when/ when do you plan to start cereal?

Sleepless nights. Breastfeeding vs Bottle. Baby's first milestones. Vaccinations. Teething. Crawling.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

when did you or when will you start cereal in a bowl?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:49 pm

1month
6%
2 months
No votes
3 months
No votes
4 months
35%
5 months
16%
5 months
16%
6 months
22%
7 months
No votes
8 months
2%
9 months
2%
10 months
No votes
11 months or longer
No votes

Total votes : 49

Postby Stucky » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:24 pm

The only thing I meant is that I look at my 7 and 5 year old boys who are so healthy- truly... and that I started them on babyfood (always organic) at around 5 months and have seen no reprocutions. So that's why I said I don't understand the health risks, I'm not saying that with any kind of attitude or anything I just literally haven't seen health problems for my boys. If its just your personal choice by all means I get that I mean the poo does get nasty with solids-LOL, and it can be seen as a pain- I get that too.
Me (Rebecca)-35
Dh 38
Ds Miles 7
Ds Reed 5
Dd Phoebe 11/19/08
Stucky
Addicted
Addicted

Postby RowanMama » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:32 pm

MicheleLM wrote:To each her own...but fyi, this...
The American Academy of Pediatrics, the World Health Organization, and many other health organizations recommend that babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or other foods) for the first 6 months of life.

is even debated by the AAP - the following is a quote from the book "Your Baby's First Years" which is put out by The American Academy of Pediatrics (found on page 273 the book was given to me by my pediatrician)...
There is a difference of opinion among Academy experts on this matter. The section on Breastfeeding supports exclusive breastfeeding for about 6 months. The Committee on Nutrition supports the introduction of complimentary foods between 4 and 6 months of age when safe and nutritious complimentary foods are available.

Because there is research the reveals added health benefits for breastfed babies (re: immunity). The combination of "mother's microbes", her secreted antibodies and white blood cells (that excrete hormones) provide for further immune development and added protection for gut infection as well as ear and upper respiratory illness. The introduction of solids changes the microbial environment drastically. If done too soon it will negate "some" of the benefits of exclusive breastfeeding during the crucial gut and immune development stage.

With formula fed (and supplemented) babies the studies are more skewed because the gut lining is already "changed" by exposure to different microbes and chemicals; the same effect as "solids". That said 4 months is the estimated time in which the infant gut is developed enough to handle the larger molecules "solids" introduce.
RowanMama
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Susy07 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:06 pm

luvinmybelly wrote:If your BFing, you should probably wait till later rather than earlier. It will mess up your supply, because solids are going to take longer to digest, hence, less feeding and drop in supply.

I pump to make up the difference. :) even if he only eats a tablespoon of rice cereal. ill pump like 3 ounces.
I'm Susy (27) Dh is Tyler (29)
Baby angel lost at 5 weeks in May 2007.
William Christian. Born Dec 14 2008,
Baby angel lost at 8w4d. Miscarried at 11w1d in Nov 2010.
Rachel Amber, Born Feb 29th, 2012
Baby angel, 9w2d. Partial molar pregnancy, lost Sept 1, 2013
Tessa Breanne born Nov 10, 2014
Susy07

Postby LemonJelly » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:05 am

MicheleLM wrote:To each her own...but fyi, this...
The American Academy of Pediatrics, the World Health Organization, and many other health organizations recommend that babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or other foods) for the first 6 months of life.

is even debated by the AAP - the following is a quote from the book "Your Baby's First Years" which is put out by The American Academy of Pediatrics (found on page 273 the book was given to me by my pediatrician)...
There is a difference of opinion among Academy experts on this matter. The section on Breastfeeding supports exclusive breastfeeding for about 6 months. The Committee on Nutrition supports the introduction of complimentary foods between 4 and 6 months of age when safe and nutritious complimentary foods are available.

To respond to this I guess it depends on the date of the book. To quote from kellymom again:

There has been a large amount of research on this in the recent past, and most health organizations have updated their recommendations to agree with current research. Unfortunately, many health care providers are not up to date in what they're telling parents, and many, many books are not up to date.

The following organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (not the first 4-6 months):

World Health Organization
UNICEF
US Department of Health & Human Services
American Academy of Pediatrics
American Academy of Family Physicians
American Dietetic Association
Australian National Health and Medical Research Council
Royal Australian College of General Practitioners
Health Canada

Now as I said before I definatley believe that every LO is different and there are going to be 4-6 month olds who ARE ready to start solids early, but equally there will be 6-8 month olds who AREN'T ready until later. And as Stucky said it is definatley a matter of following your babies cues. My concern is that if the "average" baby isn't ready till about 6 mo but a significant number start solids early then it is logical to assume that some of those babies will be starting earlier than would be ideal for them as individuals, and in that situation they may be more vulnerable to allergies, anaemia, and obesity later in life.
Image Image

Image Image

Gill 30, Working Mum to Charlie, born 6 October 2008 8lb 9oz. I nursed my sweet boy for 2 years, 8 months and 5 days :hb: TTC with PCOS, BFP 6 March, first clomid cycle, after over 2 years waiting. Due date 15 Nov.
LemonJelly
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby twinmamamaven » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:26 pm

thanks for all of your opinions ladies! I truely appreciate everyone's input!

it is a very personal decision.

Our pedi said to put cereal in their bottles at 2 mns. We tried it, it wasn't for us. She also said it was okay to start cereal from a bowl at 4 mns, we tired it at 5 mns & it was not time.

We have decided FOR OUR FAMILY :D - that we will try oatmeal cereal again at the end of July (after our month long family vacation).

oh & I am an exclusive pumper- so starting cereal will not effect my supply :wink:
Deidre-36 & Bill-40
6 IVF/FET's, a triplet m/c @ 11wks & a chem pg.

Image Image

ImageImage
twinmamamaven
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Keysha » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:44 pm

bcblondie wrote:
luvinmybelly wrote:If your BFing, you should probably wait till later rather than earlier. It will mess up your supply, because solids are going to take longer to digest, hence, less feeding and drop in supply.

I pump to make up the difference. :) even if he only eats a tablespoon of rice cereal. ill pump like 3 ounces.

Why not just feed him the 3 ounces of breastmilk and skip the cereal? Its way more nutritious and yummy! :)

Trevor started solids just barely before 6 months and we skipped cereal entirely. He always enjoyed real food (fruits and vegetables) much better than cereal...have you ever tasted it? I don't blame him one bit! lol
Keysha
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Susy07 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:52 pm

b/c he'll be 6 months in about a week. info is so conflicting i kinda met somewhere in the middle. you're right tho, i dont think he likes the rice cereal much. he LOVES bananas :)
Susy07

Postby Keysha » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:53 pm

bcblondie wrote:b/c he'll be 6 months in about a week. info is so conflicting i kinda met somewhere in the middle. you're right tho, i dont think he likes the rice cereal much. he LOVES bananas :)

Infant cereal is NASTY! :lol: Once he gets used to chewing foods that are a little more solid fix him some real old fashioned oats. Trevor loves them!
Keysha
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Susy07 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:54 pm

mmm oats. lol.
Susy07

Postby january » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:54 pm

bcblondie wrote:b/c he'll be 6 months in about a week. info is so conflicting i kinda met somewhere in the middle. you're right tho, i dont think he likes the rice cereal much. he LOVES bananas :)

Have you tried oatmeal instead? We started Vi on rice cereal and she was FAR from impressed, lol. It also seemed to give her some painful gas. So I stopped for a few weeks and then tried again with oatmeal. She gobbles that stuff up now & trust me, pooing is NOT an issue at this house. :shock:
Heather - 32
DH - 33
Violet - 12/31/08 (born on her EDD -- 6lb 13oz)
Eleanor & Cecilia - 6/26/12 (born 39 weeks 2 days -- 6lb 8oz & 7lb 10oz)

january
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Susy07 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:01 pm

january wrote:

Have you tried oatmeal instead? We started Vi on rice cereal and she was FAR from impressed, lol. It also seemed to give her some painful gas. So I stopped for a few weeks and then tried again with oatmeal. She gobbles that stuff up now & trust me, pooing is NOT an issue at this house. :shock:

i do have some. i bot 2 bags. we had some vomiting issues with teh bananas so we're doing everything slowly. im gonna do the rice cereal as the only solid for several days to see if that affects anything. if hes good with that, oatmeal will defo be next :)
Susy07

Postby january » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:09 pm

Lol, I remember the banana story!! I don't blame you for going super slow!
Heather - 32
DH - 33
Violet - 12/31/08 (born on her EDD -- 6lb 13oz)
Eleanor & Cecilia - 6/26/12 (born 39 weeks 2 days -- 6lb 8oz & 7lb 10oz)

january
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Susy07 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:14 pm

yep. nothing like being covered in projectile banana-barf in a secondhand store :roll:
Susy07

Postby Stucky » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:44 pm

I'm thinking of stopping the cereal if there is nothing nutritious for her- its a pain to warm the pumped milk, add the cereal than i've always added too much and I have to warm more milk :roll: ... does anyone know if fruits and veggies are really just as nutritious? And whats the point of cereal anyway? Any good website ideas?
Me (Rebecca)-35
Dh 38
Ds Miles 7
Ds Reed 5
Dd Phoebe 11/19/08
Stucky
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Keysha » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:57 pm

Stucky wrote:I'm thinking of stopping the cereal if there is nothing nutritious for her- its a pain to warm the pumped milk, add the cereal than i've always added too much and I have to warm more milk :roll: ... does anyone know if fruits and veggies are really just as nutritious? And whats the point of cereal anyway? Any good website ideas?

There is nothing in cereal that can't be taken from other foods. Its not that cereal isn't nutritious, but wouldn't you rather your baby get her iron (which is really what the cereal is mostly recommended for) from natural sources like green veggies or meat instead of chemically processed added iron?

Here is a good kellymom link that addresses skipping cereal:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solid ... foods.html

I can try to dig up some more links for you later when I have a little more time! :) HTH!
Last edited by Keysha on Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keysha
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

PreviousNext

Return to Babies (Birth to One Year)