Do you use a pacifier?

Sleepless nights. Breastfeeding vs Bottle. Baby's first milestones. Vaccinations. Teething. Crawling.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Do you use/have you used a pacifier?

Yes
66%
No
34%

Total votes : 62

Do you use a pacifier?

Postby Ewa » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:47 pm

One mothers question regarding introducing a paci has got me wondering how many parents do use them.
I have never used one. I have never seen the need for any of my babies to have one. To be honest up until today I have looked negatively on them. I have them as an uneccessary prop to, put it bluntly, shut a baby up when it's inconveniant for the parent to see to it's needs. Up until now I have only seen them as a product of our society where even baby dolls come with a bottle, pacifier and disposable diapers. I have learned though (through this interesting forum) about the high need some infants have for sucking and how pacifiers can be a help/ lifesaver for parents of such babies. I have slightly modifed my (?) extremist (?) views and am looking for input. :)
I would love to know why people choose to use/not use them and if so for how long.
Spporter of BF, CD, Co-sleeping, VBAC. Mum to Sofia - 7 (15th November 2002), Miko - 6 (4th October 2004), Francesca - 2 (26 August 2008).
" width="0" height="0" alt="User avatar" />
Ewa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby chewy_lover21 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:30 pm

Yes I do! If I didnt, Danica would never sleep! During the day she is fine without one, but at night she has to have one. I dread the day when I have to break her of them!
ME-Christina 25, DH-Brad 29
DD born 1/8/2009
8lbs 1.5 oz, 20 inches
DS Born 9/22/2010
8 lbs 10 oz, 20 inches

chewy_lover21
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Wishingandwaitingnomore! » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:48 pm

Gabe uses one as well. At first we didn't want to have a paci baby, but he would suck for hours with nothing in his mouth and it made him really gassy swallowing air. He loves the paci. Sucking comforts him. He's also not very much of a crier so it's not like a shut up device or anything hehe. I plan to try and break him of it when his need to suck/pacify himself isn't so great. My in-laws and sister are quick to stick that thing in his mouth, but I only do it if he starts sucking.
Sarah-30 :hb: DH-32
ImageImage
Wishingandwaitingnomore!
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kisty214 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:51 pm

Brecken has one, and I say one b/c it is one specific paci and I've tried all brands and even the same brand as the one he takes and he will not take it, but he loves to suck and would actually prefer it over a bottle this past weekend he has figured out that his thumb and fingers are fun to suck on too, I don't know why I've never pushed the paci, but he loves it and wants it constantly so I let him.
ME-Kisty(27) DH-Brett(32)
DS1: 9/14/09
DS2: 8/12/10
m/c 3/3/08
m/c 5/15/11
DS3: 2/21/12

Kisty214
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby january » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:55 pm

I would have LOVED for DD to take a pacifier but she never has. Not even in the hospital after she was born & I gave the nurses the ok to try a paci on her. DD has a very, very, very colicky, high needs baby that screamed bloody murder pretty much 24/7 for the first several months. I tried every trick, tip & gimmick in the book to soothe her -- including pacifiers. It wasn't because I wanted to ignore her, but because she was genuinely in need of soothing and sucking is soothing.
Heather - 32
DH - 33
Violet - 12/31/08 (born on her EDD -- 6lb 13oz)
Eleanor & Cecilia - 6/26/12 (born 39 weeks 2 days -- 6lb 8oz & 7lb 10oz)

january
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kali74b » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:51 pm

I give it to him because he has a need to suck, but he only needs it for a few minutes and then he spits it out. He uses it for soothing right before he sleeps and then when he is groggy he spits it out and lets himself fall asleep on his own.....it's so cute when he spits it out, he always smiles.....like thanks I needed that...now goodnight.
kali74b
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby sugarpalmer » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:26 pm

With my son, we gave him one after he took to using my boob as a soother. He only got it when he needed a little extra comfort. When he was 6 months old he crawled across the floor, picked it up, and popped it in his mouth for no reason. I took it away. He never had it again.
This time, Brooklynn had one before we left the delivery room. She just screamed and screamed as long as she wasn't sucking something. The only time she didn't have it for the first while is when she was eating. Now at 10 months she just uses it for bed. I sucked my thumb until I was 10. I think it's easier to take away a soother than a thumb or fingers. I just want to add that even with a soother, she has always made her needs known.
sugarpalmer
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Lindsey » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:40 pm

My girls both love their pacifier. They find it very soothing.

We have never used it to "shut them up"...

It's kind of like a lovie blankie/stuffed animal- they find it comforting and like to have it when they nap/go to bed.

There have been studies done as well that say pacifiers reduce the risk of SIDS.

A lot of people recommend the "5 Ss" for newborns/babies to help calm them and the sucking is one of the Ss. We did most of them except we never really did the noise thing- we sing to them to comfort but never used any kind of white noise machine or anything.

* Swaddling - Tight swaddling provides the continuous touching and support the fetus experienced while still in Mom's womb.

* Side/stomach position - You place your baby, while holding her, either on her left side to assist in digestion, or on her stomach to provide reassuring support. Once your baby is happily asleep, you can safely put her in her crib, on her back.

* Shushing Sounds - These sounds imitate the continual whooshing sound made by the blood flowing through arteries near the womb. This white noise can be in the form of a vacuum cleaner, a hair dryer, a fan and so on. The good news is that you can easily save the motors on your household appliances and get a white noise CD which can be played over and over again with no worries.

* Swinging - Newborns are used to the swinging motions that were present when they were still in Mom's womb. Every step mom took, every movement caused a swinging motion for your baby. After your baby is born, this calming motion, which was so comforting and familiar, is abruptly taken away. Your baby misses the motion and has a difficult time getting used to it not being there. "It's disorienting and unnatural," says Karp. Rocking, car rides, and other swinging movements all can help.

* Sucking - "Sucking has its effects deep within the nervous system," notes Karp, "and triggers the calming reflex and releases natural chemicals within the brain." This "S" can be accomplished with breast, bottle, pacifier or even a finger.

Olive James was a very unhappy baby the first 4-4.5 months of her life. Pacifiers were one of the only things that soothed her. I never, ever put her down to CIO. I held her all the time and she still was upset almost all the time and screamed/cried for several hours every day. She also had reflux. We took her to the pedi a couple times about it and she checked out fine besides the colic/reflux. They said she would grow out of it. She is still very temperamental (if something doesn't go her way she immediately has a meltdown) now at 7.5 months but is much, much happier.

If your baby doesn't want a pacifier then good for you (not talking to the OP specifically- just anyone) but some babies really like them! I don't think there's anything wrong with using them.

Isabel still has a pacifier at age 2 but we're currently trying to phase them out for her. We'll be trying to get OJ off hers much sooner.
Lindsey

Postby JenAsh3 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:51 pm

After 'breaking' my twins of pacis at 18 mos, I swore I would never use them again...BUT, after a few night's sleep when P wanted to use me as a paci, I gave in & tried it. She actually very seldom takes it now & never sleeps w/ one. I will admit that I do use it to try to soothe her when she wants to eat but I have to address one of my other kid's needs....it's never for more than 10 mins & it calms her & makes her happy...and keeps me from pulling my hair out! :wink:
I'm hopeful that since she doesn't want it often, that she'll wean herself from it WAY before a year!
Jen
A&D 12/12/07
P 10/6/09
JenAsh3
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kelly13 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:55 pm

I used one with my son. He never HAD to have it though, and I only gave it to him if he was fussing.

He gave it up at 5.5 months, and I never pushed it after that.
Kelly13
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby victoria_1024 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:12 pm

He never really liked the paci. I tried a few times but he didn't really seem to like it much. He prefers me as his paci apparently. Also I used to work with toddlers and I saw toddlers who struggled to give it up so I wasn't overly anxious to get him in the habit of having one anyway. But during those first few weeks when he nursed ALL the time I was sure wishing he would take the paci!!
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Lindsey » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:48 pm

victoria_1024 wrote:He never really liked the paci. I tried a few times but he didn't really seem to like it much. He prefers me as his paci apparently. Also I used to work with toddlers and I saw toddlers who struggled to give it up so I wasn't overly anxious to get him in the habit of having one anyway. But during those first few weeks when he nursed ALL the time I was sure wishing he would take the paci!!

off topic but I love your siggie pics! I can't believe he is already 8 months! Seems like the April due date babies were just being born. He looks so adorable :D I love that knit hat! Did you make it?
Lindsey

Postby mspretty » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:54 am

kali74b wrote:I give it to him because he has a need to suck, but he only needs it for a few minutes and then he spits it out. He uses it for soothing right before he sleeps and then when he is groggy he spits it out and lets himself fall asleep on his own.....it's so cute when he spits it out, he always smiles.....like thanks I needed that...now goodnight.

My lil girl does the same thing :) Seems to be the only time she needs it!
Me 26
DH 33
BFP 2/25/2009, 20DPO on DH B-Day!!!
1st :hb: 179 at 8wks 4days YAY!!
:hb: at 11wks 6days
:hb: 154 at 16wks 1 day
Baby Cyan Marie EDD 10/29/2009
Furrybaby 5 Chihuahua
Furrybaby 2 Chihuahua

ImageImage

ImageImage
mspretty
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Do you use a pacifier?

Postby molly » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:40 am

Ewa wrote:To be honest up until today I have looked negatively on them. I have them as an uneccessary prop to, put it bluntly, shut a baby up when it's inconveniant for the parent to see to it's needs.

Both my boys have had a paci and it has NEVER been used in the beginning or throughout thier time using them to "shut them up". Both of them loved to suck on their hands and fingers, through their swaddles all the time, as babies. Even after they had full feeds and would reject more milk, they were both unsettled until they were given a paci. In saying that, I use them mainly as a sleep aid, just as anyone would use a 'blankie', comforter or teddy. I have a friend who is an orthodontist and she says it is far easier to get rid of a dummy than to stop them from sucking on their thumb/fingers. I too, have heard that there are studies being done in dummies reducing SIDS as well as the benefit in using them with sleep. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with them and sometimes it does annoy me to keep it clean and always carry one - but also it is important that my children feel comforted, happy and secure - and a paci helps do this - rather not as something to disguise their needs - but that I am giving them what they need. If one or both of them had not liked a paci, I definitely wouldn't have forced it, but they both were instantly comforted by them and I'm sure their stress levels have been reduced on numerous occaisons by giving it to them. DS1 actually asks to go to bed for his nap in the day so that he can snuggle down, rest and have his dummy - how is that ignoring his needs? I don't agree with children walking around with them all day, but I do not see anything wrong with them for sleep time - especially when they only really use it when falling asleep. In the next few weeks DS1 will be getting rid of all his dummies, as I feel he is to old for one now - but a nurse did tell me that children have the need to suck for comfort until they are 3, so it is reasonable to have one until this time. It is bittersweet though, because I know he will be upset, I know he will probably drop his day sleep because he hasn't got it to comfort him, I know that he will miss it, I know that it will be like throwing away a beloved teddy bear/comforter etc. DS1 has it only for sleep time now or when he is very upset - not to "shut him up", but to make him feel better and comfort him...
ImageImage
ImageImage
molly
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mrsc84 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:11 am

i was never going to give my ds a paci, and to begin with he didnt need one but he began to comfort suck after bf, i didnt mind this at all and let him carry on but HE began to get cranky, he was sucking and milk was still coming out, he didnt want that he just wanted to suck, so id take him off hed be cranky id leave him on hed get mad, so after 2 weeks i "gave in" and popped a paci in he immediately was soothed, and was it causing me or him any harm? no! of course not! i wrestled with myself for days giving in but in hindsight i dont see it as a bad thing at all,
i most certainly do not give it to him to "shut him up" he isnt a really cryey baby and i have only ever offered it to him when he is tired and gettting cranky, or he has finished at the breast but would like to just suck some more, like a few pp mentioned, he will suck on it for a bit and then spit it out to actually sleep :lol:
im not sure about the whole getting rid of it scenario, he is only 3 months old and he only uses it for sleeping and a bit of extra sucking after eating, im not really bothered by it as i know he isnt reliant on it and can fall asleep without it when he is old enough to self soothe and understand more i guess i will think about it, but its not harming my child and its not harming me so im not overly worried about it!!
ally 25
darren 33
dsd 9
Joel-Jaydon born 17/aug/09 = 6lb 15oz

ImageImage

mrsc84
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Next

Return to Babies (Birth to One Year)