Poll: Would you put a 3m old on their tummy to sleep?

Sleepless nights. Breastfeeding vs Bottle. Baby's first milestones. Vaccinations. Teething. Crawling.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Would you put your 3m old to sleep on their tummy if that was the only way they slept for longer periods, knowing the risk of SIDS decreased 70% once the recommendations changed to "Back to Sleep" only?

Yes
34%
No
34%
Yes, only with a movement monitor
10%
No, I would work with what the baby needs to help them sleep better... that is safer. (swing, bouncy, etc)
21%

Total votes : 61

Postby Bee-Jeweled » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:21 am

tgibson8678 wrote:Just chiming in here and this is just tgibson's philosophy, (not intended to kick or judge any mamas b/c I love all of ya! :) ) I think ONE infant death linked to tummy sleeping is one death too many for ME to put William on his tummy to sleep and he sleeps with me! I'm sorry but it took me 2 years to get pregnant and many a nauseous night, morning, and afternoon to get him to this world safely! I will not be taking my chances on him leaving me just b/c I want him to pipe down so I can get some sleep. As I said in another thread, as a mama, losing sleep is what I signed up for when I chose to become a parent. 8) I know that many other factors are linked to SIDS but I'm afraid to take my chances. So if something does happen to my LO, I will know that it had to have been out of my hands b/c I did everything I could to protect him. :)

ETA: I like what a previous mama said about cancer. No one knows the causes of some cancers. However, I will do all I can to reduce my risk, like not smoking, self breast exams, routine pap screenings, etc. I may still get cancer, but I know I've done the best I could to prevent it! :D

thank you tgibson - you made my point better than i was able to. :wink:
Bee-Jeweled
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Bee-Jeweled » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:27 am

Motoxchic wrote:Wow, I have to say, I am surprised to see the Yes's ahead in the poll!

tgibson - I tend to agree, I too have the "better safe than sorry" approach. Its such a simple change that has proven to be very effective.

It is a little confusing as to why the rules keep changing, but I think the goal is to get closer and closer to answers.

This article was interesting...regarding the seratonin possibility:

http://www.babycenter.com/204_serotonin ... pe=2UwhyRa

i was going to post this article the other day too but thought it might be overkill ... this was my reason for bringing it up in the first place. yes, it's a biological problem that they don't perfectly understand yet but are closing in on an answer to and know that reducing environmental factors (one being sleeping on tummy) can help reduce the risk.

"This study is getting close to the underlying mechanism," said Dr. Raymond Pitetti, associate director of emergency medicine at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh.

"The goal would be to develop a screening tests so we can identify someone who might need a monitor or to be more closely watched," he said.

In the meantime, he and Kinney advised parents to continue to put their babies to sleep on their back, to avoid soft bedding, to ensure adequate ventilation in the room where the baby sleeps and maybe even add a ceiling fan to the room. Some research has suggested that putting babies to bed with a pacifier in the mouth may help prevent SIDS, too.

"The most important thing for parents to know is that SIDS is a biological problem. It's a disease process, and right now, there's no way to identify it in advance," said Kinney. That why it's so important to take away any environmental challenges, like soft bedding and sleeping on the stomach, she added."
Bee-Jeweled
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby illbeyourpride » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:36 am

Ds didn't sleep more than 30 minutes for his first two weeks of life. It was miserable. He basically screamed when he was placed on his back. We stuck it out for a bit, but finally he was able to lift his head while on his tummy. We got the go ahead from our pedi and a movement monitor and he now sleeps in his crib (in our room) on his tummy.

I don't think I'd feel comfortable letting him sleep on his tummy without the movement monitor or if he couldn't lift his head.
Heather, 25

DS1-Archer 12/17/09 Full term, 7lbs 2oz & 19"
DS2-Cohen 1/7/12 @ 34 weeks due to PPROM. 5lbs 7oz & 18". 11 day NICU stay.

Cloth diapering, bf'ing, SAHM.
illbeyourpride
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby HH » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:58 pm

I wouldn't do it, because I couldn't sleep worrying about SIDS. If she is not going to change, maybe suggest to her to use a fan in her child's room. I read that it significantly reduces the risk of SIDS.
ImageImage
HH
Angel
Angel

Postby lizzen » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:12 pm

All my boys have been tummy sleepers from very early on. But they also sleep/slept in our room either in a PNP or in our bed. We also BF and kept a fan going at all times and they were never exposed to cigarette smoke. Maybe if we hadn't done all those other things I wouldn't have felt comfortable with it? IDK.
The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow, For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow. So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep. I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

:hb: Mommy to my three boys!!! :hb:

ImageImage
lizzen
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby luvin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:16 pm

I answered no, but I'd look at other things to help them sleep.

However, I was still sleeping in the recliner holding him at 3 months. haha Then I finally got up the nerve to cosleep, and finally around 6 months I put him in his crib (in our room). That's about the time he was flopping around in his sleep, so if he turned over in the night and I found him on his belly, I usually let him be. Even with sleeping in a recliner holding him I had a fan in the room and just drug it into which room we had, and then used a angelcare monitor with the crib...paranoid much? haha

So, having said that, if my next one does better sleeping alone, and is better at tummy sleeping, for my own piece of mind, I think I'd still try to get them on thier back or side or find a different way that they like to sleep. For some reason, side sleeping just seems to make better sense to me, but he wouldn't stay that way more than 2 seconds.
It's a girl!!
Officially: Evelyn Paige
[/url]ImageImage
luvin
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Previous

Return to Babies (Birth to One Year)