Poll: Would you put a 3m old on their tummy to sleep?

Sleepless nights. Breastfeeding vs Bottle. Baby's first milestones. Vaccinations. Teething. Crawling.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Would you put your 3m old to sleep on their tummy if that was the only way they slept for longer periods, knowing the risk of SIDS decreased 70% once the recommendations changed to "Back to Sleep" only?

Yes
34%
No
34%
Yes, only with a movement monitor
10%
No, I would work with what the baby needs to help them sleep better... that is safer. (swing, bouncy, etc)
21%

Total votes : 61

Poll: Would you put a 3m old on their tummy to sleep?

Postby MotoX Mom » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:28 pm

I have a friend who does this b/c their LO wont sleep on her back. Being concerned, I mentioned a movement monitor. I just dont understand how you can argue with a 70% reduction in death just by putting a young baby to sleep on their back?

I know I was put to bed on my stomach, but that was before they knew better. I just thinking learning from experience and the past is a good thing.

Would you put your 3m old to sleep on their tummy if that was the only way they slept for longer periods, knowing the risk of SIDS decreased 70% once the recommendations changed to "Back to Sleep" only?
Last edited by MotoX Mom on Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Me 42, DH 34, Happily Married 7 years
Proud and grateful to be a SAHM to our precious girl!

2009 IVF#1
MotoX Mom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jhough0903 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:43 pm

I didn't want to put my LO on his stomach unless he was sleeping on my chest (which is what happened alot when he was a newborn). I think Matthew slept in his vibrating bouncy seat until he was 2-3 months old. I know a few people who lost LOs because of sleeping on their tummys but also know a few who have had no problems.
Image DD 6/09/11 Image
Image DS 6/12/09 Image
Jennifer:34 DH:32 Married 09/06/03 Furbabies: Kayla, Meyah, & Belle
jhough0903
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ivycrystals » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:02 pm

I voted No, but to use the swing, bouncer, etc. My comfort level with tummy sleeping wouldn't let me do that. But then again, I've been co-sleeping and I know a lot of people wouldn't be comfortable with that.

I would be a little less concerned if the baby had good head control. That again is just my personal comfort level.

FWIW, Leah is 8 months old and I still don't let her sleep on her tummy.
ivycrystals
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MotoX Mom » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:39 pm

Yes, sorry, the poll would be in their own crib in another room. :)

2009 IVF#1
MotoX Mom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jaysmom » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:44 pm

Both my kids have slept on their tummy. With my ds it was the ONLY way he would sleep longer then 5 minutes. We tried everything and nothing other then my arms, or tummy sleeping worked. He did have really good head control early on, so that made it easier but yea no sleep at all for 10 weeks and your ready to do anything you can to get sleep. :)

DD ~ 10
DS ~ 9-3-08
jaysmom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jadie_f » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:57 pm

I do, at 3 months because she can move her head so well I do let her nap during the day on her tummy because if she doesnt nap well she doesnt sleep well, but I am watching her, I never have my baby asleep in another room without me there. At night she sleeps with me all night, belly to belly or cradled in my arm. I have the angelcare but found it gave me little relief, I feel best (and she sleeps best) in my arms.

Just an FYI, babies who cosleep actually have much lower SIDS rates than those who sleep alone.
Di Di Ci Ci
:hb: 10/19/09 :hb:
Jay Jay Nay Nay is here! Born au naturel in my CAR!!!
:hb: 4/26/11 :hb:

And for my next trick....surrogacy! BFP 5dp5dt! EDD 2/22!

http://mylifeisblindhope.blogspot.com/
jadie_f
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MotoX Mom » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:42 pm

jadie_f wrote:Just an FYI, babies who cosleep actually have much lower SIDS rates than those who sleep alone.

I have heard this before too :) I think your daughter is about 4 lbs bigger than Riley...maybe that is why I cannot imagine her on her tummy!

amanda17988 wrote:at 12 weeks LJ could roll from back to belly to put himself to sleep that way then at 15 weeks he was rolling belly to back.

Is my daughter just way behind on milestones? She is 14w and cannot roll over either way. She is just barely starting to be aware of her hands and barely moving objects toward her mouth. She doesnt even really reach for toys yet. She was a few weeks early, not sure if that has something to do with it? When she does tummy time, she basically smushes her face down on the mat..she will lift a little and can barely turn side to side. Then gets mad and cries.

2009 IVF#1
MotoX Mom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Leighsah » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:43 am

My son was a tummy sleeper......there is much more to SIDS than tummy sleeping. My pedi said she was perfectly fine with my son on his tummy since I was BFing and not a smoker.....FFing and/or smoking both increase the risk of SIDS quite a bit.....she said my BF'd baby's chances of SIDS were practically zero, even with sleeping on his tummy. And we did not have a monitor of any kind.....I think they are kind of silly (JMHO....I know some people love them).

Leighsah
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:09 am

I agree with Lisa, there is much more to SIDs than the tummy sleeping. Leo has been a tummy sleeper since he was about a month or so.
Certified Lactation Educator and Breastfeeding Counselor
Mum to M, nursling 3-7-07 - 11-7-08 :hb: and Leo 4-13-09
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babygirl4 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:16 am

My son is 3 months and we just moved him into his crib as of last night. He has been a tummy sleeper since 10 weeks old. We too have the Angel Care Monitor which we use. My son has good head control and can move his head side tos side and lift his head up as well. I am bfing and he sleeps with a soother.
 [IMG]http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww276/stkittsgirl/002.jpg[IMG]
babygirl4
Angel
Angel

Postby Bee-Jeweled » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:57 am

the AMA has just recently discovered a link between SIDS and the levels of serotonin in a baby's brain, which regulates a baby's sleep, heart rate and breathing.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/02/03/sids.serotonin/index.html

"Researchers believe a low level of serotonin may be the "fundamental abnormality" in babies who die from SIDS. In the brainstem, serotonin acts as an alarm system, waking up a baby when breathing is disrupted. Babies without it can be unaware that they are not breathing enough oxygen, causing them to die in their sleep, according to the study."

i would be very nervous to put my baby to sleep on her tummy before she can roll over by herself.
Bee-Jeweled
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Earthmomma » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:38 am

i put my child on his back until i woke up one morning and he had rolled himself to his stomach, even then i continued to put him on his back, i have never, even at 1 year old, have pt him on his stomach( and we have the angel care)

i cant turn a blind eye on a 70% reduction of SIDS
ME:23 :love: DH:26 Married 5 years
DS- 3 Years
DD-3 Months
Non CIO,Non-Vax,Homeopathic/Natural Healing,ERF,Gentle Disciplining Mama.
Earthmomma
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Leighsah » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:17 am

Bee-Jeweled wrote:the AMA has just recently discovered a link between SIDS and the levels of serotonin in a baby's brain, which regulates a baby's sleep, heart rate and breathing.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/02/03/sids.serotonin/index.html

"Researchers believe a low level of serotonin may be the "fundamental abnormality" in babies who die from SIDS. In the brainstem, serotonin acts as an alarm system, waking up a baby when breathing is disrupted. Babies without it can be unaware that they are not breathing enough oxygen, causing them to die in their sleep, according to the study."

i would be very nervous to put my baby to sleep on her tummy before she can roll over by herself.

I saw this a few days ago....frankly, it didn't impress me. Who cares if the babies have lower serotonin levels?? The only thing that matters is what CAUSED the lower serotonin levels....which they do not tell us. It also does not account for babies who have died from SIDS who were AWAKE when they died....not all SIDS babies were asleep when they passed away.

Leighsah
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Next

Return to Babies (Birth to One Year)