the house, can go out as a couple if we want to [although, as of now we have only gone out once a couple without him].

Anyway, sorry that was so long winded, hehe. I'm just a firm believe that bedtime matters & that it made all the difference in our household. Where we were struggling with sleep & constantly getting up with him in the middle of the night & stressing out over our own lack of sleep, we now get a full night's sleep & just feel 100% better than we did a few months ago. Sure, there will be some babies that bedtime won't be as important...there's always an exception to the rule...but in general, I think babies do better with an earlier bedtime.
ME - Anita: 31
DH - Patrick: 32
DS1 - Oliver: 2
DS2 - Eli: Born 10/22/10

Image Image
missnita
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jaysmom » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:59 am

Bedtime and routine are important. My DD (she's 8 ) has the same bedtime year round 9pm (only occassionaly do I change it for her). She used to go down earlier but then she would be up at 6am and she doesn't need to be up that early so betime got moved back to 9. That works for her, she still needs quiet a bit of sleep to function properly. My Ds on the other hand is the exact opposite.

He has NO schedule. As much as I hate this because I am a schedule/routine freak :) this is how HE is. If I put him to bed at 7pm he's back up around 8-8:30 and guess what he is then up playing until 12 or so. The kid just never sleeps. So he typically goes down around 9-10 is up somewhere around 3-4 to eat and back up around 7-8 for the DAY.

DD ~ 10
DS ~ 9-3-08
jaysmom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby LSUspingirl » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:15 am

tara, good to see someone else with a night-owlish baby!

J has actually moved his bedtime back some on his own - of course, we aren't discouraging him... he is only recently LEARNING to nap, after much work on my part to help him along in that direction. when he was about 6w, we tried putting him down early and he would have none of it. NONE. OF. IT. there was, consequently, absolutely no peace in our home in the evenings and all 3 of us were miserable. we decided to let him do his thing after a couple of weeks of this, and he immediately began STTN. in a sense, i've just had to come to terms with the fact that this is a child who probably will be bright of eye and bushy of tail most of the day, for most of his life, and may not ever be the kid who goes to bed early and sleeps late.

funny....i could have written that last sentence about myself.
LSUspingirl
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jaysmom » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:39 am

LSUspingirl wrote:funny....i could have written that last sentence about myself.

I was just talking to my pedi about this the other day and he told me that sleep is a heriditary thing. I myself don't need a lot of sleep (I would like some :wink: ) and he said that it sounds like my ds is just going to be like me. Totally makes sense my DD sleeps a good 10 hours every night, just like her daddy. :D

DD ~ 10
DS ~ 9-3-08
jaysmom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby HannahMarch » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:14 pm

11pm. i know that's late, but then she sleeps until 7-ish. It was more like 10, but daylight savings screwed that up. Last night it was after midnight (we had been traveling and she slept in the car for a few hours earlier) and she slept until 8. Works for us, usually. Sometimes she's up at 6am. But she will snuggle and fall asleep nursing.

She won't go to bed unless she has nursed 6 times in the day. By the time we hit #6, it's pretty late at night.
Me 33, DH 31- Married in 2000

Hannah just turned 3!!
Alice Jordan born Oct 28, 2011 !!!!
HannahMarch
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby FirstTimeMommy22 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:13 pm

jaysmom wrote:
LSUspingirl wrote:funny....i could have written that last sentence about myself.

I was just talking to my pedi about this the other day and he told me that sleep is a heriditary thing. I myself don't need a lot of sleep (I would like some :wink: ) and he said that it sounds like my ds is just going to be like me. Totally makes sense my DD sleeps a good 10 hours every night, just like her daddy. :D

That explains ALOT. DH and I are TOTAL night owls. It didnt even faze us when P stayed up till 11pm it fit so well with us and she'd sleep till 9 or so. She LOVES her naps during the day just like mommy and daddy. We've never had a problem with sleep with her. Knowing this maybe I wont fuss about getting her to bed earlier just yet. My girl is feisty and will definetly put up a fight :wink:
Me-24 DH-25 DD- Phoenix Grace 10/23/2008
ImageImage
FirstTimeMommy22
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Luv2Skydive » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:27 pm

missnita wrote:That this is a babies NATURAL bedtime because they run on a 12 hour clock...12 hours for daytime, 12 hours for nighttime.

I'm not sure if you literally mean day and night or what? Because there is no way my LO is going to go to sleep at 5:30 in the winter when it gets dark and then switch to 9:30 in the summer when the days are a lot longer and nighttime comes much later. :lol:
Luv2Skydive
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Emmo » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:13 pm

Ok, I'm thinking that maybe alot of 4 month old babies are still at that younger baby sleeping schedule where they go to sleep later. It looks like most people saying they put their baby to bed later have younger babies. In healthy sleep habits, happy child" he says that babies younger than 4 months go to bed later... so maybe that's the difference?

Mine, who turned 4 months today, still goes to bed around 9- 9:30, but I'm thinking he'll be ready for an earlier bed time soon. He also takes 4-5 naps a day still. I'm trying to work on that.
Me: 31
DH: 32
DS: 4 (Nov 2008 baby)
DD: 1 (Nov 2011 baby)

Image Image :cloth diapering:
Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby bellesmomma » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:24 pm

I was thinking the same thing as Luv2Skydive. 8pm differs alot depending on the time of year, it doesn't make sense to me how a doctor can just pick a magic number. I would think the opposite would be true and that if you try to put lo to bed too early, it would mess with their natural body rythym. But that may just be my girls. They will not STTN if put to bed by 8, but Irelyn does sleep for 10hours straight when she goes to bed later. Annalee is 7 years old and sleeps around 9.
Annalee Belle and Irelyn Grace
bellesmomma
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Luv2Skydive » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:49 pm

bellesmomma wrote:I was thinking the same thing as Luv2Skydive. 8pm differs alot depending on the time of year, it doesn't make sense to me how a doctor can just pick a magic number. I would think the opposite would be true and that if you try to put lo to bed too early, it would mess with their natural body rythym. But that may just be my girls. They will not STTN if put to bed by 8, but Irelyn does sleep for 10hours straight when she goes to bed later. Annalee is 7 years old and sleeps around 9.

I base bedtime on a lot of different factors and it changes throughout the year. In the summertime, our schedules change by a couple of hours with the longer days. I remember my mom putting my brother and I to bed at 8pm in the summer when there was no school. Oh, it was AWFUL to go to bed when the sun was still out! I remember lying in bed feeling so sad hearing the neighborhood kids playing outside. :(
Luv2Skydive
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

PreviousNext

Return to Babies (Birth to One Year)