What do I do when DD does not nap well?

Sleepless nights. Breastfeeding vs Bottle. Baby's first milestones. Vaccinations. Teething. Crawling.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

What do I do when she does not nap well for that nap period?

Put in back in the swing temporarily to get some sleep and continue on tomorrow?
18%
Keep her in the crib until she sleeps?
6%
Get her up, when not sleeping, play for a bit and try again on the next nap?
65%
Other
12%

Total votes : 17

What do I do when DD does not nap well?

Postby MotoX Mom » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:57 pm

We are transitioning DD out of her swing into the crib for naps. Its been 3 days, with a little success. I am not one to CIO. She has fussed/cried a little, but its very controlled and I go in to check/soothe or nurse her (if I am pretty sure she is hungry) after about 10m or so. She fell asleep after 2 episodes of fuss/crying yesterday, but it took a lot of back and forth. In 4 hours, she got 2 50m naps.

So, my question is, when/if do i revert back to get her some sleep temporarily? I dont want her overtired, but she keeps leaning forward in her swing and ends up laying on the side of it. She is strapped in and I watch her closely.

FYI - she sleeps very well at night. I have been getting 3-6 hour blocks. When she wakes, I go in and nurse her for about 10m and she goes right back down, no fussing/crying nothing. (I wish naps could be like this!).

Me 42, DH 34, Happily Married 7 years
Proud and grateful to be a SAHM to our precious girl!

2009 IVF#1
MotoX Mom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby NotBarbaraBush » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:15 pm

DD sleeps about 50 min in 4 hours. It seems normal to me. :dunno:

How is she when she wakes? Is she crying and still obviously tired or does she seem satisfied?
NotBarbaraBush
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MotoX Mom » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:00 pm

She is mostly a happy baby when awake. This "no sleeping" is a new thing as we are transitioning.

Am I expecting too much? Her naps would be about 2-3h in the swing, so I am feeling like she is not getting enough?

2009 IVF#1
MotoX Mom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby NicoleK03 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:58 pm

DS usually sleeps about 30 min and i rock him back to sleep (bad I know) and lay him down and he will usually sleep for another 45 or so
Me:24 DH:25 DS:Born 10/01/09 DS2: Born 5/11/11
Married:06/03/06
Image<br />Image
NicoleK03
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babygirl4 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:24 am

My little guy who is almost 6 months takes approx 4-5 nanps during the day. His naps start out long and eventually get shorter as the day goes. In regards to your poll if my son wakes and has only slept for 30 min i will try to comfort him giving him his soother, rubbing his back in hopes he falls back to sleep for another 30 min. If that doesn't work i'll get him up and try to be really active him so his next nap he makes up for it but that isn't always the case. If i may suggest.....i found by starting a sleep log (wake tme, nap times etc) helped me to get him on a good napping schedule.
&nbsp;[IMG]http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww276/stkittsgirl/002.jpg[IMG]
babygirl4
Angel
Angel

Postby Egray » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:37 am

I really think it all depends on the baby. If she is happy during the day and doesn't seem tired then I would say let her be.

Both my girls sleep 45 minutes in the morning and then take another nap a few hours after they get up from the first and that one lasts about a hour and a half to two hours so they get maybe 3 hours a day total and they do fine on it.
Egray
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MotoX Mom » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:14 pm

Yes, but I dont have the tray on it. Hmmmm, I didnt even think about using the tray! (with a pillow). I may try that tomorrow for her second nap if she does not sleep. We are going on a total nap time of about 3 hours in TWO days. Eventually (if not already) she is going to be so overtired. I think she actually is, as she is SOOO wired, its ridiculous!

2009 IVF#1
MotoX Mom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby petesgirl2 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:39 am

NicoleK03 wrote:DS usually sleeps about 30 min and i rock him back to sleep (bad I know) and lay him down and he will usually sleep for another 45 or so

This.
petesgirl2
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby roxy359 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:11 pm

Whats your routine look like? Is she up very long between naps? check out www.babywhispererforums.com and look at Easy routines, shes prob over tired and that would wake her up, where as the swing lulls her through sleep cycle

hope this helps... good luck
roxy359
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MotoX Mom » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:00 am

petesgirl2 wrote:
NicoleK03 wrote:DS usually sleeps about 30 min and i rock him back to sleep (bad I know) and lay him down and he will usually sleep for another 45 or so

This.

Oh, i SO wish she would go back :( She does at night just fine, but when I try to nurse/rock her back, she is not having it.

She did better yesterday, put herself back down and slept a total of 80 minutes. This is a HUGE improvement, so I am feeling better about all this. So far, I have not reverted back to the swing (i think i impressed myself!) lol

She is also getting better about putting herself to sleep :D ...never thought we'd get here.

Do you think her ability to PUT herself to sleep to begin with will help her put herself BACK to sleep if she wakes?

roxy - She is only up a max of 2h or so. If she is not sleepy it is sometimes a little longer. I am sure she is overtired this week since we are transitioning, but under the "swing" circumstances, I would say probably not. - thanks for the link, i will check it out. :)

2009 IVF#1
MotoX Mom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: What do I do when DD does not nap well?

Postby Petlaw » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:34 pm

Out of wubbanub, mam and nuk I can clearly say that wubbanub is the best pacifier for baby. Does anyone has any opinions or views to share regarding it?
wubbanub
Petlaw

Return to Babies (Birth to One Year)