bedtime

Sleepless nights. Breastfeeding vs Bottle. Baby's first milestones. Vaccinations. Teething. Crawling.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

What time do you put your little one down?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:33 am

7-8pm (or earlier)
60%
8-9pm
40%

Total votes : 50

Postby missnita » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:41 pm

Luv2Skydive: No, I do not mean 12 hour clock as in, from when it gets dark out. Babies under 4 months will sleep 15-20 hours within a 24 hour period. This is because their clock isn't set & they can't differentiate night from day...or rather, their night from day. There's no pattern until they pick one up naturally or with parents guidance. Around 4 months of age babies need approx. 9-12 hours of sleep per night...doesn't mean they've adapted to that yet, but that's ideally what they need & they may start better understanding night from day. 6 months to 2 years of age children need between 11 & 12 hours of sleep per night.

The emphasis here is on the amount of sleep they need. Can a child get 12 hours a sleep going to bed at 11pm? Sure...they can sleep in until 11am the next morning, but it's really not natural to do so. In general, our bodies feel the need to get up when the sun comes up. That's why we get a better sleep when we draw the blinds when we take a nap in the day, or when we want to go back to bed in the morning. Sure...we CAN sleep in the day, but the sun is telling us it's time to be up. As far as time change is concerned, babies do have a hard time adjusting when the change goes into effect...babies learn, in the fall & winter that they go to bed when it's dark. Not necessarily as soon as it gets dark, but when it's dark. If it's still light out & they're being put to bed, they don't understand because sunlight means daytime. However, they do adjust to the fact that at certain times of year it just takes a little longer for it to get dark. Just backs up my theory that babies are also meant to get up early & not be sleeping in until late morning or early afternoon.

If a baby is going to bed at 10pm & getting up at 10am or so & isn't losing out on any sleep, fine. But the fact is that in most cases they are going to be going to school around the age of 5 & their bedtime WILL need to be earlier. It's going to be much harder to institute a bedtime change in the later years when children are more stubborn & don't take so easily to change.

Every baby IS different, but I hear so many parents complain about their children still waking a lot in the night, or still waking to eat even at much older ages...& it often seems their babies have much later bedtimes. My LO was just like that...until we made his bedtime 7:30pm.
ME - Anita: 31
DH - Patrick: 32
DS1 - Oliver: 2
DS2 - Eli: Born 10/22/10

Image Image
missnita
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Luv2Skydive » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:49 pm

Thanks for clarifying MissNita. :)
Luv2Skydive
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby january » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:05 pm

HannahMarch wrote:11pm. i know that's late, but then she sleeps until 7-ish. It was more like 10, but daylight savings screwed that up. Last night it was after midnight (we had been traveling and she slept in the car for a few hours earlier) and she slept until 8. Works for us, usually. Sometimes she's up at 6am. But she will snuggle and fall asleep nursing.

Man, I could have written that word for word.
Heather - 32
DH - 33
Violet - 12/31/08 (born on her EDD -- 6lb 13oz)
Eleanor & Cecilia - 6/26/12 (born 39 weeks 2 days -- 6lb 8oz & 7lb 10oz)

january
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby nessifly » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:25 pm

we put leo down around 7 before daylight savings, now it's around 8.

on a good night, i do a dreamfeed around 11, then he wakes up around 4 to nurse and go right back to sleep, and then is up for the day around 7 or 8.

but that's a good night.

on a bad night, like last night, he wakes up to nurse at 10 pm, 12 am, 1:30 am, 3 am, 4 am, 5 am.......... :roll:

we've experimented w/ pushing his bedtime back but he pretty much goes ballistic.

he is entirely solar powered - if the sun's up, he's up. and vice versa.

it's making naps very interesting. :?
Me:31 DH:32
nessifly
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby bellesmomma » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:40 am

Luv2Skydive wrote: I remember my mom putting my brother and I to bed at 8pm in the summer when there was no school. Oh, it was AWFUL to go to bed when the sun was still out! I remember lying in bed feeling so sad hearing the neighborhood kids playing outside. :(

I remember that too, it made me so sad. Then I'd just lie awake for hours unable to sleep anyway. If my parents had just let me play that extra hour I'm sure I would have been good and tired.

I found this article on babycenter
http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-much-sl ... ed_7645.bc
It has a nice chart and tips on how to tell if your LO is sleep deprived. Irelyn is right on for her age and my answer to all the questions was no.
Annalee Belle and Irelyn Grace
bellesmomma
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stuckunderhere » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:58 am

LSUspingirl wrote:now i'm worried about getting flamed for not taking proper care of J! he doesn't go to bed until 9:30-10. he typically sleeps until 7ish, when daddy's alarm goes off and wakes all 3 of us up. he does STTN.

Sam is exactly like that too. Is it bad of us not putting them to bed earlier?
stuckunderhere
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby obxgirl » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:40 pm

Noah goes to bed around 8pm every night....and tends to sleep anywhere from 9.5 to 11 hours (occasionally 12 if I'm lucky). Two night ago he slept 12 hours straight without feeding...and then last night he went the other end of the spectrum and woke at 12:40 at 5:20am.
Every once in a while I do an 11pm "dream feed" to see if it makes a difference...but I haven't really noticed anything consistant by doing this.

I usually start nursing him around 7:30pm and place him in his crib by just after 8pm. (he's been STTN sporadically since 9 weeks)
He gets 3 naps a day which vary widely in length by the day!
Noah Ryder: born 11/13/08 (his due date)....21 inches and 7lbs 7.7oz!

8 week heartbeat 176! : )
19.5 weeks.... It's a BOY!!!!!
Elias Xavier born 3/24 at 10:53AM! : )
8lbs 0.1oz and 22.5 inches long

obxgirl
Addicted
Addicted

Postby jaysmom » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:49 pm

Ok well I put LO to bed at 8pm last night and boy was that a mistake. He was up at 12 and didn't go back to bed until 230 and then back up at 4 until 5. I think we're going to stick to the 9-10 bedtime. :lol:

DD ~ 10
DS ~ 9-3-08
jaysmom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby emoprincesa » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:52 pm

jaysmom wrote:Ok well I put LO to bed at 8pm last night and boy was that a mistake. He was up at 12 and didn't go back to bed until 230 and then back up at 4 until 5. I think we're going to stick to the 9-10 bedtime. :lol:

I am not telling you to change your bedtime, but if you are interested in changing it, what worked for us is to do it gradually.

For instance, Ava was going to bed at 11 and STTN at 2ish months old. So every few days, I would put her down 30 minutes earlier and by 3ish months she was down at 7:00 and still STTN.
Amber (27) Mommy to Brayden ( 07.07.07 ) and Ava ( 09.09.08 )
emoprincesa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jmlgirl » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:17 pm

I have a hard time stretching it to 6:45pm... my older DD always went to bed early. She's 2 now and goes down by 7:30... We're all early birds so early down early up works better for us
Me: Jo & DW: Angie
DD Sophie
DD Stella
DD Nora
DS Quinn

www.advocare.com/10053966
jmlgirl
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby missnita » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:20 pm

It's not bad that some of you are putting your LO's to bed later. You're just doing what works for you/your family to get as much sleep as you feel is possible with your LO.

I guess the point I was getting at, is that most babies [but there are exceptions] do better with an earlier bedtime. If a later bedtime works better for you & you don't might the way things are, that's great. But at some point you'll have to push the bedtime back & it may be harder with an older child.

If you DO decide to try to implement an earlier bedtime, as emoprincesa said, it's probably better to do it gradually. & stick with the gradual change, rather than reverting back to your old bedtime just because LO is fussy & cranky. It takes more than a night or two to give baby a new bedtime.
ME - Anita: 31
DH - Patrick: 32
DS1 - Oliver: 2
DS2 - Eli: Born 10/22/10

Image Image
missnita
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Previous

Return to Babies (Birth to One Year)