Best Food to Start With?

Sleepless nights. Breastfeeding vs Bottle. Baby's first milestones. Vaccinations. Teething. Crawling.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

What solid should we start with?

Bananas
21%
Steamed Dried Apricots
7%
Steamed Prunes
No votes
Avacado (not so high in iron)
7%
Green Peas
No votes
Green Peas
No votes
Sweet Potatoes (again not so high in iron)
50%
Carrots (not so high in iron..again)
14%

Total votes : 14

Postby cdnmommy » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:02 pm

OK, now I'm assuming you're talking about AFTER starting cereal? I started with the whole rice cereal, then oat, barley etc. first before I introduced any veggies, fruit etc.

I was told my ped. that I should start with yellow veggies first. Primarily for the same reason that you mentioned; not developing a sweet tooth even though I was still bf at the time. So, I started with sweet potato, which was a little sweet, but not like a fruit by any means. I did (again, so much for anonymity) sweet potato, then carrot, squash, then off to green veggies.
ImageImage
cdnmommy
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Sap » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:32 pm

Any of thsoe would work. The only problem with starting with banana is that it can cause constipation, so be aware of that. There's also some info on Kellymom about iron and breastmilk. I havne't read it recently, but from what I remember, as long as you're still nursing your baby will still be getting iron, so it'sn ot a huge concern.

P.S. - we plan on skipping the rice cerial too. And pureees in general really. Once she gets used to eating I'll start her on oatmeal, but for us it's going to be soft fruits and steemed veggies at first.
Sap
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Sap » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:06 am

Reading this article and this blog really helped me realize thatspoon feeding purees etc. isn't necisary. If you wait until your baby is able to pick up their food, put it in their mouth and chew (usually around 6 months) then you can save yourself a lot of work, and know that when your baby starts solids they're ready for it.

There's also good info here. Even mainstream people are catching on to the idea.
Yet experts say children over 6 months can handle most anything, with a few caveats: Be cautious if you have a family history of allergies; introduce one food at a time and watch for any problems; and make sure the food isn't a choking hazard.

I would hardly cosider a mushy-soft boiled carrot a choking hazard, or a slice of avacado etc., so why not start there, right?
Sap
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Babies (Birth to One Year)