when/ when do you plan to start cereal?

Sleepless nights. Breastfeeding vs Bottle. Baby's first milestones. Vaccinations. Teething. Crawling.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

when did you or when will you start cereal in a bowl?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:49 pm

1month
6%
2 months
No votes
3 months
No votes
4 months
35%
5 months
16%
5 months
16%
6 months
22%
7 months
No votes
8 months
2%
9 months
2%
10 months
No votes
11 months or longer
No votes

Total votes : 49

when/ when do you plan to start cereal?

Postby twinmamamaven » Sat May 30, 2009 3:49 pm

we tried on their 5 month birthday & they just screamed & screamed... we are thinking of waiting until closer to 7 months now. kellymom.com suggests waiting longer too.

when did you or when will you start cereal in a bowl?
Deidre-36 & Bill-40
6 IVF/FET's, a triplet m/c @ 11wks & a chem pg.

Image Image

ImageImage
twinmamamaven
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Lindsey » Sat May 30, 2009 4:49 pm

We'll start between 6 and 7 months with Olive.
Lindsey

Postby LaurensMom » Sat May 30, 2009 9:33 pm

We will start sometime after 6 months. With Lauren we started at 4 months but that was just a hassle. I am going as long as possible (but not too long) without solids this time. :D
Mary 32 DH 34
Hypothyroid, PCOS and MFI
#1-Lauren- 05-01-07
#2-James - 02-21-09
#3 Joey- 07-09-12
Due with #4 (EDD 01-20-15)
:angel: 9w 1d (02-21-10) d&c
:angel: 4w 6d (07-24-10)
:angel: D&C (05-25-11) confirmed molar
pregnancy
09-11- Chemical pregnancy
LaurensMom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MicheleLM » Sat May 30, 2009 10:22 pm

We tried her at 4 months per her pediatricians recommendation (telling us to follow the baby's cues), she didn't hate it, but wasn't all that into it, so we waited about a week and a half and tried again - that short amount of time made all the difference in the world! She gobbled it right up! I give her about 1-2 tablespoons per day and have now started her on sweet potatoes and pears, so she gets 1-2 oz. of those per day as well.
*DD -12-22-08
*DS - 05-03-12
:angel: 4 Angel Babies:
Chemical, DS 17w, DD 9w, Blighted Ovum 9w

MyBlog: http://www.tryingagainajourneyoflove.blogspot.com
MicheleLM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby obxgirl » Sun May 31, 2009 7:45 am

we started solids on Noah's exact 6 month birthday....but we actually started with avacado. Sweet potato was next. I did add organic brown rice cereal about a week later ...in particular to make sure the little guy is getting enough iron in his diet. I'm of the school of thought that starting solids later is the way to go (as you read on kellymom). Meanwhile, our little guy LOVES solids (& breastmilk!)...but he seems to struggle with gas and such since the process began. I believe it is affecting his sleep...so hopefully he'll get used to it all.
Noah Ryder: born 11/13/08 (his due date)....21 inches and 7lbs 7.7oz!

8 week heartbeat 176! : )
19.5 weeks.... It's a BOY!!!!!
Elias Xavier born 3/24 at 10:53AM! : )
8lbs 0.1oz and 22.5 inches long

obxgirl
Addicted
Addicted

Postby january » Sun May 31, 2009 8:18 am

We started cereal a little bit before she turned 4 months to help with her reflux. She really wasn't impressed with the rice & it did a number on her with horrible gas & constipation, so I stopped and waited a few weeks then tried again with oatmeal. She loves oatmeal! We started other solids (so far only applesauce & bananas) a couple weeks after that.

We don't give her too much. Maybe a Tbsp or two of oatmeal in the morning and a Tbsp of fruit in the evening/late afternoon.
Heather - 32
DH - 33
Violet - 12/31/08 (born on her EDD -- 6lb 13oz)
Eleanor & Cecilia - 6/26/12 (born 39 weeks 2 days -- 6lb 8oz & 7lb 10oz)

january
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby 2007mamavv » Sun May 31, 2009 10:03 am

liam just had some cereal today.

He has had applesauce and pears so far just little tastes.
Victor-6-19-07
Liam -12-19-08
Tristan Gabriel- 3-31-10

6-30-2010 Eclipse
2007mamavv
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Stucky » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:50 am

I ebreast fed each of my kids and started solids with all of them at around 5 months. It worked for the boys- they are extremely healthy (rarely sick, never been hospitalized) very intelligent and overall just happy guys. So I figured I'd do the same with Phoebe. Sometimes I think we can just overanalyze things to death- I personally don't understand the solids debate...I mean I understand being a new Mom and not really knowing when to try solids, but I don't understand the strong opinion of some to tell others to wait a really long time (UNLESS there are allergies in your family) I believe in following your babies cues with this one.
Me (Rebecca)-35
Dh 38
Ds Miles 7
Ds Reed 5
Dd Phoebe 11/19/08
Stucky
Addicted
Addicted

Postby january » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:01 am

Stucky wrote:Sometimes I think we can just overanalyze things to death- I personally don't understand the solids debate...I mean I understand being a new Mom and not really knowing when to try solids, but I don't understand the strong opinion of some to tell others to wait a really long time

ITA!! I just don't get it.
Heather - 32
DH - 33
Violet - 12/31/08 (born on her EDD -- 6lb 13oz)
Eleanor & Cecilia - 6/26/12 (born 39 weeks 2 days -- 6lb 8oz & 7lb 10oz)

january
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MicheleLM » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:10 am

I personally don't understand the solids debate...I mean I understand being a new Mom and not really knowing when to try solids, but I don't understand the strong opinion of some to tell others to wait a really long time

ITA - I never have understood why people have such strong opinions on anything that doesn't have to do with their OWN children. I love to be able to come here for suggestions, but hate it when people jump all over you for something you have decided to do...but I digress :wink:
*DD -12-22-08
*DS - 05-03-12

MicheleLM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby LemonJelly » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:35 am

I'm really confused - is it just me/my computer or have half the replies to this gone awol?!
Image Image

Image Image

Gill 30, Working Mum to Charlie, born 6 October 2008 8lb 9oz. I nursed my sweet boy for 2 years, 8 months and 5 days :hb: TTC with PCOS, BFP 6 March, first clomid cycle, after over 2 years waiting. Due date 15 Nov.
LemonJelly
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Baby4Staci » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:15 pm

I started Mason at 4 months .. he wasnt really good at it and really only ate such a small amount. With Savannah i will wait until she is AT LEAST 6 months.. maybe longer.. They dont need food really until about 10 months anyway..
Mason Anthony born 1/9/07
Savannah Ray born 5/9/09
Baby4Staci
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby LemonJelly » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:28 pm

Stucky wrote:I personally don't understand the solids debate...I mean I understand being a new Mom and not really knowing when to try solids, but I don't understand the strong opinion of some to tell others to wait a really long time (UNLESS there are allergies in your family) I believe in following your babies cues with this one.

I DO agree in following babies cues - and that every baby and every family is different - so saying that you should or should not start solids at a particular age is very arbitrary. That said the recommendations of the AAP/NHS/WHO/Unicef/Health Canada etc is to wait until AT LEAST six months - and that recommendation exists for a reason - that the average baby (again taking on board all individuals etc etc) does not have the digestive maturity nor the developemental skills to cope with solids before six months.

We didn't have any family history of allergies so no reason to wait longer, and started Charlie on solids at 6 months - but while I didn't have any reason to wait I also don't see what the hurry is - Milk - whether BM or F should be the primary source of nutrition for the first year. There are plenty of good reasons to delay beyond six months
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solid ... olids.html
and there are a lot of risks attached to starting early - and by early I mean 4-6 months - the ages that many pedi's either OK starting - or even recommend starting because they are not to up to date with the research. When I look at the results of this survey I am shocked by how many have started early. This is not a judgement - I am sure that those of you who gave cereal before 6mo did so based on a dr's recommendation - but I'm still shocked - especially that some have given it at 1mo. I'm aware that it is given for reflux - and I do not know what the current research says about this - beyond the fact that as a blanket statement
The American Academy of Pediatrics, the World Health Organization, and many other health organizations recommend that babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or other foods) for the first 6 months of life.
(Kellymom - link above) I found the reasons to delay and the myths debunked on that Kellymom page very useful in deciding to wait to 6m - and have no regrets.

My approach to solids is Baby-Led Weaning (which is different from Child-Led Weaning - which refers to the child self weaning from breast feeding when they are ready - although these approaches fit together well). BLW involves no purees or spoon feeding - baby starts on table foods right from the start - and feeds themself. Charlie has had toast and rice cakes and pasta, but until a couple of days ago I'd not tried to give him any form of baby cereal. I tried oatmeal with a bit of fruit puree. I had to feed him it naked in the bathtub as I let him handle the spoon himself - it gets messy!! I don't think he actually ate much - but he seemed to enjoy himself mushing it about lol. If you want to know more about BLW there are some threads in the solids forum.
Image Image

Image Image

Gill 30, Working Mum to Charlie, born 6 October 2008 8lb 9oz. I nursed my sweet boy for 2 years, 8 months and 5 days :hb: TTC with PCOS, BFP 6 March, first clomid cycle, after over 2 years waiting. Due date 15 Nov.
LemonJelly
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MicheleLM » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:26 pm

To each her own...but fyi, this...
The American Academy of Pediatrics, the World Health Organization, and many other health organizations recommend that babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or other foods) for the first 6 months of life.

is even debated by the AAP - the following is a quote from the book "Your Baby's First Years" which is put out by The American Academy of Pediatrics (found on page 273 the book was given to me by my pediatrician)...
There is a difference of opinion among Academy experts on this matter. The section on Breastfeeding supports exclusive breastfeeding for about 6 months. The Committee on Nutrition supports the introduction of complimentary foods between 4 and 6 months of age when safe and nutritious complimentary foods are available.
*DD -12-22-08
*DS - 05-03-12

MicheleLM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Next

Return to Babies (Birth to One Year)