Poll: Would you put a 3m old on their tummy to sleep?

Sleepless nights. Breastfeeding vs Bottle. Baby's first milestones. Vaccinations. Teething. Crawling.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Would you put your 3m old to sleep on their tummy if that was the only way they slept for longer periods, knowing the risk of SIDS decreased 70% once the recommendations changed to "Back to Sleep" only?

Yes
34%
No
34%
Yes, only with a movement monitor
10%
No, I would work with what the baby needs to help them sleep better... that is safer. (swing, bouncy, etc)
21%

Total votes : 61

Postby Bee-Jeweled » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:49 am

Leighsah wrote:
Bee-Jeweled wrote:the AMA has just recently discovered a link between SIDS and the levels of serotonin in a baby's brain, which regulates a baby's sleep, heart rate and breathing.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/02/03/sids.serotonin/index.html

"Researchers believe a low level of serotonin may be the "fundamental abnormality" in babies who die from SIDS. In the brainstem, serotonin acts as an alarm system, waking up a baby when breathing is disrupted. Babies without it can be unaware that they are not breathing enough oxygen, causing them to die in their sleep, according to the study."

i would be very nervous to put my baby to sleep on her tummy before she can roll over by herself.

I saw this a few days ago....frankly, it didn't impress me. Who cares if the babies have lower serotonin levels?? The only thing that matters is what CAUSED the lower serotonin levels....which they do not tell us. It also does not account for babies who have died from SIDS who were AWAKE when they died....not all SIDS babies were asleep when they passed away.

i think mothers who place babies on their tummies to sleep should care. the article is not saying this is the ONLY cause of SIDS, but that there is a link.

The only thing that matters is what CAUSED the lower serotonin levels

why is that the only thing that matters? just because we don't know WHY something is true doesn't mean it doesn't matter that it is true. i don't understand that ...
Bee-Jeweled
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby dines » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:00 am

My baby slept on me for the first two months. He had reflux and it ensured the best sleep for us both. After that we moved him to his crib and he could only sleep on his stomach so thats what we did. I felt he could lift his head at that time and though I was worried I know many generations put babies on their stomachs and were fine so I tried to not think about the what ifs and was happy that he actually slept. I have my own thoughts about SIDS and think there is an underlying factor in many cases that goes undiagnosed...not to say it doesnt happen to the healthiest of babies but they may be the even more rare cases. Just my 2 cents.
dines
Star Member
Star Member

Postby kellie84 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:05 am

None of the answers really apply to me. I do when I can see him, I'm a nervous mama though. We bedshare and he usually sleeps on his side but sometimes he wants to sleep on his belly. He hates being on his back. Although he could roll onto his belly himself at that age anyways so even if he was in a crib he'd likely do it anyways.

Funny story - At Christmas I was looking through DH's baby pictures. There was one of him about 2 months old sleeping on his belly in a crib with huge fluffy bumper and several heavy comforters. DH looked at it and his mouth dropped to the floor. Times have definitley changed. :P Back then belly sleeping was recomended to prevent flat heads.

I wonder what the rates of SIDS were in the time of belly sleepers to nowadays? Anyone have it?
Mommy to *R* 04/07 & *J* 09/09
kellie84
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Leighsah » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:54 am

Bee-Jeweled wrote:
Leighsah wrote:

The only thing that matters is what CAUSED the lower serotonin levels

why is that the only thing that matters? just because we don't know WHY something is true doesn't mean it doesn't matter that it is true. i don't understand that ...

It's easy to understand. They have lower serotonin levels....so what? What are they planning to do about it? What causes it? How can it be prevented? I guarantee that lower serotonin levels are not CAUSED by tummy sleeping....that doesn't make sense. So in the grand scheme of things....it doesn't matter that they have lower serotonin levels.....it matters what CAUSES it, how to TREAT it, and how to PREVENT it......it also doesn't say whether these babies already had lower serotonin levels BEFORE they died. Were they born that way? Or did the serotonin levels drop off while they were in the process of dying?

Essentially that study tells us nothing.

Leighsah
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Gabbysmama » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:51 am

Once Gabrielle could get there on her own, I let her sleep however she wanted (about 4.5 months). I don't know if I'd be comfortable with full on tummy sleeping before then, but I would do a side position with a sleep positioner.
***Patti***
Gabrielle Victoria - 4.30.2007
Katherine Elizabeth - 11.17.10
Gabbysmama
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Bee-Jeweled » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:00 pm

Leighsah wrote:Essentially that study tells us nothing.

i must be reading too far into it - when i read it i see a recommendation to put your LO to sleep on his/her back, which was the OP's question.

"To avoid the risk of SIDS, she and other doctors recommend that parents make sure that babies can breathe uninhibited during sleep."

Leighsah wrote:It's easy to understand. They have lower serotonin levels....so what? What are they planning to do about it? What causes it? How can it be prevented?

"The next phase of the study, which was funded by the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland, will focus on why some babies lack enough tryptophan hydroxylase to produce serotonin, said the study's author, Dr. Hannah Kinney, who is affiliated with Children's Hospital Boston in Massachusetts."

to throw another example out there ... i don't know what causes cancer, but i'm sure going to do my best to avoid doing the things that have been LINKED to it (eg. smoking).
Bee-Jeweled
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Leighsah » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:08 pm

Bee-Jeweled wrote:
Leighsah wrote:Essentially that study tells us nothing.

i must be reading too far into it - when i read it i see a recommendation to put your LO to sleep on his/her back, which was the OP's question.

"To avoid the risk of SIDS, she and other doctors recommend that parents make sure that babies can breathe uninhibited during sleep."

Leighsah wrote:It's easy to understand. They have lower serotonin levels....so what? What are they planning to do about it? What causes it? How can it be prevented?

"The next phase of the study, which was funded by the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland, will focus on why some babies lack enough tryptophan hydroxylase to produce serotonin, said the study's author, Dr. Hannah Kinney, who is affiliated with Children's Hospital Boston in Massachusetts."

to throw another example out there ... i don't know what causes cancer, but i'm sure going to do my best to avoid doing the things that have been LINKED to it (eg. smoking).

My point is simply that serotonin levels have nothing to do with tummy sleeping. The article does not say that. They simply throw "back to sleep" at the very end as something to prevent SIDS in general.....it has nothing to do with serotonin. If the baby doesn't have enough serotonin to activate the brain stem to breathe, then it wouldn't matter whether the child was lying on his or her back, side, or tummy. And again....there are way more factors with SIDS than tummy sleeping.

Leighsah
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jaysmom » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:22 pm

Here's my thing on tummy sleeping and SIDS. 9 years ago when I had my DD it was "place them on their sides to sleep to prevent SIDS", 12 years ago when my bff had her ds the "campaign" was put them on their tummies to sleep to prevent SIDS. 17 years ago when my mom had my sister it was "best" to place them on their backs.

What does all that tell me, that research changes CONSTANTLY on how to prevent SIDS. :)

DD ~ 10
DS ~ 9-3-08
jaysmom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby bethann » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:33 pm

Definitely not. I have a friend who had twins and their little boy was a "tummy sleeper"....3 months old and died of SIDS while sleeping on his tummy. Definitely not a chance that I would be willing to take.
Me: 28, DH: 31
2 furbabies Vegas and Titan
IVF #2 a success! Twins! Born 8-9-10
Surprise BFP the natural way! Baby Ava due in December 2011!
bethann
Angel
Angel

Postby MomTo2Boys » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:24 pm

Brayden has been on his tummy since about 3 months, because he was breaking loose from his swaddle, and hated being on his back without it. He had head control by then, so when he was on his tummy he could turn his head from side to side. I was worried the first couple nights, but after that I was comfortable.
~*Melissa*~
DS1 05.07.09 - born at 34w 4d
DS2 07.26.10 - born at 35w 2d
DS3 11.01.11 - born at 36w 5d

ImageImageImage
MomTo2Boys
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babygirl4 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:25 pm

amanda17988 wrote:you said it JAYSMOM!!!!!!!! i totally agree with you!! let your baby sleep they way they want. the bottom line is SIDS is usually "wired" into the baby and its going to be affected by it no matter how they sleep, all of these measures are only "thought" to lower the chances. my sisters neighbors baby died at 7 months old just before xmas, the baby could crawl and everything, he died on his BACK of SIDS, just stopped breathing. no explanation was given except babies up to 1 year are at risk for it and in some cases it cant be prevented, its like a timebomb that you cant dodge. or at least that is what experts told her.

I totally agree with you on this. Some kids are just "wired" that way. Everyone yes should take the appropriate measures to prevent it. I feel that if your child is at the milestones to turn their head and using a monitor like the Angel Care help. My husband mentioned something good too. If your child sleeps on their back or remains on their back so much they can get the "flat head."
 [IMG]http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww276/stkittsgirl/002.jpg[IMG]
babygirl4
Angel
Angel

Postby haleyf » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:32 pm

jaysmom wrote:Here's my thing on tummy sleeping and SIDS. 9 years ago when I had my DD it was "place them on their sides to sleep to prevent SIDS", 12 years ago when my bff had her ds the "campaign" was put them on their tummies to sleep to prevent SIDS. 17 years ago when my mom had my sister it was "best" to place them on their backs.

What does all that tell me, that research changes CONSTANTLY on how to prevent SIDS. :)

ITA!!! my mom was told to put her kids on their tummy, dh's mom was told to put her kids on their tummy. Then my aunt 9yrs ago was told to put her kids on their sides.. now it's the back.. seems to me they change it every couple years.. Sophie hates being touched on the tummy, hates tummy time and all that so we put her on her back or side. I feel better with the side because if she happens to vomit and can't get it out of her mouth (rare but has happend) then I know if shes on her side it will run out of her mouth but her face won't be in it either.. So thats the only reason we do what we do..
DD1: 11/4/09
DD2: 7/19/11
Expecting Baby #3 July 2014!

haleyf
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby tgibson8678 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:58 pm

Just chiming in here and this is just tgibson's philosophy, (not intended to kick or judge any mamas b/c I love all of ya! :) ) I think ONE infant death linked to tummy sleeping is one death too many for ME to put William on his tummy to sleep and he sleeps with me! I'm sorry but it took me 2 years to get pregnant and many a nauseous night, morning, and afternoon to get him to this world safely! I will not be taking my chances on him leaving me just b/c I want him to pipe down so I can get some sleep. As I said in another thread, as a mama, losing sleep is what I signed up for when I chose to become a parent. 8) I know that many other factors are linked to SIDS but I'm afraid to take my chances. So if something does happen to my LO, I will know that it had to have been out of my hands b/c I did everything I could to protect him. :)

ETA: I like what a previous mama said about cancer. No one knows the causes of some cancers. However, I will do all I can to reduce my risk, like not smoking, self breast exams, routine pap screenings, etc. I may still get cancer, but I know I've done the best I could to prevent it! :D

I LOVE MY BUMBO!

I LOVE BATHTIME!

tgibson8678
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby MotoX Mom » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:32 am

Wow, I have to say, I am surprised to see the Yes's ahead in the poll!

tgibson - I tend to agree, I too have the "better safe than sorry" approach. Its such a simple change that has proven to be very effective.

It is a little confusing as to why the rules keep changing, but I think the goal is to get closer and closer to answers.

This article was interesting...regarding the seratonin possibility:

http://www.babycenter.com/204_serotonin ... pe=2UwhyRa

Me 42, DH 34, Happily Married 7 years
Proud and grateful to be a SAHM to our precious girl!

2009 IVF#1
MotoX Mom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

PreviousNext

Return to Babies (Birth to One Year)